USMNT vs Panama | Syracusefan.com

USMNT vs Panama

CUSU

Starter
I wasn't able to watch the USA vs. Haiti match, but from what I've read it sounded like another grinder.. Hoping we play better tonight. Would love to see Jozy take a seat and start Zardes up top. I'm sure the lineup will be coming out soon.

I wasn't able to watch the USA vs. Haiti match, but from what I've read it sounded like another grinder.. Hoping we play better tonight. Would love to see Jozy take a seat and start Zardes up top. I'm sure the lineup will be coming out soon.

Not sure about the result but I guarantee the atmosphere will be rocking. The soccer fans here in Kansas City really make Sporting Park a fun place!

I would sit Dempsey and Bradley. See what you got. I would start Altidore and need to see if he can improve and if not tell Klinsman to go with Zardes and Dempsey.

The US has a chance to determine who they want to finish 2nd. If the first match is a draw or one team wins we can knock out Panama or not.

Also if Jamaica beats El Salvador and Mexico-T&T draw the quarters will see Costa Rica-Mexico play and our side will have Jamaica-Group A runner up and we will likely play Guatemala in the quarters.

I would sit Dempsey and Bradley. See what you got. I would start Altidore and need to see if he can improve and if not tell Klinsman to go with Zardes and Dempsey.

The US has a chance to determine who they want to finish 2nd. If the first match is a draw or one team wins we can knock out Panama or not.

Also if Jamaica beats El Salvador and Mexico-T&T draw the quarters will see Costa Rica-Mexico play and our side will have Jamaica-Group A runner up and we will likely play Guatemala in the quarters.

Think we end up calling Beasley for the knockout stages? I read an article where they thought it was odd to put him on the provisional if they didn't have intentions to bring him on.

Yea, your right Jozy might need some more field time coming back from the injury, but he is just frustrating to watch lately.

Would like to see a goal come from someone other than Dempsey.

Think we end up calling Beasley for the knockout stages? I read an article where they thought it was odd to put him on the provisional if they didn't have intentions to bring him on.

Yea, your right Jozy might need some more field time coming back from the injury, but he is just frustrating to watch lately.

Would like to see a goal come from someone other than Dempsey.
It would be not the best idea to waste a spot on the 35 man provisional if you didn't intend to use him. I think Klinsmann sees the Mexicans are hurting up front and this tournament is there for the USA. I would callup Beasley for the 3 knockout games. We win and the Confed Cup berth is ours.

If the stars align and the USA doesn't have to beat both Costa Rica and Mexico we have no business not winning this tournament.

Jozy looks in poor form. I watched the Haiti game from the stands it just looked like his energy level is down it may have to do with fitness not sure why else.

Bradley was suppose to step up this tournament but Dempsey has been the saving grace. USMNT calender looks entertaining if we can win this tourney, we got Peru in DC and Brazil in Foxboro in September, 2016 has the Copa America in US which should be a tournament that could rival or atleast be in the league of Euro 2016.

FIFA Confederations rankings
1. UEFA
2. CONMEBOL
3. CONCACAF
4. Africa
5. Asia
6. Oceania

It would be not the best idea to waste a spot on the 35 man provisional if you didn't intend to use him. I think Klinsmann sees the Mexicans are hurting up front and this tournament is there for the USA. I would callup Beasley for the 3 knockout games. We win and the Confed Cup berth is ours.

If the stars align and the USA doesn't have to beat both Costa Rica and Mexico we have no business not winning this tournament.

Jozy looks in poor form. I watched the Haiti game from the stands it just looked like his energy level is down it may have to do with fitness not sure why else.

Bradley was suppose to step up this tournament but Dempsey has been the saving grace. USMNT calender looks entertaining if we can win this tourney, we got Peru in DC and Brazil in Foxboro in September, 2016 has the Copa America in US which should be a tournament that could rival or atleast be in the league of Euro 2016.

FIFA Confederations rankings
1. UEFA
2. CONMEBOL
3. CONCACAF
4. Africa
5. Asia
6. Oceania

Altidore just coming back from a hamstring injury...

Altidore just coming back from a hamstring injury...
I honestly didn't know he had a hamstring injury as I can't lie I don't follow MLS. I get why some of our guys come back to MLS, but really wish they could find playing time in top European leagues. I know Altidore struggled with Hull City and Sunderland which stinks but atleast he tried.

It makes sense he had a hamstring injury he didn't look comfortable on the Foxboro grass.

Cannot believe how poorly these games are being officiated. Clear foul on Bedoya's break away and many other bad no calls or calls. It's sickening.

Team played poorly in the first half, only solidified my thinking that Chandler is a liability on defense. Missing Brooks for the next game could be a problem also. Hoping we bring on Beasley and rotate Johnson over to Chandler's spot. Not sure who he will play at CB.

Came out firing the second half with much more energy, have to think the lineup changes may have effected that.

Beckerman has not been playing as well as he can and was really exposed last night. Bradley had the goal and played ok but I cant remember any other outstanding plays he made.

Enjoyed watching Bedoya, just seems to have a better feel for the game than the other options we have there. He obviously was not fit enough to go the entire match but he gives us and option going forward who can control and keep the ball.

Zardes didn't do much up top and it seems he may be better sutied to play on the outside for the time being. I enjoy watching his pace.

Don't like the decision to start Wondolowski, hasn't done anything the past few games he has came on and didn't do anything productive last night.

It's obvious to me that Johanssen and Demspey are the best pairing up top, at this time. They seem to have a decent connection and both are a threat to make a turn and have a shot on target. Johanssen seems to be the best passer out of Altidore, Wondo, and himself.

Another good perofrmance from Guzan, seems to be solodifying the starting spot.

Will be interesting to see what Jurgen decides to do with the rsoter in the next 24 hrs.

I would like to see us go away from the diamond, go 4-2-3-1 next match. Not sure who to put on the back line other than Fabian Johnson seems to be our best option at LB. Play Bradley and Beckerman as CM, Dempsey as attacking mid, Zardes on the left wing, Bedoya on the right wing (bring on Yedlin on in the second half), then Johanssen up top.

Cannot believe how poorly these games are being officiated. Clear foul on Bedoya's break away and many other bad no calls or calls. It's sickening.

Team played poorly in the first half, only solidified my thinking that Chandler is a liability on defense. Missing Brooks for the next game could be a problem also. Hoping we bring on Beasley and rotate Johnson over to Chandler's spot. Not sure who he will play at CB.

Came out firing the second half with much more energy, have to think the lineup changes may have effected that.

Beckerman has not been playing as well as he can and was really exposed last night. Bradley had the goal and played ok but I cant remember any other outstanding plays he made.

Enjoyed watching Bedoya, just seems to have a better feel for the game than the other options we have there. He obviously was not fit enough to go the entire match but he gives us and option going forward who can control and keep the ball.

Zardes didn't do much up top and it seems he may be better sutied to play on the outside for the time being. I enjoy watching his pace.

Don't like the decision to start Wondolowski, hasn't done anything the past few games he has came on and didn't do anything productive last night.

It's obvious to me that Johanssen and Demspey are the best pairing up top, at this time. They seem to have a decent connection and both are a threat to make a turn and have a shot on target. Johanssen seems to be the best passer out of Altidore, Wondo, and himself.

Will be interesting to see what Jurgen decides to do with the rsoter in the next 24 hrs.

I would like to see us go away from the diamond, go 4-2-3-1 next match. Not sure who to put on the back line other than Fabian Johnson seems to be our best option at LB. Play Bradley and Beckerman as CM, Dempsey as attacking mid, Zardes on the left wing, Bedoya on the right wing (bring on Yedlin on in the second half), then Johanssen up top.

First off give Panama credit. They dominated the first 35 minutes of play. I don't know if our guys didn't care or not it was still domination from Panama in the first 35 minutes. The crowd of KC gave the team energy so it was disappointing how we started.

The officiating has been awful. These refs let the players play so physical. UEFA teams don't like playing CONCACAF teams in friendlies because of the physical nature of the games. I can't believe how Wondo didn't get a penalty in around the 43rd minute as he get clipped on a beautiful run and thought it could have been a red card as it was a goal scoring opportunity and the ref didn't even call a penalty.

Then their was about a two minute sequence late in the first half where the Panama players were clearly gunning for our guys with disgusting challenges and this ref did nothing to deescalate the tension. Our guys got more yellow cards which was crazy. 3 of our back 4 got yellows.

We lose Brooks for the quarterfinal which is likely going to be Guatemala. Unless Canada beats Costa Rica and El Salvador gets atleast 2 goals and a draw from Jamaica then Panama will be better than the group B third place team and we will get Guatemala in Baltimore.

I would make the following changes Johansson-Dempsey up top,
Bradley, Bedoya, Beckerman, Morales in the MF,
Beasley-LB, Brooks(Omar Gonzalez in the QFs), Alvarado-CBs, Fabian Johnson-RB,
Guzan-GK.
I would play a 4-4-2
Yedlin and Zardes would be my subs that would play and the 3rd sub for whoever needs a sub.

Our bracket is going to be most likely USA-Guatemala, Jamaica-Haiti and then T&T-Mexico 1st place v. Panama and T&T-Mexico 2nd place v. Costa Rica on the other half.

Biggest match to determine the USA half will be Jamaica-El Salvador if Jamaica wins Costa Rica will go into the other half.

First off give Panama credit. They dominated the first 35 minutes of play. I don't know if our guys didn't care or not it was still domination from Panama in the first 35 minutes. The crowd of KC gave the team energy so it was disappointing how we started.

The officiating has been awful. These refs let the players play so physical. UEFA teams don't like playing CONCACAF teams in friendlies because of the physical nature of the games. I can't believe how Wondo didn't get a penalty in around the 43rd minute as he get clipped on a beautiful run and thought it could have been a red card as it was a goal scoring opportunity and the ref didn't even call a penalty.

Then their was about a two minute sequence late in the first half where the Panama players were clearly gunning for our guys with disgusting challenges and this ref did nothing to deescalate the tension. Our guys got more yellow cards which was crazy. 3 of our back 4 got yellows.

We lose Brooks for the quarterfinal which is likely going to be Guatemala. Unless Canada beats Costa Rica and El Salvador gets atleast 2 goals and a draw from Jamaica then Panama will be better than the group B third place team and we will get Guatemala in Baltimore.

I would make the following changes Johansson-Dempsey up top,
Bradley, Bedoya, Beckerman, Morales in the MF,
Beasley-LB, Brooks(Omar Gonzalez in the QFs), Alvarado-CBs, Fabian Johnson-RB,
Guzan-GK.
I would play a 4-4-2
Yedlin and Zardes would be my subs that would play and the 3rd sub for whoever needs a sub.

Our bracket is going to be most likely USA-Guatemala, Jamaica-Haiti and then T&T-Mexico 1st place v. Panama and T&T-Mexico 2nd place v. Costa Rica on the other half.

Biggest match to determine the USA half will be Jamaica-El Salvador if Jamaica wins Costa Rica will go into the other half.

Panama played well, but the officiating allowed this game to turn into a hack fest. If this game was officiated even just a little tighter we would've had a few more chances on target in the first half.

It's just painful to watch the ref allow such physcial play at some moments then come back and call some tic tac foul that someone flopped like a fish on.

Panama played well, but the officiating allowed this game to turn into a hack fest. If this game was officiated even just a little tighter we would've had a few more chances on target in the first half.

It's just painful to watch the ref allow such physcial play at some moments then come back and call some tic tac foul that someone flopped like a fish on.
Honestly at this point I would yearn if the FIFA would let refs from other federations ref in tournaments in other competitions. UEFA refs would know how to handle these matches.

These CONCACAF teams just flop like fish whenever they can and then go to just the limit in physical play. I watched highlights from the World Cup last year and then this tournament it is so inferior. The US is not the most talented team in the world but when we play against the top teams we don't dive or embellish contact. I won't deny sometimes we play a little rough but to the degree these CONCACAF teams do against us.

I would give the USA team a B- for the group stage. We got 7 points against by far the toughest group in this competition. Honduras is making the quarters if they are in group C for sure and likely in group B as Canada and El Salvador haven't looked as good as the 4th place team in group A.

Chandler has been awful. So many misplaced passes and dangerous giveaways. Klinsmann must like that he's a relatively big guy, but man, he was beaten over and over last night. Yedlin was better, but is not known for his great defense, either.

I get that Klinsmann is building up a central defense for the future, but Brooks still makes some bone-headed plays. He's kind of like our David Luiz. Talented, good athlete, but semi-frequent brain freezes. Guzan was outstanding, with some great saves that prevented this from being a loss.

I'm not sold on Johanssen. He makes good runs but never seems to create an end product. Zardes did not grab his chance as well as he could have.

Honestly at this point I would yearn if the FIFA would let refs from other federations ref in tournaments in other competitions. UEFA refs would know how to handle these matches.

These CONCACAF teams just flop like fish whenever they can and then go to just the limit in physical play. I watched highlights from the World Cup last year and then this tournament it is so inferior. The US is not the most talented team in the world but when we play against the top teams we don't dive or embellish contact. I won't deny sometimes we play a little rough but to the degree these CONCACAF teams do against us.

I would give the USA team a B- for the group stage. We got 7 points against by far the toughest group in this competition. Honduras is making the quarters if they are in group C for sure and likely in group B as Canada and El Salvador haven't looked as good as the 4th place team in group A.

I think allowing other federation refs into tournaments would be great. It may even result in a more uniform calling of the game.

I would agree on the B-. I think we would have won the game last night if we started Dempsey and Johanssen.

Jozy Altidore ‏@JozyAltidore
Always a pleasure to bea part of @ussoccer all the best to the boys the rest of the way! #KeepTheCup #USMNT

It looks like the USA is making atleast one change with Jozy Altidore being taken off the roster for the knockout round.
Matt Beslar is liking one of the callups from what I have read.

Last edited:

One thing about this whole tournament - you would never see European games called this way, allowing this much rough stuff. Players are paid way too much money to be put at risk of injury so frequently within a game.

Jozy Altidore ‏@JozyAltidore
Always a pleasure to bea part of @ussoccer all the best to the boys the rest of the way! #KeepTheCup #USMNT

It looks like the USA is making atleast one change with Jozy Altidore being taken off the roster for the knockout round.
Matt Beslar is liking one of the callups from what I have read.

Was wondering if they would call up Besler, seemed ot disappear after the world cup. Hm who are they bringing in for Jozy? Agudelo?

EDIT: Hoping we see Brek Shea, Beasley, and Besler for some defense.

Last edited:
One thing about this whole tournament - you would never see European games called this way, allowing this much rough stuff. Players are paid way too much money to be put at risk of injury so frequently within a game.
CONCACAF soccer is like watching the Butler/Pitt physical brand of college hoops. They muck the game up to try and win.

UEFA soccer is like watching how the game should be played. There are hard challenges, but the refs don't let the game get out of control too often.

Was wondering if they would call up Besler, seemed ot disappear after the world cup. Hm who are they bringing in for Jozy?
Not sure if I had to guess Juan Agudelo would be the next striker on our provisional roster unless Klinsmann went for the youth of Rubio or Brek Shea and move Zardes to a pure striker.

Not sure if I had to guess Juan Agudelo would be the next striker on our provisional roster unless Klinsmann went for the youth of Rubio or Brek Shea and move Zardes to a pure striker.

Hmmm...

Beasley for Garza (!)
Gordon for Altidore (?) No Agudelo?
Corona for Morales

Hmmm...

Beasley for Garza (!)
Gordon for Altidore (?) No Agudelo?
Corona for Morales
Morris is hurt so it has to be either Gordon, Agudelo, or Rubio. Are these the official changes? I don't mind Gordon over Agudelo both are emergency palyers that won't play. Beasley for Garza would be awesome and Joe Corona is a solid player. I wish he brought up Shea, but I guess he likes Zardes and Yedlin in his type of role.

Morris is hurt so it has to be either Gordon, Agudelo, or Rubio. Are these the official changes? I don't mind Gordon over Agudelo both are emergency palyers that won't play. Beasley for Garza would be awesome and Joe Corona is a solid player. I wish he brought up Shea, but I guess he likes Zardes and Yedlin in his type of role.

Yes, these are the actaul changes. Tweeted out by the official USMNT account.

I wish we had Shea also. Looking forward to seeing Beasley back on the pitch. Does he move Johsnon to RB? Or up the field to a mid position?

I wish we had Shea also. Looking forward to seeing Beasley back on the pitch. Does he move Johsnon to RB? Or up the field to a mid position?
I bet Chandler goes to the bench. Johnson or Yedlin go to RB. Beasley is the LB. Then 2 of Omar Gonzalez, John Brooks, Alvarado are the CBs,

I have no idea what the front 7 will look like except for sure Dempsey, Bedoya, and Bradley will start and Yedlin and Zardes will play.

I bet Chandler goes to the bench. Johnson or Yedlin go to RB. Beasley is the LB. Then 2 of Omar Gonzalez, John Brooks, Alvarado are the CBs,

I have no idea what the front 7 will look like except for sure Dempsey and Bradley will start and Yedlin and Zardes will play.

I wish Bedoya was match fit..

Shea still seems like a project to me. He's a big guy and he can run down the flank, but his ball control is poor and his passing is not so great, either. To me, you put him and Timmy Chandler at the fullbacks, and that is our worst pair. They both share the same profile - big guys for fullbacks, decent but not outstanding pace, worrisome on the ball and apt to make not just the "bad" pass, but the REALLY BAD pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom