Was that a competent offense? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Was that a competent offense?

Did Shy play yesterday? I thought he did but Bailey says he didn't.

I assume a couple of you meant Brisley and not Broyld. I feel good that we dominated URI, but I just feel so bad for Terrel. Increasing Womack's QB reps should be a no brained now. He can still learn a few packages at WR, but right now he's probably the #3 QB with a chance at #2.

I assume a couple of you meant Brisley and not Broyld. I feel good that we dominated URI, but I just feel so bad for Terrel. Increasing Womack's QB reps should be a no brained now. He can still learn a few packages at WR, but right now he's probably the #3 QB with a chance at #2.
Don't think so. Guessing he is developed as WR and kick return. Could be wrong.

I though the OL played pretty well. Yeah, there were times of penetration through the middle, but they created huge holes according to the running backs.
nothing up the middle from what i saw for 3qtrs.--maybe its pass protection,not good at all. at any rate we did not run up the middle much---probably by design to take advantage of the speed.

We really haven't seen the offense yet. I expect to see more option plays and more sideline to sideline passing. So far, we have seen more double wing formations than we have seen here in decades. Now, I suspect we will see lots of shifts and motion to go with it.
Should be interesting.
u have seen the offense line, that is scary--no way up to par

u have seen the offense line, that is scary--no way up to par
I just went back and watched every play in stop action. The only really lousy blocks were by HB lined up in the wing and Palmer. They ran a bunch of plays outside the tackles very effectively. RI stayed in their 4-3 most of the time and didn't blitz anybody. What did u see that bothers you?

I just went back and watched every play in stop action. The only really lousy blocks were by HB lined up in the wing and Palmer. They ran a bunch of plays outside the tackles very effectively. RI stayed in their 4-3 most of the time and didn't blitz anybody. What did u see that bothers you?
outside

Concerned about the jet sweeps wide against athletic ACC teams.

Maybe I was imagining it, but it seemed like a lot of east west stuff last night?

Concerned about the jet sweeps wide against athletic ACC teams.

Maybe I was imagining it, but it seemed like a lot of east west stuff last night?
i'm fine with a jet sweep option if the guy getting the ball can fly and if the QB is only handing off after reading the player out of position to deal with that carrier.

i don't see any point of handing it to ben lewis. he's not fast enough. i'm not sure if there was a read component to that particular play

it's a constraint type of play like the bubble screen - if teams respect the inside zone and cheat to it, you have the choice of handing it to someone fast to get out wide.

but like the bubble screen last year, you should only be handing it off when it's there, not force feeding it.

this expressback business is going to be be annoying. if they're going to play lewis here, they're going to have to give him the ball so that defenses can't predict what SU will do based on the formation. i think they enough talent to do just to the old 3 or 4 wide shotgun read option offense that everyone does.

i'm fine with a jet sweep option if the guy getting the ball can fly and if the QB is only handing off after reading the player out of position to deal with that carrier.

i don't see any point of handing it to ben lewis. he's not fast enough. i'm not sure if there was a read component to that particular play

it's a constraint type of play like the bubble screen - if teams respect the inside zone and cheat to it, you have the choice of handing it to someone fast to get out wide.

but like the bubble screen last year, you should only be handing it off when it's there, not force feeding it.

this expressback business is going to be be annoying. if they're going to play lewis here, they're going to have to give him the ball so that defenses can't predict what SU will do based on the formation. i think they enough talent to do just to the old 3 or 4 wide shotgun read option offense that everyone does.

Lewis did not appear fast enough to run the play.

I'm not sure the OL is strong enough to run the play.

that play needs to be called rascal left. dude has his turn signal on before the snap

go_go_elite_traveller_plus_hd_4_wheel_travel_scooter_blue.jpg

tbonezone said:
no real downfield threat emerged . granted it wasn't just hunt locked in on broyld for a 10 yd dropsie but our wr's need to make some plays.

Erv vs That LB looked good to me. Dungey just needed to shorten the throw by a half stride.

Lewis there just doesn't make sense. Especially because he was looking like a good WR out wide last year. Physical enough to block, to beat a bump. He's not the gamebreaker, but a good WR.

Putting him at hybrid just doesn't work. I get that there's a blocking component to the position, but it just seems like if Lewis is in, that position will block, if it's Erv or Strickland, it will probably run. DCs will understand how to play it based on our personnel.

Chip said:
Lewis there just doesn't make sense. Especially because he was looking like a good WR out wide last year. Physical enough to block, to beat a bump. He's not the gamebreaker, but a good WR. Putting him at hybrid just doesn't work. I get that there's a blocking component to the position, but it just seems like if Lewis is in, that position will block, if it's Erv or Strickland, it will probably run. DCs will understand how to play it based on our personnel.

We didn't see very much - very vanilla. I'd bet that there are a lot of plays where it looks like the XB is getting the ball, but that guys the decoy. Or with Lewis - looks like run, but he sneaks out past the sticks for a 1st. I have a feeling anybody trying to figure out that position from week to week is going to have a very difficult job.

We didn't see very much - very vanilla. I'd bet that there are a lot of plays where it looks like the XB is getting the ball, but that guys the decoy. Or with Lewis - looks like run, but he sneaks out past the sticks for a 1st. I have a feeling anybody trying to figure out that position from week to week is going to have a very difficult job.

You have to figure Strickland is only going to get better and more comfortable, it's going to be hard to keep him off the field as, at a minimum, the backup. I think the outside WR position would benefit from Lewis. He was developing there nicely.

Just my untrained opinion. I think it could be a good problem to have.

Strickland is going to find a way on the field somewhere.

Maybe receiver.

We're overloaded at XB.

Perkins will be moved to tailback now that Washington's people have stopped making demands.

I started watching SU football in '04. So I can honestly say I've been miserable for a good 75% of the time. If that help makes you understand my position.
I feel your pain. I started following SU football in '72, which was our first losing season since the '40's. It took years and years before they reached .500 in my years of fandom. But it got much better and it will again!

this week is a must win game and the kid is going to get ALL the snaps in practice.

there is some tweeking to be done for sure and the 'Hunt, F it...ill just run for 11' factor is now gone and thats a little scary as it will all be on the boards boy Lester to matriculate the ball down the field with said kid.

this season hasnt changed for me, maybe next years will...

Look, people! This program has been through much more than most teams in the past 10 years. yet, 'CUSE has been able to scrape togther a few decent seasons & win Bowl games.
Things are not what they were in the 80's & 90's, & we may never see the string of success we enjoyed during that stretch, but we will see more good things & will win the ACC occasionally.
Small measures of growing success is better than nothing, & we are not the cellar dwellers of the mid 2000's any more...

Lewis there just doesn't make sense. Especially because he was looking like a good WR out wide last year. Physical enough to block, to beat a bump. He's not the gamebreaker, but a good WR.

Putting him at hybrid just doesn't work. I get that there's a blocking component to the position, but it just seems like if Lewis is in, that position will block, if it's Erv or Strickland, it will probably run. DCs will understand how to play it based on our personnel.
You did see him catch a 16 yards right? That is what he is there for.

Lewis is a tweener. Not fast enough for a true WR not big enough for a TE He needs to play the slot as the kid has decent hands and is tough. He is not a Express back that is for sure

Lewis is a tweener. Not fast enough for a true WR not big enough for a TE He needs to play the slot as the kid has decent hands and is tough. He is not a Express back that is for sure
Not an Express, more like a Local. :cool:

rosconey said:
im not hammering any dam agenda - im just not giddy about what i saw last night as you guys-

havent said one bad thing about dungy- not one - said he looks like a 3rd year kid physically and played solid -

i just refuse to buy into the new backs being world busters - ri defense was pretty bad and we only put up 3 tds on offense

You're kind of throwing turds all around the house. There's realistic and there's negative. I don't think you know the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom