Villanova game moved to Friday Aug 29 ?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Villanova game moved to Friday Aug 29 ??

That's not entirely accurate, but certainly a much more attractive opponent by name. Washington's program had fallen off the cliff. Couple 1 win, 2 win seasons in the depth of hell with us. They were coming off of 3 straight losing seasons and weren't even sniffing the rankings. They were going to start redshirt freshman QB getting his first ever playing time (albeit a highly recruited QB).

You are correct, im confusing what year Locker was in. That being said it was still a "Name" opponent with ESPN televising and there was the buzz that Grob might have finally gotten a half decent team together in what many felt was his make or break year. Obviously by the end of the 1st quarter you knew it was another disaster.

I think it's a good idea. Not going to get fans in the door for this one anyway. You'll get the normal 25 - 30k whether you have it on Friday or Saturday.

Assuming it will somehow be televised locally, you have a better chance of local TV ratings on Friday night than you do on Saturday afternoon.

For a game like this and for a program like ours at this particular point, it's probably more important to get locals to watch on TV than it is to get them in the Dome. Try to build momentum with what should be an easy win, and showcase some of the new offensive talent.

I doubt most locals (assuming its not pouring rain) will be watching Syracuse vs Nova on Fri night of labor day weekend. If there not at the Fair they will be getting in that last vacation or at least enjoying the last bastion of really nice weather. I would hope this move isnt about TV ratings because there wouldnt be any no matter what time or day we played.

I wold really like to hope we didnt move a Sat afternoon game (one of the few we get that doesnt start at freeking 12:30) for an ESPN 3 slot. If you want to tell me ESPN 2 or maybe even ESPNU then OK but for ESPN 3, thats idiotic.

We're playing a 1-AA team. It's an ESPN3 game no matter what day of the week the game is played.

We're playing a 1-AA team. It's an ESPN3 game no matter what day of the week the game is played.

Then this has to be one of the dumbest decisions I have ever seen Syracuse make. Moving a Sat afternoon/night game to Fri night on Labor Day weekend so 200 fans can catch the game on ESPN 3, WOW, I know things are still in rebuilding mode with the program but when did we become UNLV or Buffalo?

Then this has to be one of the dumbest decisions I have ever seen Syracuse make. Moving a Sat afternoon/night game to Fri night on Labor Day weekend so 200 fans can catch the game on ESPN 3, WOW, I know things are still in rebuilding mode with the program but when did we become UNLV or Buffalo?

Why are you assuming the move is for tv?

Ok, so let's say there's no upside to Friday. Why is it one of the dumbest decisions they've ever made? What's the downside?

It's a 1-AA game to open the season. The only purposes it serves are 1) Start 1-0, 2) Give the team a better way to ease into the season.

Play it Thursday or Friday or Saturday, what's the difference? You say no one will watch it on TV. I say there's no material Dome attendance difference on any of the days.

Why are you assuming the move is for tv?

See the multiple posts above from LeymoneCuse who thinks that it maybe TV related, I was responding to that. At this point I have no idea why it was moved but TV could be the answer.

Well that blows. I'm sure my kid will have a Friday night game himself.

I don't know if it's a TV thing- It's just a guess. And I'm often wrong, but it makes sense to me.

But why the full meltdown here? It's a 1-AA opponent. A decent 1-AA opponent, but the only people who would be aware of that are people who date Villanova Alums. This game that won't draw that well regardless if it's held August 29, August 30, Labor Day, St. Patrick's Day with free green beer, dachshund puppy day, or whatever else.

Ok, so let's say there's no upside to Friday. Why is it one of the dumbest decisions they've ever made? What's the downside?

It's a 1-AA game to open the season. The only purposes it serves are 1) Start 1-0, 2) Give the team a better way to ease into the season.

Play it Thursday or Friday or Saturday, what's the difference? You say no one will watch it on TV. I say there's no material Dome attendance difference on any of the days.

Because Syracuse only gets six home games to start with and one is already a Friday game which isnt exactly optimal.

Second Syracuse doesn't get many Saturday afternoon games period. Its refreshing to actually be able to start a tailgate at 11 or Noon versus 8 in the morning when everyone is half dead. Its also nice to be able to enjoy a Saturday game experience whether thats tailgating (for me) or walking the quad, hitting up Varsity or Faegans, soaking in the entire experience that is big time college football.

Third the opponent is already crappy (though based on our recent history I wouldnt pencil in a W) and during a major holiday weekend. Why move a game where Syracuse can actually get a prime time start (7pm) opn a Saturday for probably the only time all year to Friday at god knows when on labor day weekend.

I could still make it, but I was planning on surprising my mom Friday night, and surprising my dad Saturday morning when his buddy takes a detour to pick me up on their way to the game.

I'll make it work. Just might have to throw away the surprise factor of the trip. I prolly would have spilled the beans anyway.

Well, I guess it opens me up for a beautiful Saturday on the lake!

Dear CuseTroop... don't worry about surprising me.

Love Mom

I don't know if it's a TV thing- It's just a guess. And I'm often wrong, but it makes sense to me.

But why the full meltdown here? It's a 1-AA opponent. A decent 1-AA opponent, but the only people who would be aware of that are people who date Villanova Alums. This game that won't draw that well regardless if it's held August 29, August 30, Labor Day, St. Patrick's Day with free green beer, dachshund puppy day, or whatever else.

Hell if its Daschound puppy day I know my Fiance will have a turnout of epic proportions. Sorry if my other post came across as a meltdown (trust me I am not) but to me its an idiotic move with absolutely zero benefit. To me Saturday is college football, I have no problem playing on Fri nights but those are conference games with national broadcasts. Why move a game that has the chance to be a late Saturday afternoon or Sat night game that you can let the diehards enjoy a full days tailgate to Fri night at god knows what time. The last fri night game was a nightmare for tailgating as the lots were still full of students, staff etc and it was a mess. As you noted its a 1AA game why not play it on Sat like every other major Div 1 program. I dont see Alabama or Auburn playing Western Carolina on Fri night.

Espn is making a big deal out of summer practices and te anticipation leading up to the season. "Opening Day" is becoming an all week affair. I assume theres a TV contract benefit at work here as espn tries to spread out games

Well, I'm out. Had I known this, I wouldn't have purchased season tickets and a parking pass.

Looks like I'll be selling most of my tickets.

Can't make either of the Friday games.

:bang:
Well, I'm out. Had I known this, I wouldn't have purchased season tickets and a parking pass.

Dont worry you will be able to get that ESPN 3 feed with T level announcers.

Where are your tickets and parking pass? I might be interested. I haven't bought yet

Hell if its Daschound puppy day I know my Fiance will have a turnout of epic proportions. Sorry if my other post came across as a meltdown (trust me I am not) but to me its an idiotic move with absolutely zero benefit. To me Saturday is college football, I have no problem playing on Fri nights but those are conference games with national broadcasts. Why move a game that has the chance to be a late Saturday afternoon or Sat night game that you can let the diehards enjoy a full days tailgate to Fri night at god knows what time. The last fri night game was a nightmare for tailgating as the lots were still full of students, staff etc and it was a mess. As you noted its a 1AA game why not play it on Sat like every other major Div 1 program. I dont see Alabama or Auburn playing Western Carolina on Fri night.

Well, here's the thing. I'm thinking about Syracuse home openers back to at least 07.

They had home games the 1st weekend in 07, 09, 11, and 14.

07 was a Friday night.
09 was Marrone's first game and a Nooner on National TV.
11 was a Thursday night. (ESPN3 game, btw- And against an ACC opponent.)
14 will be a Friday night.

Could it be the Fair? Since all Freshman always go to the 1st game of the year, is this throwing them a bone so they don't skip the game because they're home for the weekend?

Just brainstorming here.

And for the record, I work at SU, 100 yards from the Dome. So I'm not particularly put out by this.

Well, here's the thing. I'm thinking about Syracuse home openers back to at least 07.

They had home games the 1st weekend in 07, 09, 11, and 14.

07 was a Friday night.
09 was Marrone's first game and a Nooner on National TV.
11 was a Thursday night. (ESPN3 game, btw- And against an ACC opponent.)
14 will be a Friday night.

Could it be the Fair? Since all Freshman always go to the 1st game of the year, is this throwing them a bone so they don't skip the game because they're home for the weekend?

Just brainstorming here.

And for the record, I work at SU, 100 yards from the Dome. So I'm not particularly put out by this.

I understand your not put out but form this thread alone it appears two diehards (Bees/Cuseguy) will now have to miss the game.

I understand that Syracuse has played some different days and times to open the season but the opponent was of a much higher quality and the TV coverage was usually ESPN.

I guess the Fair could play some role but I feel that would make more sense if we were playing a BCS level team and the game was scheduled for Noon on Sat. That I could understand moving the game to hopefully increase attendance and to try and take the Fair out of it. But to move a Sat afternoon game against Nova of all teams, makes zero sense.

Wish I could get a refund on my ticket order. This is BS.

So you would like your entire season ticket order refunded because they moved the Villanova game to a Friday on a holiday weekend? (For reasons which we don't yet know?).

In all honesty, I think they should refund it.

For the record, there are only 2 games currently scheduled for Friday, August 29.

UNLV at Arizona.
BYU at UCONN

The Arizona game could be on Fox Sports 1.
ESPN I guess would carry BYU.

Could this game end up on ESPN 2 or ESPN U or ESPN News or ESPN 8, The Ocho?

I have no data. I'm just guessing.

I understand your not put out but form this thread alone it appears two diehards (Bees/Cuseguy) will now have to miss the game.

I understand that Syracuse has played some different days and times to open the season but the opponent was of a much higher quality and the TV coverage was usually ESPN.

I guess the Fair could play some role but I feel that would make more sense if we were playing a BCS level team and the game was scheduled for Noon on Sat. That I could understand moving the game to hopefully increase attendance and to try and take the Fair out of it. But to move a Sat afternoon game against Nova of all teams, makes zero sense.
Not to be disrespectful to either Bees or Cuseguy but isn't it possible that some other diehards might have had trouble getting to the Saturday game?

Update from the Post-Standard:

Joe Giansante, the chief of communications for SU's athletic department, cited several reasons for the date change.

1. He said moving the game to Friday will give fans more flexibility in planning their Labor Day weekend.

2. The season opener for many schools is viewed as an event, something that lends itself to more build-up.

In addition to Labor Day weekend, the date of the game also conflicts with the New York State Fair. Giansante said the country music star Jason Aldean's concert at the Fairgrounds was a minor influencing factor to moving the game, too.
Aldean is scheduled to perform that Saturday night.

"We knew about Jason Aldean," Giansante said. "We all love him. That's a great event. Anytime there's an opportunity not to have to compete with something of that magnitude, it makes sense,
along with all the other things."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom