Veteran's Roll Call: All Veteran's or those who have a Veteran relative, sound off! | Syracusefan.com

Veteran's Roll Call: All Veteran's or those who have a Veteran relative, sound off!

HtownOrange

Living Legend
There are several Orange fans that have served this great country. Many more of you have a relative that has served. As a Veteran, I know that my family was as much committed to my service as I was. Please sound off if you are a Veteran or if you have a family member that has served (current service included!).

(NOTE: Keep all harassment clean and fun, this is a family site)

United States Air Force 1991 - 2000

Yes, Jarhead Jim, we really do qualify as military members.

P.S. Happy 242nd Marine Corp Birthday to all our Marines

My uncle Gary. Served in the Middle East as a peacekeeper for NATO back in the day. Very proud of him

E6123081-614B-4134-9486-E95162AF3527.jpeg

Korea.jpg

Back when I was just a young pup. Seems crazy that this picture is 10 years old.

US Army 2006-2012
2 grandfathers - Army
2 great uncles - Air Force and Army
1 uncle - Army
2 cousins - Army and Air Force

View attachment 114817

Back when I was just a young pup. Seems crazy that this picture is 10 years old.

US Army 2006-2012
2 grandfathers - Army
2 great uncles - Air Force and Army
1 uncle - Army
2 cousins - Army and Air Force

You look exactly like Shane from The Walking Dead!

Two great uncles who served in WW2. One a Ranger in North Africa and Sicily, the other an MP with POW's
Couple of cousins who served during the Reagan years
Two good HS friends who were in the first Gulf War

Also had a great, great uncle who served in WW1. Have one of his medals, but not sure what it is.

You look exactly like Shane from The Walking Dead!

Two great uncles who served in WW2. One a Ranger in North Africa and Sicily, the other an MP with POW's
Couple of cousins who served during the Reagan years
Two good HS friends who were in the first Gulf War

Also had a great, great uncle who served in WW1. Have one of his medals, but not sure what it is.

Post a picture, I'm sure we could identify it. Would be cool to know what it is!

Not enough Orange!

How can you tell? He's in camouflage, you can't see him.

True story*: I worked in metrology laboratories; bright lights, lots of electronic machines, scopes, analyzers, etc., and we wore camo daily.

* Most of the time when a military member says, "true story" there is a line of bull that follows. Just not this time.

My dad was in World War II, won the bronze star, was wounded a couple of times, and ended up in Berlin
My dad's brother was a pilot in World War II, won the silver star and worked at the Pentagon until he retired
My grand-dad was in the Navy in World War I with tattoos to prove it...tough guy that loved the sea...he had a brother and a brother-in-law that also served in World War I
My brother was in the Army during Viet-Nam...served 10 years, but mostly spent time in Germany & England
Two more uncles served in World War II...one in Europe and one in the Pacific...both survived
10 of my ancestors fought for the Union in the US Civil War...most survived, though my great, great, great, uncle Amos died in New Orleans, was buried where Canal Blvd is now, and reburied in Orwell
My great, great, great, great, great grandfather was one of four brothers that fought in the Revolutionary War...Enos served in Connecticut & NY Regiments and is buried in Pompey...all four brothers survived the war and migrated to Central New York after 1800...

I should add:

Two uncles served in the Army.
A cousin who served in the Army.
A cousin that served in the Air Force.
A great uncle that served in the Navy and his ship pulled out of Pearl Harbor a day or two before the attack.
A fourth cousin that served as a drummer in the Union Army during the Civil War.

I have other ancestors that have served since the Colonial days but I cannot recall them right now.

My father ...82nd. Airborne,Paraglider jumper.

Everyone of my 9 uncles in WWII and Korean wars and two nephews current Marines and one was just promoted this week.

Plus a cousin who was a pilot in the Korean war they just found and Identified this year who was killed in action over there.

I should add:

Two uncles served in the Army.
A cousin who served in the Army.
A cousin that served in the Air Force.
A great uncle that served in the Navy and his ship pulled out of Pearl Harbor a day or two before the attack.
A fourth cousin that served as a drummer in the Union Army during the Civil War.

I have other ancestors that have served since the Colonial days but I cannot recall them right now.
I think most of us have a myriad of connections to folks that served...more than we know. Wherever they fit in, it's good to honor them regularly, whether they're serving now or 200+ years ago. When I lived near DC, I visited the national archives with my dad. We found the original muster rolls from Enos & his brothers' time in the revolution. I can remember him being touched by holding his ancestor's original records. It was a cool moment in time when my dad, the soldier, was able to identify with his ancestor, a soldier of another era. I'm glad we did that...

Air Force - May 1986 - Feb 2009. Two brothers served, One in The Navy Seabees and one in Army Reserves. Uncle served in Navy Seabees as.

First picture is from Desert Storm, 1991 in Oman. Second one from the left second row from the front. Second picture is me in my Mess Dress with Daureen at Daughters wedding in August.
Desert Storm 1991 - Oman.jpg
Daughters wedding 2017.jpg

USAF 22 years, mostly flying and was decent but so many more did much more...but let me brag on my sons'

Army son, West Point with Honors, 10 years so far, Bronze Star as Combat Engineer in Iraq
USAF son, Air Force Academy graduated 5th in class, 7 years so far, Pilot, new Dad

Last edited:
My Dad served in the Army in WWII. Came home and got his degree from SU on the GI Bill. Went back in the Army and served in Korea. After Korea was stationed in Berlin and then Trieste. Met a beautiful Italian lady, fell in love, got married and that was the end of his military career.
My sister has his medals. I have his Bronze Star citations from WWII and Korea hanging on the wall in my office.