USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Did you honestly see UCLA in the B1G? I don't think perception matters anymore. All that culture this, rivalry that doesn't mean jack squat anymore. It's only about money and college football is no longer a regional sport.

More than Virginia in the SEC

IF, UVA was in the Big10, and VT was in the SEC, I’m sure the VA pols would be just fine with it. Their places would be cemented, and they could always play each other OOC.
And the odds of that happening simultaneously right now are about zero.

I don't see the SEC agreeing in principle to a handshake agreement with the B1G to carve up NC and VA. That's what it would take, assurances. The SEC is with ESPN, ESPN has a vested interest in the ACC, etc, all factors here.

Geographically they seem like a perfect fit for the East. So what is it that makes them not SEC material?
Because Virginia will ultimately have their choice of B1G or SEC due to their flagship state university status and top-flight academics. But they’ll want to be with fellow AAU schools and similarly prestigious academic institutions in the B1G, and it’s no secret the B1G has wanted UVA and UNC for a long time. They’ll write their own ticket when they’re ready to move—which could be years away. I think they’ll try to make an ACC-Pac 12 Alliance work for now.

Last edited:
what really has changed is UNC wasn't going to join a lesser academic conference like the SEC 10-20-30 years ago. It was academic suicide. What has sneakily changed is the perception of the SEC schools academically now. They are moving up the rankings and making it palatable for a UNC to brazenly admit this now.

I would also add UNC offering fake classes for nearly two decades might've also helped recalibrate their perception on the prospect of joining the SEC.

EDIT - Or stated more accurately...

"I would also add UNC getting away scot free with offering fake classes for nearly two decades..."

Last edited:
It’s in Syracuse best interest to have UVA and North Carolina join the SEC. This greatly reduces the possibility of the Big Ten going for Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Miami. There is no way the Big Ten would go for Virginia Tech and North Carolina State.

Let me ask a stupid question…..Fox “owns” the Big 10 and ESPN/ABC “owns” the SEC and ACC TV rights. It’s been said on this thread multiple times that the networks basically dictate which school gets invited to which conference.

So then why doesn’t ESPN/ACC fold into one super conference the SEC, the ACC and add any additional desperate teams worth adding (and also kick out any low income producing programs..cough cough Vanderbilt, or whoever) to produce something like a two division 14 x 14 mega conference to compete against Fox/Big 10?

Point being is aside from ND, I am not sure the Big 10 could add enough additional quality schools outside of SEC/ACC to get to a conference of the same size that would generate same level of TV dollars.

Let me ask a stupid question…..Fox “owns” the Big 10 and ESPN/ABC “owns” the SEC and ACC TV rights. It’s been said on this thread multiple times that the networks basically dictate which school gets invited to which conference.

So then why doesn’t ESPN/ACC fold into one super conference the SEC, the ACC and add any additional desperate teams worth adding (and also kick out any low income producing programs..cough cough Vanderbilt, or whoever) to produce something like a two division 14 x 14 mega conference to compete against Fox/Big 10?

Point being is aside from ND, I am not sure the Big 10 could add enough additional quality schools outside of SEC/ACC to get to a conference of the same size that would generate same level of TV dollars.

Antitrust, the tax exempt status of colleges HAS to become an issue if this is the corporate strategy ultimately. Where the frig is congress especially the red states with real exposure to losing out on the super conference seat movement?

I would think the Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia legislators both in the house and senate will hear from their constituents if this falls apart. I doubt anyone cares in Mass, NY to fight this as an issue their constituents care about but certainly down south.

I just saw this photo and retweeted it. I tagged @bigten in the tweet and the Big Ten Chief of Staff immediately followed me. Which means nothing but was still interesting.

Attachments

• 106DCD16-8DD3-4856-B829-22DBD470111E.jpeg
    106DCD16-8DD3-4856-B829-22DBD470111E.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 198

I hate to say it but I’m for it …. This whole thing stinks. I listened to a podcast earlier and they had a good point. One big thing that makes college football so great regionally is that for so long majority of your opponents were within an 8 hr drive bubble. Making it easy for fans to travel and fill up stadiums .

I just saw this photo and retweeted it. I tagged @bigten in the tweet and the Big Ten Chief of Staff immediately followed me. Which means nothing but was still interesting.
Bellarmine? WTH?

I would put an asterisk next to Seton Hall, and two next to Georgetown and St. John's, because they are not primary tenants in those facilities. The Pirates are second fiddle to the Devils; the Hoyas (Caps/Wizards) and the Red Storm (Rangers/Knicks) are third fiddle. Which means they don't get first pick (or second) of playing dates.

I really don't see UVA unilaterally leaving VPI behind to join the SEC. Especially after what we saw in 2003.

So sounds like an opinion that has melded into a rumor to me.
UVa would leave them behind in a NY minute. VA politicians OTH ...

Looks like the SEC will take the 4 teams that the B1G wants. The don't want NCSU, maybe that would take VTECH or maybe they'll will wait on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom