USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

yeah, that wont happen, but as Chip said...2 x 32 could.

both are sortve drawing a new mason/dixon line...

The real question is what it does to revenue per team. But I'm guessing the Big 10 and SEC can do whatever they want, they have all the negotiating power.

2 X 32 could just appease schools that want to play more games regionally. There's no way USC/UCLA will be able to play ALL but 1 conference game thousands of miles from campus. Logistically it's insane. Closest trip, other than each other, is 1,500 miles to the corn fields of Nebraska.

Not to go all KingOtto, but 2 X 32 would allow them to create 4 divisions of 8 teams with some sense of regionality. Instead of a CCG, they can have a Conference Final 4, or Final 8. And there's your 8-16 team playoff.

No, you don't have the facts right. Not at all.

I have included a link so you can educate yourself on this issue.

Notre Dame joins the ACC

The Irish are hitched to a pair of television contracts. The deal with NBC runs through 2025 and draws approximately $15 million per year. ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC.

Where does this stop? If it goes down to 2 super conferences, seems like there needs to be like a 50 year agreement between Fox/BIG and ESPN/SEC where the revenue is the same for each school/conference, or else we will be at the scenario again shortly after the super conferences are formed

GOR is inconsequential to them, They easily buy there way out of it. Remember the GOR only extends to the non football sports. Everything I’ve read is that the football issue is not a problem to get out of.
The GOR does not cover ND football, since football is not part of the ACC and NBC holds ND's TV rights, not ESPN or the ACC.

The GOR covers the other ND sports. That and the exit fee will have to be negotiated.

Would the Big 10 absord ND immediately? I'm curious how the transition would work and would the ACC just throw them out after they cash the check. ND actually cares about their olympic sports so i'm curious on how they implement.

This is probably happening too it sounds like. The smoke coming from touchdown jesus is palpable

I am educated my point is ND doesn’t give a flying -fudge about the GOR, they will buy their way out of it. They have the resources and alumni base to do it easily.
No one has ever broken a GOR. At least not one with 14 years to go.

Last edited:
No one has ever broken a GOR. At least not one with 24 years to go.
A buyout is not "breaking" a GOR. It is paying to be released voluntarily from it.

Remember, ND football is not covered by the ACC GOR.

Would the Big 10 absord ND immediately? I'm curious how the transition would work and would the ACC just throw them out after they cash the check. ND actually cares about their olympic sports so i'm curious on how they implement.

This is probably happening too it sounds like. The smoke coming from touchdown jesus is palpable

All depends on how vindictive the ACC wants to be. If they left it would definitely be immediately, I don't see the ACC wanting them in the conference if they plan on leaving. They could negotiate a large buyout for the rights on the non football sport or they could say were holding the rights go F yourself and court chaos ensues. Would be pretty funny if the ACC stuck it to them and ND bball and Lax couldn't be on TV.

A buyout is not "breaking" a GOR. It is paying to be released voluntarily from it.

Remember, ND football is not covered by the ACC GOR.

That may be true but the assumption is whatever deal ND struck with the ACC is contingent on them only joining the ACC if they join a conference for football before 2035-36 timeframe. Are you saying that ND has a release clause whereby they pay x number to the ACC?

I'm sure it all can be negotiated (and will be) but curious if this will become litigious since ND would be effectively nailing the coffin shut when they go this route

I don't doubt the SEC would like to add ND.

I question whether ND would ever want to associated with the SEC. The academics are bad. The ethics are bad. And boiled peanuts are disgusting.
i dont think playing everyone is necessary.

this is about negotiating a tv contract as the NFC or AFC.

you want to be a school in one of those 2 conferences and not be in the USFL.

ND to ACC isn't happening. What they do will be interesting, and they don't have to decide quickly. Guess if nothing else, we get to pocket a bunch of money for their exit.

I can't imagine how often every other AD is trying to contact the Big 10 or SEC right now.

06656d2f-6a4a-4deb-bd2d-f58776ab5ce7_text.gif

Where does this stop? If it goes down to 2 super conferences, seems like there needs to be like a 50 year agreement between Fox/BIG and ESPN/SEC where the revenue is the same for each school/conference, or else we will be at the scenario again shortly after the super conferences are formed

I dont think it ever stops. I think every one of these programs will constantly be reassessing what is better for their short and medium term bottom line an adjust moving forward. Conferences are going to be viewed as 10 year destinations max and I see a lot of movement in the future.

That may mean from one of the megas to another. That may mean the best of the best get tired of footing the bill for the bottom 12 bottom feeders and, voila, there comes a massive TV deal that makes it a good idea for the likes of OSU, Michigan, Bama, and Georgia to create a standalone deal (sounds insane but what isnt these days).

I dont think we will ever have stability again in college football narrowly, or college sports broadly

Does anyone in LA watch? I don't understand television viewing in "pro" towns. Maybe an ESPN exec on board can tell us. I would think these major cities are huge to have no matter the interest locally in the team
LA is more into college football than is Boston, because they went without an NFL team for 20 years, and the college game filled the vacuum.

I admit it. I have never seen the ACC GOR.

But I have read from many sources that the GOR ND signed has a clause that specifically prohibits them from joining a conference for football unless it is the ACC, until the ACC GOR expires in 2036. I just linked to one of the articles above.

So I totally disagree with nd1973, TerryD and Heather on this.

The ACC had the foresight that something like this could happen (ND is all about ND) and they took steps to prevent it.

Maybe all the media reports are wrong. Or maybe this clause of the GOR can be broken. It is definitely not a normal part of a GOR and I don't know for sure if it will hold up in court.

ND is not a free agent the B1G can just snap up. At the least, there is going to be a legal battle and you can be sure the ACC is going to hold ND to its word if it possibly can.

3-5 hour flights?

Academics will be a joke
Will it be that different than the old days when schools took busses everywhere? Do they fly commercial or charter flights?

LA is more into college football than is Boston, because they went without an NFL team for 20 years, and the college game filled the vacuum.
And also LA has had national titles from USC not a crazy among of years ago. Its a super high level product. If there's one thing about Boston I know, as a native, is they would absolutely flock to a winner. But the program just isnt very good.

Per Dennis Dodd:
One conference official reminded me that schools commit to a conference, not the other way around.

So, out with Vanderbilt and Missouri, in with Clemson and Miami? Out with Indiana and Purdue, in with Oregon and Washington?

The Big East booted Temple in 2001 for underperformance. Kansas State was on the verge of dropping football -- if the Big Eight didn't drop it first -- before Bill Snyder arrived in 1989.

It's a longshot, but judging by the events of Thursday, the scenario is not out of the question.

USC draws 80k when they're good. Probably 50k when they're ok.

UCLA typically plays at a half full Rose Bowl.

Neither are rabid, but not the point. They're brand names, and it's LA.

I admit it. I have never seen the ACC GOR.

But I have read from many sources that the GOR ND signed has a clause that specifically prohibits them from joining a conference for football unless it is the ACC, until the ACC GOR expires in 2036. I just linked to one of the articles above.

So I totally disagree with nd1973, TerryD and Heather on this.

The ACC had the foresight that something like this could happen (ND is all about ND) and they took steps to prevent it.

Maybe all the media reports are wrong. Or maybe this clause of the GOR can be broken. It is definitely not a normal part of a GOR and I don't know for sure if it will hold up in court.

ND is not a free agent the B1G can just snap up. At the least, there is going to be a legal battle and you can be sure the ACC is going to hold ND to its word if it possibly can.

This was absolutely my understanding as well. But everyone else seems to be intimating that $ can buy their way out of that ? I dunno.

This was absolutely my understanding as well. But everyone else seems to be intimating that $ can buy their way out of that ? I dunno.
Like someone said, it may be in everyone's interest to clip the coupon on the way out. If Syracuse could get a piece of an exit fee from ND with the inevitable conference implosion they should do that.

ND can break a contract, the ACC can take them to court and both parties can settle. Ultimately that's probably where this is heading unless ND goes to the ACC with a gigantic check above and beyond the reasonable damages to make this "go away"

Per Dennis Dodd:
One conference official reminded me that schools commit to a conference, not the other way around.

So, out with Vanderbilt and Missouri, in with Clemson and Miami? Out with Indiana and Purdue, in with Oregon and Washington?

The Big East booted Temple in 2001 for underperformance. Kansas State was on the verge of dropping football -- if the Big Eight didn't drop it first -- before Bill Snyder arrived in 1989.

It's a longshot, but judging by the events of Thursday, the scenario is not out of the question.
There’s always going to be bottom feeders. Notre Dame might turn into one themselves when they join a new conference. This entire farce is going to cause less people to watch, not more. As far as I’m concerned college football left me a long time ago. It’s as boring and predictable as ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom