USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

The ACC needs to approach 5 of the biggest remaining PAC-12 schools and create a bicoastal structure. If they can bring in the 2 Arizona Schools, oregon, and washington, and then Stanford...the ACC will have changed enough that they can renegotate that ESPN TV deal, likely significantly. Won't be SEC/Big 10 money, but can get much closer.
Would those schools prefer the ACC or B12?

Would those schools prefer the ACC or B12?
Very fair question. I certainly would make a play however.

I could see the Zona schools being more in line with B-12 schools, but Oregon, WA, Stanford...i feel like they may be better fits with the ACC.

Couple thoughts, trying to be completely unbiased.

1- Relegation is impossible in college sports. Kids get recruited to go to schools, it is not transfer and free agency based. Relegation isn’t happening

2- let’s list teams that immediately I think are less value than Syracuse. (Wake forest, duke, bc, Pitt, Louisville).

3- This is about viewers and markets. Not about what have you done for me lately. This is a long term solution type of thing. They are not going to take a wake forest who has been good recently but doesn’t bring viewers and small enrollment.

4- think about markets confrences want to get into (recruiting, viewership, fanbase, marketing). I am worried. We are not a top 20 program in the country. But I still think we are decently positioned. They are going to require enough teams for content. I get cutting out the dead weight. I don’t think Syracuse is viewed as dead weight though. Yes, our sports have dwindled the last couple years but again, this is long term view.
1 - Look around, it is kind of transfer and free agency based
2 - Duke is a blue blood BB school that does drive eyeballs, BC/Pitt have large metro areas with a decent alumni base, Wake is small and we're prob positioned better than them, Louisville is very similar to us overall with decent history in both sports
3 - nods
4 - yep

Please stop. Send Syracuse to Dr Kevorkian if this is the conference we will be in.

Send me to the Holy Cross football gulag if need be. At least I can go see them play vs heading to Guam to see SU in the Sun Bowl.

At this point rip the bandaid off and just destroy the entire remaining conferences and rebuild from the rubble. Think hoops and go from there
1656683320892.jpeg

I think I heard on Packer and Durham this morning, if the ACC starting adding teams, besides ND, that could effect ACC’s GOR.

enough talk about the damn bevo.

ive told you all for years that is the most useless of the P5, if the PAC and ACC want to survive at all...they have to pick it apart right now.

the bevo is certainly dead.

most likely so are the ACC and PAC.

it would be great if the b1g announced 10 conf games to be scheduled going forward...just to squeeze ND and get this all over quick.

LOL. ND in the SEC. Yeah, that is a perfect match.

Finebaum has lost his mind.
FWI, Georgia fans rave about the experience in their Home/Home with Notre Dame. I think the experience, and ND fans, surprised a lot of UGA fans, and they would love to see more games with them in the future.

I dont disagree it's shoving a square peg through a round hole, but so is UCLA/USC to Big 10.

This is going to turn into a pissing match, and SEC fans don't want to lose. At the end of the day, SEC want to say and know that they are the outright best conference.

Last edited:
I think BC and Pitt are more valuable than SU based on their television markets. Everything is eyeballs and Boston College can provide the Boston market which I think it top 7-8 in the country.

I don't factor on field performance as a detriment for any of those 3 teams I mentioned. I think it will come down to television networks. Remember BC was ahead of Syracuse in the 2003 pecking order too ultimately. I know there was other factors involved but the ACC took them over us ultimately for some reason and at that time we were the better football product
I disagree for the fact that I don’t believe BC or Pitt are as valuable because of the lack of fans. It’s not necessarily TV sets that will matter. It is total fan base and streaming. Who is going to pay for these channels. The teams that have a lot of fans. IMO I believe there are more Syracuse fans than BC or Pitt fans. Both locations are more geared towards professional sports and Pitt is an afterthought to Penn State. Just my opinion.

I still think the ACC is going to try one more Hail Mary to establish itself as a strong #3 that, if nothing else, could be the destination of choice for anyone not special enough to be in the 2 clubs of 20.

And I think it’s not just about ND. They are going to have a plan B. And it starts with adding schools and being able to renegotiate the TV contract as a result

Will it work ? I don’t know. But I don’t think they are just going to roll over and die.

yeah, that wont happen, but as Chip said...2 x 32 could.

both are sortve drawing a new mason/dixon line...

FWI, Georgia fans rave about the experience in their Home/Home with Notre Dame. I think the experience, and fans, surprised a lot of them, and they would love to see more games with them in the future.

I dont disagree it's shoving a square peg through a round hole, but some is UCLA/USC to Big 10.

Plus, at the end of the day, this is going to turn into a pissing match, and SEC fans don't want to lose. At the end of the day, they want to say and know, they are the outright best conference.
I don't doubt the SEC would like to add ND.

I question whether ND would ever want to associated with the SEC. The academics are bad. The ethics are bad. And boiled peanuts are disgusting.

Last edited:
ACC (1/5 + 6 + 2misc) = 14 games
Boston College (MA)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Duke (NC)
Wake Forest (NC)
UCF (FL)
Miami (FL)
Tulane (LA)
Baylor (TX)
Houston (TX)
Big 12 (1/5 + 6 + 2misc) = 14 games
Iowa St (IA)
Kansas St (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Texas Tech (TX)
TCU (TX)
Colorado St (CO)
BYU (UT)
Boise St (ID)
Oregon St (OR)
Washington St (WA)
Arizona St (AZ)
San Diego St (CA)
Like the thinking, but no way cincy wouldn’t be big 12 considering they’re just joining that conference

I don't doubt the SEC would like to add ND.

I question whether ND would ever want to associated with the SEC. The academics are bad. The ethics are bad. And boiled peanuts are disgusting.
Notre Dame is the only king piece left on the chess board. IMO, SEC will do whatever it takes to keep Big10 from getting it. Whether that is joining the SEC directly, or setting up some type of series with the SEC (while remaining in the ACC), etc.

Notre Dame will do whatever it takes to avoid joining the Big10 until they absolutely have to.

so much for the 3-3-5 model we were all excited about… we just can’t have nice things as Syracuse fans

Agreed, it is in the works now...
Too bad they signed that GOR. 2036 is going to happen before you know it though. ;)

Too bad they signed that GOR. 2036 is going to happen before you know it though. ;)
GOR is inconsequential to them, They easily buy there way out of it. Remember the GOR only extends to the non football sports. Everything I’ve read is that the football issue is not a problem to get out of.

GOR is inconsequential to them, They easily buy there way out of it. Remember the GOR only extends to the non football sports. Everything I’ve read is that the football issue is not a problem to get out of.
No, you don't have the facts right. Not at all.

I have included a link so you can educate yourself on this issue.

Notre Dame joins the ACC

The Irish are hitched to a pair of television contracts. The deal with NBC runs through 2025 and draws approximately $15 million per year. ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC.

Football is not bound by the GOR, only the other sports. While bball and lax would be an issue they would just pay a large fee and move on.
Exactly, the math of going to the b10 makes so much sense. I expect this to happen easily within a year.

ND will buy its way out of any ACC contracts. I have heard the range of $150-175 million.

ND will recoup that in about 3 years with a Big Ten payout of $100 million a year.

Notre Dame joins the ACC

The Irish are hitched to a pair of television contracts. The deal with NBC runs through 2025 and draws approximately $15 million per year. ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC.

Notre Dame joins the ACC

I am educated my point is ND doesn’t give a flying -fudge about the GOR, they will buy their way out of it. They have the resources and alumni base to do it easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom