USC is NOT Firing Clay Helton | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

USC is NOT Firing Clay Helton

They have a ton of talent.

I can easily see them with a 9 win next year.

Dude went 21-6 first two full seasons. They'd be Nebraska crazy to dump him after a 5-7 season

If he goes 7-5 or worse next year, then I can see them canning him (which is still nuts)

Year one - rose bowl victory
Year two - conference champ
Year three - youre fired, that would just be crazy

Plus I looked at their depth chart

They were very young across the board. Their worst spot, C, was a Sr and is being replaced by a better player.

This team will probably win 9-10 games next year.

Wait until you see what Alabama is like after former Syracuse GA, Nick Saban, leaves...

They don’t have the same level of success but Louisville has had nothing but 8-9 win seasons with Petrino prior to this year.

Sometimes there are exacerbating circumstances.

Somewhere SobeCuse’s head just exploded.

Coal in my stocking. You’re going to have LOTS of people pulling out and not renewing season tickets. I know for a fact that some of those $10M luxury boxes in the new Coliseum will not be sold either as originally agreed upon. Sorry guys for all the recent USC posts. Just frustrating and truly unbelievable.

Hopefully the new Pres who comes in probably mid-summer sometime fires Swann. He literally golfs everywhere and fllies in for football games and his Monday meetings with Helton.

Last edited:
It was the right decision. Continuity is important to any sports organization. Helton will be fine.

We’ll see. Easy to make a general statement like that. We don’t know if he’s going to be forced to get rid of the rest of the staff or not. Will they get experienced assistants if so and not first timers like what has been happening? Recruits are saying “they soft.” Will there be more decommitments? The blowback is tremendous right now. Some mega donors paid to get a plane to fly a Fire Helton sign over the Coliseum because their voices aren’t being heard. Ryan Abraham who runs USC football.com said some BIG boosters texted him saying they are pulling out. Then there some of those $10M luxury boxes that might not be sold as planned. There is talk about a big LA Times ad coming out on Tues orchestrated by donors! This is more about the Interim Pres right now, the lawsuits, and not being able to afford the buyout, than wanting to keep Helton, lol.

Last edited:
We’ll see. Easy to make a general statement like that. We don’t know if he’s going to be forced to get rid of the rest of the staff or not. Will they get experienced assistants if so and not first timers like what has been happening? Recruits are saying “they soft.” Will there be more decommitments? The blowback is tremendous right now. Some mega donors paid to get a plane to fly a Fire Helton sign over the Coliseum because their voices aren’t being heard. Ryan Abraham who runs USC football.com said some BIG boosters texted him saying they are pulling out. Then there some of those $10M luxury boxes that might not be sold as planned. There is talk about a big LA Times ad coming out on Tues orchestrated by donors! This is more about the Interim Pres right now, the lawsuits, and not being able to afford the buyout, than wanting to keep Helton, lol.

I'm confused. All these mega donors and they can't afford the buyout?

The key criticism that you and others have mentioned against Helton is that he was routinely outcoached coming out of half time all year long. I can see both sides of the argument but in the long term there are likely better options out there to run a primo program like USC.

Chicken.

Own it. Like you did the middle of the field when you played.

He’s a fake AD. Celebrity hire which isn’t helping things in Troy. I suspect Helton has a stay of execution which will ultimately happen when both these guys are gone and they bring in a serious administrator to run things

Chicken.

Own it. Like you did the middle of the field when you played.

Exactly. He turns down every media request like all season. Won’t do a presser. Just makes these decrees puffing his chest out. Well, we’ll see what happens when all this money isn’t going to be coming in as expected.

They have a ton of talent.

I can easily see them with a 9 win next year.

Dude went 21-6 first two full seasons. They'd be Nebraska crazy to dump him after a 5-7 season

If he goes 7-5 or worse next year, then I can see them canning him (which is still nuts)
Just like Mac. Great call by Swanny.

The key criticism that you and others have mentioned against Helton is that he was routinely outcoached coming out of half time all year long. I can see both sides of the argument but in the long term there are likely better options out there to run a primo program like USC.

That and when the players are going to the media wanting better and tougher practices you know you have a problem. You can’t bring in first time assistants either. He himself was an assistant for two bad coaches...Sark and Kiffin. They aren’t a young team either. That’s baloney. Sure Daniels is but he’s more than fine.

Last edited:
I'm confused. All these mega donors and they can't afford the buyout?

I don’t think Swann wants to be upstaged. I’m not sure if he/they would do it even if the boosters personally handed him the money. I think the school is worried about the lawsuits first and foremost.

The attendance is what I thought might be the final nail. Just under 60k for ND. Didn’t draw 60k once this year. That’s bad (by their standards). I admit I didn’t realize how bad their attendance problem had become.

They flew a plane overhead during the game demanding his firing? Stay here Dino. You don’t want any part of that. Just one more advantage of having a Dome.

The attendance is what I thought might be the final nail. Just under 60k for ND. Didn’t draw 60k once this year. That’s bad (by their standards). I admit I didn’t realize how bad their attendance problem had become there.

They flew a plane overhead during the game demanding his firing? Stay here Dino. You don’t want any part of that. Just one more advantage of having a Dome.

That reminds me of a time when I went to a NYJ game in the Swamp when Joe Walton was the coach and he was on the hot seat. Someone rented a plane with a streamer that said: "If you put Joe Walton's brain in a sparrow it would fly backwards". Plane kept circling the stadium. Surprised Leon Hess didn't have it shot down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom