Wakey Leaks... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wakey Leaks...

College athletics has always been a cesspool though. SEC schools were dropping sacks of cash from planes onto the land of prized recruits in the 50s.

At least in pro sports the greed is transparent and acknowledged. It's the BS from those that run college athletics that infuriates me.
Agreed, Jurich's a joke.

I haven't fully followed this story but is the belief that Elroy did this just to help some old friends or that he was selling the secrets?

If just the former so far, you know how it's going to end.

Agreed, Jurich's a joke.
Two years ago, Jurich was viewed as the finest AD in college sports. Insert UL strippers and this WFU scandal, and he is seen as a total joke. Justifiably so, because it was his choice to hire and then stand tall behind Pitino and Petrino. I could see the Pitino hire and even standing behind him after the restaurant/waitress fiasco. But the strippers? He's made his own bed. That statement yesterday was pathetic on many levels, and should cause him to answer some heavy questions from his AD and state administrators. He has to be one of the top 10 highest paid employees in the state of Kentucky, right?

In the 1940's (?) Army won a game by mistakenly getting a fifth down which allowed them to score the winning touchdown. The next day they forfeited the win.

In the 1980's, Colorado won a game by mistakenly getting a fifth down which allowed them to score the winning touchdown. They didn't forfeit. That put them in a position to win a national title which they shared with Georgia Tech.

What is the NASCAR motto? If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

Remember the time we cheated, Toledo a couple years ago, the extra point/field goal that was clearly wide left that Stevie Wonder could see it.

I haven't fully followed this story but is the belief that Elroy did this just to help some old friends or that he was selling the secrets?

If just the former so far, you know how it's going to end.
that's my take.

if wakes boy elroy is dead set on making sure the football team at the Little Dipper School loses every game, he would have to be some kind of criminal calling up random teams and asking if they want secret plays...then that school would have to accept.

I cant see it.

this also brings up gambling elroy.

now if he was calling old buddies and giving a little heads up to stuff and they chose to listen...and then team Bs coach printed out or make up a sheet detailing it...then both parties are at fault again.

which seems to be lullyvills problem.

if other guys just had a convo and it ended there, it could end with just a warning.

For taking the info or lying about taking the info?
I haven't seen, heard or read anything that says that Petrino had knowledge of this. His duty now is to fire the assistant coach that received the WF plays. Boeheim didn't know of Bernie's problems but took the appropriate action when he found out.

His duty now is to fire the assistant coach that received the WF plays.
At a minimum, the entire defensive staff knew. Should they all be fired?
Hard to believe that motorcycle-guy didn't know.

Tricky timing...

Vacate the win, fine the program, reprimand the entire defensive staff.

At some point Jurich will have to go...

I haven't seen, heard or read anything that says that Petrino had knowledge of this. His duty now is to fire the assistant coach that received the WF plays. Boeheim didn't know of Bernie's problems but took the appropriate action when he found out.

Without casting the official stone, it's hard to imagine that if an assistant had some knowledge of certain things the opponent might do, that it didn't surface in game planning prep, in which the head coach is heavily involved.

What guys may or may not do behind closed doors at home, that's a little different.

Without casting the official stone, it's hard to imagine that if an assistant had some knowledge of certain things the opponent might do, that it didn't surface in game planning prep, in which the head coach is heavily involved.

What guys may or may not do behind closed doors at home, that's a little different.
The HC is not always as heavily involved in the Game Planning as one might think. At the college level, they're much more of an Administrator. Especially an Offensive guy like Petrino.

It'd be more plausible for me to believe he knew if he was more of a Defensive Coach.

He may very well have known, and probably did. But, it's not hard for me to fathom that he may not have.

The HC is not always as heavily involved in the Game Planning as one might think. At the college level, they're much more of an Administrator. Especially an Offensive guy like Petrino.

It'd be more plausible for me to believe he knew if he was more of a Defensive Coach.

He may very well have known, and probably did. But, it's not hard for me to fathom that he may not have.

Assistants are under pressure to produce and impress their HC too. If Petrino knew , guy should be hit and hit hard but I could see a defensive coach/coordinator not telling their HC to solidify their standing too.

What problems? Bernie wasn't found guilty of anything nor was there much of any evidence, except for a guy who molested a kid himself and another known liar.

That's reasonable. I guess if I were him, given my past, I'd be removing that guy from the staff pretty quickly to separate myself from it.

Jurich's disinterested statement makes me wonder if he found out that more people knew than he (Jurich) hoped, so he just wants to get it into the past before it gets worse. You can't make an example of a guy if he has proof he told everyone else.

That's reasonable. I guess if I were him, given my past, I'd be removing that guy from the staff pretty quickly to separate myself from it.

Jurich's disinterested statement makes me wonder if he found out that more people knew than he (Jurich) hoped, so he just wants to get it into the past before it gets worse. You can't make an example of a guy if he has proof he told everyone else.
The ACC isn't going to let this go as the joke on the Ga. Tech is you don't want to get the Demon Deacon mad they run the conference. Petrino should be suspended for conference games. Fine him as well.

Wolford, who is listed at 6-1 and 200 pounds on the school’s roster, has been sacked 98 times in three seasons at Wake Forest, according to ESPN.com statistics.

He was sacked seven times and suffered a shoulder injury Nov. 12 in a 44-12 defeat against Louisville, which this week acknowledged receiving information from Elrod before its game against Wake Forest.

Last edited:
In the 1940's (?) Army won a game by mistakenly getting a fifth down which allowed them to score the winning touchdown. The next day they forfeited the win.

In the 1980's, Colorado won a game by mistakenly getting a fifth down which allowed them to score the winning touchdown. They didn't forfeit. That put them in a position to win a national title which they shared with Georgia Tech.

What is the NASCAR motto? If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

There is a vast expanse of difference between essentially participating in espionage vs benefitting from official error. Should teams that won a game because of a bogus holding penalty, called or not called, forfeit after the fact?

There is a vast expanse of difference between essentially participating in espionage vs benefitting from official error. Should teams that won a game because of a bogus holding penalty, called or not called, forfeit after the fact?

A questionable holding penalty is a subjective call even if it is obvious. A fifth down is an unquestionable error, especially as a goal line stand at the end of the game. Army was right to forfeit.

You are right that my post really has nothing to do with espionage. I brought it up because of a reference to Army, and also an example as to how a sense of honor has been dissipated by the pressures of winning.

Will ‏@PickleInADonut 23h23 hours ago

The newest #Louisville football logo

LouisvilleFootball
CzrjoGvUUAAGvPv.jpg

What problems? Bernie wasn't found guilty of anything nor was there much of any evidence, except for a guy who molested a kid himself and another known liar.
I didn't say "guilt". The problems were the accusations which, at the time, seemed possible. JB did what he should given the circumstances.

Wow!
Hey, Jurich... did you hear that? Cheaters!

It would've been sweeter if Wake had won and then presented everything in a public setting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom