UVA is so impressive | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UVA is so impressive

There’s a school of thought that SU guys may be the most likely to succeed here in the short and even the intermediate term.

Someone coming in from outside “The Family” who brings a different style of play may seem like a huge risk. Continuity would seem to have some value here.

Posters on here have the luxury of imagining fantasy replacements who are able to rescue the program and bring it back to the peak years and beyond. In the real world that Wildhack and the Chancellor have to live in, they do not have that luxury.

Red is a safe choice, especially JB recommends and supports it.

Personally, I'm not interested in safe choices. You can easily make a case that hiring Autry is a bigger risk (other than the fact that he'll come cheaper) than hiring the best available candidate from outside the SU sphere. I'd prefer a proven commodity and I'm not talking about a Bennett or some other uber big time coach. And of course JB is going to recommend one of his assistants. No big surprise there.

Based of what I know of Wildhack's history, this really is an act of faith on your part.

The guy has spent his whole career as a television guy, especially television production. There's very little executive experience in it that would suggest he knows anything at all about hiring coaches.

He's a smart guy and highly motivated. But beyond that ...

Townie for one man hiring committee!

Lose exciting.

When their offence is good they are enjoyable to watch. Last year was not a grind watching them play at all. They were deliberate but always with intent to make a play and run good offence ... not deliberate just to kill clock. This year it's probably a different story.

When their offence is good they are enjoyable to watch. Last year was not a grind watching them play at all. They were deliberate but always with intent to make a play and run good offence ... not deliberate just to kill clock. This year it's probably a different story.
I prefer watching this year's team to last year's NCAA tournament team, and it's not even close.

I prefer watching this year's team to last year's NCAA tournament team, and it's not even close.
You serious? You didn't enjoy winning at Duke last year or boatracing lville? Or playing meaningful games down the stretch and having an NCAA tournament game to get ready for.

Winning BIG - like making the tourney every year no matter what like we used to, winning an NC, and being an NC contender fairly often and living in the top 25...I don’t really care the style. I mean I do...I’ll take 1989 SU and it gets no better. But style of play is not something I’m as worried about if we’re winning like that.

Going like 21-13 as a normal season and usually being on the bubble, AND being boring? That doesn’t really cut it. I’ve enjoyed watching this years team more than last year.

Winning BIG - like making the tourney every year no matter what like we used to, winning an NC, and being an NC contender fairly often and living in the top 25...I don’t really care the style. I mean I do...I’ll take 1989 SU and it gets no better. But style of play is not something I’m as worried about if we’re winning like that.

Going like 21-13 as a normal season and usually being on the bubble, AND being boring? That doesn’t really cut it. I’ve enjoyed watching this years team more than last year.
Last year's team won at Duke and at Ohio St. Other than beating uva what has been enjoyable about this season?

I think I replied to the wrong post. I was talking about Virginia and not Syracuse. (i.e Virginia was enjoyable to watch last year when their offence was deliberate but always had a purpose and was not just killing clock)

Last year's team won at Duke and at Ohio St. Other than beating uva what has been enjoyable about this season?

I couldn’t stand last years team. People expected more out of them. They underachieved.

You serious? You didn't enjoy winning at Duke last year or boatracing lville? Or playing meaningful games down the stretch and having an NCAA tournament game to get ready for.
That's right, Brian. If you win with a boring (or outright offensive to watch) style of play and can't even enjoy it, that defeats the entire point for me.

Personally, I'm not interested in safe choices. You can easily make a case that hiring Autry is a bigger risk (other than the fact that he'll come cheaper) than hiring the best available candidate from outside the SU sphere. I'd prefer a proven commodity and I'm not talking about a Bennett or some other uber big time coach. And of course JB is going to recommend one of his assistants. No big surprise there.

Of course you aren’t interested in “safe” choices. You have next to no real skin in the game. If it fails, you can say, “You shouldn’t have listened to me in the first place”.

The fans all love going for it on fourth down until it doesn’t work.

So you think that Boeheim, who has been at SU for fifty years and built the program brick by brick, would recommend a successor solely based on loyalty to his players and staff? And without looking at the impact of this crucial hire on the future of the program? He’s just going to toss this to the relatively inexperienced Wildhack and say, “Good luck”?

After watching and listening to JB for a very long time, I think he would recommend the candidate and hiring strategy that he feels is the best for SU. He knows or has a pretty good idea of what it is going to take to be successful at SU and the “jewelers eye” for the resumes of candidates and is tapped into the coaches network.

That's right, Brian. If you win with a boring (or outright offensive to watch) style of play and can't even enjoy it, that defeats the entire point for me.
I have to be be honest with you I enjoyed the hell out of that win at Cameron. One of the most satisfying wins in program history. What is there to take out of this year? I love winning.

I couldn’t stand last years team. People expected more out of them. They underachieved.
Ya they did underachieve but at least they accomplished something. What is this team going to have to show for the season? Baring some miracle run?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom