USC is NOT Firing Clay Helton | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

USC is NOT Firing Clay Helton

I agree he shouldn't, but people do strange things. If he catches the wild notion that he can be the 1 coach t make Illinois really good for a decade, he will jump at the offer.

That shortchanges why Babers came here. Illinois is a cold weather team playing in a bunch of cold weather stadiums all Oct-Dec.

He didn’t just get the notion - he believes the Dome is a huge advantage to his system. It is.

I agree he shouldn't, but people do strange things. If he catches the wild notion that he can be the 1 coach t make Illinois really good for a decade, he will jump at the offer.

How is that any different than the position he is in now?

LaConfora---'The names I'm hearing right now to USC are Jeff Fisher and Jack Del Rio.'

Both would be atrocious hires for USC. The NFL retread model will not work unless you find a Pete Carroll super enthusiastic type who will relish working hard.
I’m hearing they like Fisher because he can’t go 7-9 with only 12 games on the schedule.

I heard an interesting data point. Lots of talk about what HCDFB might want. We may be interested in caring about what HCDFB’s wife wants. It isn’t USC from what I hear. Opportunities down in Texas that could arise in the future though could be plausable. Until then my money would be on him staying at Cuse.

I heard an interesting data point. Lots of talk about what HCDFB might want. We may be interested in caring about what HCDFB’s wife wants. It isn’t USC from what I hear. Opportunities down in Texas that could arise in the future though could be plausable. Until then my money would be on him staying at Cuse.

If Franklin goes to USC, and Rhule to PSU - I'm wondering what the temp for a Briles guy down at Baylor would be. I don't think enough time has passed - but he loved his time in Waco.

That's a lot of "ifs" too...

If Franklin goes to USC, and Rhule to PSU - I'm wondering what the temp for a Briles guy down at Baylor would be. I don't think enough time has passed - but he loved his time in Waco.

That's a lot of "ifs" too...

I don’t think Dino is going back to Baylor in this climate.

Two things. Again I think Dino is really all Cuse right now and I would not limit the view to Baylor down the road for options in Texas.

That shortchanges why Babers came here. Illinois is a cold weather team playing in a bunch of cold weather stadiums all Oct-Dec.

He didn’t just get the notion - he believes the Dome is a huge advantage to his system. It is.

I live in Illinois, they stink and no one gives a crap about their program. There are a ton of ND and Big 10 alum for all schools in the Chicago area, even when Illinois has had a decent season or two the attention goes to ND, Northwestern and 7-8 other Big 10 schools. Dino isn’t going to Illinois

I dont see babers as a big ten guy at all. Doesnt seem like a fit.

So your logic is that if he can make the Illini really good for a decade (which would take at least 3 seasons to get him to start that decade of "really good") he should leave a program with a much richer history (from the mid-1950s forward) where he has already done the groundwork necessary to set himself up for a really great coaching job within the next 3-5 years? Really?!? You do realize that Babers is 57 years old, right?

I am not one of those Orange fans who believes he will stay here forever but he is only leaving for a much better program - high Baron level or King level.

Cheers,
Neil

Sounds like Swann wants to bring back Helton but the USC donors want him out. Should be interesting to see who wins that battle.

He is a good coach. Worked miracles at Vandy is charismatic and can recruit.

9E76E9E2-F91F-491B-BB3E-3372BD3E61D7.jpeg

They have a ton of talent.

I can easily see them with a 9 win next year.

Dude went 21-6 first two full seasons. They'd be Nebraska crazy to dump him after a 5-7 season

If he goes 7-5 or worse next year, then I can see them canning him (which is still nuts)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom