Watching IU last night, did anyone else think... | Syracusefan.com

Watching IU last night, did anyone else think...

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
awww, that's a nice little team they have, but they might win 7-8 games in the BE. ( And I really liked IU as a team going in, and have had a 2 year man crush on Home Depot.) The disparity in size and athletic ability was staggering.

Not at all. But having seen them play all season long, I knew that they were far from invincible, despite their #1 seeding.

awww, that's a nice little team they have, but they might win 7-8 games in the BE. ( And I really liked IU as a team going in, and have had a 2 year man crush on Home Depot.) The disparity in size and athletic ability was staggering.

No, I don't. The Syracuse 2-3 zone did the job and you guys deserve the credit. Against the entire Big East, IU would have won more than 7-8 games. That is silly.

No, I don't. The Syracuse 2-3 zone did the job and you guys deserve the credit. Against the entire Big East, IU would have won more than 7-8 games. That is silly.
To be honest I'm not sure what to think about IU. SU obviously took them completely out of their game last night. Oladipo is the only one that really showed up last night and he often looked frustrated. I do think Louisville, Marquette and GTown would fair well against IU.

IU is an excellent basketball team. They got out coached and out played last night. That doesn't take away from their season.

For the first time all year, JB put an offensive scheme around his strengths, posting BT and MCW up early and allowing them to blow by IUs shorter and slower guards at will. And our defense utterly confused them...it was deer in the headlights time again...

I've watched Indiana a ton this year and were petrified of playing them, but it wasn't until last night that I realized how small their guards were. Our transition defense was terrific. Knew we could handle them in a half court game.

We did look like we were way more athletic and bigger. IU would still fare well in the BE. I've watched them several times this year and when their offense is moving they are relentless. We played phenominal defense last night to the point that I think they got frustrated. to hold Hulls and Yogi scoreless while our guards scored 38 was the game. Our interior defense played well and our Bigs should be commended. Still ... I wouldn't want to see VO, Watford and Zeller get untracked.

I think IU matches up really with teams like Georgetown, UConn, Villanova, etc. They'd win 10 games easily.

I've watched Indiana a ton this year and were petrified of playing them, but it wasn't until last night that I realized how small their guards were. Our transition defense was terrific. Knew we could handle them in a half court game.

Without question, the thing that gets lost in last night's victory was how well we got back on transition D. I was impressed at how fast IU got the ball up the floor, and can see how they can score a lot on teams by running, but we got back so fast on transition D, very impressive.

Obviously the mismatch at guards, the 1/2 court D and the swarming on Zeller, but the transition D, well that was just the icing on the cake last night.

In the first half I thought this looks a lot like the Oklahoma game in '03. A talented backcourt that looked completely lost at how to break down the zone.

Was having pleasant flashbacks of Hollis Price.

They would not have made the BE tournament semifinals. They would have been physically manhandled by us, Pitt, Gtown, UL, Marquette, likely Cinci. I didn't realize how physically small they were, and how ineffective their guards were. I even thought Oladipo was bigger. And Zeller is S-L-O-W. How they got to be #1 is a mystery to me.

With our meat grinder BE schedule this year they would've been a 10-12 win BE team similar to SU. L'Ville, G'Town, and Nova x 2 would've gave em issues. Marquette's physical play would also give them issues if they were playing w/ BE refs.

FWIW I don't think we would've went 14-4 with their B1G schedule, more likely a 12-6ish record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom