Watching SJU / UCONN Big East Tourney | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Watching SJU / UCONN Big East Tourney

he's still got stride and he's still got reach . don't count on it. he'll pop you from across the room.
I’ve seen OX run from the cops, he can move.

so Colgate and Cornell st Bonny folded years ago ? it's you who needs the economics lesson.

Interesting you chose schools who are utterly irrelevant in college athletics to try to make a case Syracuse wouldn’t be utterly irrelevant if we’d stayed in the Big East. That’s so nonsensical, I can’t even figure out how that makes sense to you.

Syracuse football and basketball would be as relevant as the programs at St Bonnie’s and Colgate had we stayed in the Big East - that is 100% correct. How does that support your argument Syracuse should have stayed in the Big East exactly?

Big East TV contract pays out about $4.6M per school. UConn gets about $0.5M from their football deal with CBSSports. ACC TV contract is @$30M. As a private school, the athletic department would need to make massive cuts if there was a $25M/yr difference in revenues. There is no way to make that up, which is why Syracuse needed to get out of the Big East. It’s not that hard to understand, unless you really, really don’t want to understand because of an emotional attachment to the old Big East.

It’s over, man - let it go…

Last edited:
With all the upsets yesterday, it looks like St Johns and Seton Hall are both going to be sweating it out today - unlikely both make it and highly possible neither does. Crazy how much the bracketology changed in the last 36 hours.

Sure thing.

Just nuke the football program, tell Coach Fran "thanks but no thanks", and give back all that NIL money.

I think you've got a better chance of the United States begging the UK to take us back as a colony.
Funny thing is I’d do all that on a heartbeat. Obviously not happening, but a cool hoops conference with a tourney in nyc? You could blow it all up on the football side. Fran has been an incredible breath of fresh air, but when hoops is right, nothing else comes close

Funny thing is I’d do all that on a heartbeat. Obviously not happening, but a cool hoops conference with a tourney in nyc? You could blow it all up on the football side. Fran has been an incredible breath of fresh air, but when hoops is right, nothing else comes close

It's only a cool tournament if you win.

ACC in DC is a great event, sucks for people here because we don't win.

Watched some of the PAC12 tourney yesterday and that tourney is lame. Half filled stadium and just not that exciting of a feel through the TV.

Big east and ACC were filled with energy. You’re correct if we made the finals that place would’ve been lit up with orange and it would’ve been an amazing atmosphere just like it was last night

Watched some of the PAC12 tourney yesterday and that tourney is lame. Half filled stadium and just not that exciting of a feel through the TV.

Big east and ACC were filled with energy. You’re correct if we made the finals that place would’ve been lit up with orange and it would’ve been an amazing atmosphere just like it was last night

1. All the cool kids got knocked out (Zona, USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc...)

2. It's in Vegas. Would you rather watch Oregon/Colorado, or find something else to do.

It’s like every year in the ACC tournament has been the 2008 Big East tournament for Syracuse. Totally agree that it’s not enjoyable - that Big East tournament sucked - but the idea the huge drop off is primarily due to moving to the ACC is a huge leap many are making, while actively ignoring or downplaying a whole host of other issues.

Syracuse football and basketball would be as relevant as the programs at St Bonnie’s and Colgate had we stayed in the Big East - that is 100% correc

Interesting you chose schools who are utterly irrelevant in college athletics
well we are irrelevant. 2023 saw no dance. no bowls and no lax invite. and your suggestion that any team not associated with the ACC is doomed is nonsensical. big east is and was the more geographically logical choice and frankly st bonny , colgate, and cornell give our sports program all they can handle. they actually played in some postseason last year. much better fit my friend. we suck in the ACC. fact.

Last edited:
well we are irrelevant. 2023 saw no dance. no bowls and no lax invite. and your suggestion that any team not associated with the ACC is doomed is nonsensical. big east is and was the more geographically logical choice and frankly st bonny , colgate, and cornell give our sports program all they can handle. they actually played in some postseason last year. much better fit my friend. we suck in the ACC. fact.

I get that you are fully committed to your objectively absurd and possibly insane position. We are fortunate to have leadership at the university who are better able to assess the situation.

Georgetown was solid in 2013; they’ve been garbage for most of the last decade. Using your “logic”, they shouldnt have joined the New Big East because what conference you are in is the sole determiner of your success…they chose poorly. Your reasoning is that nutty, it blows my mind people can actually believe something that irrational.

Last edited:
Because Duke and UNC can't collect every 5 star, lol. We actually have a 5 star signed this class. How? Relationships w Straughn, an engaged head coach etc.
One 5* is not enough to compete with Duke or Carolina. Our recruiting tanked when we left the BE. Some say that JB lost his fire. That goes against everything we know about him. Fact is that we lost tons of recruiting battles that we used to win. We even spread a wider net and still got stood up at the alter.

Chip Kelly was right

There is a TON logistically to his theory, but it is by far the best one I've heard for realignment.

For those who never heard him speak about it, it was essentially this:

Let every sport except football be tied to a regional conference and football can be independent. If UCLA wants to join the big10, so be it, but the Olympic sports stay in the Pac12.

For Syracuse -- maybe football goes to the ACC but everything else could be BE.

Again -- a ton of moving parts no matter what you do... but your biggest money maker at the school should be able to get the most $$ for the school possible, without burning it once you receive it by making the olympic sports spend more to get places

One 5* is not enough to compete with Duke or Carolina. Our recruiting tanked when we left the BE. Some say that JB lost his fire. That goes against everything we know about him. Fact is that we lost tons of recruiting battles that we used to win. We even spread a wider net and still got stood up at the alter.
We are recruiting this year the same we recruited up until 2016. Getting players ranked 20-100. We were never recruiting with Duke and Carolina yet we somehow were better than both when we first came in the league. This argument you have is so insanely wrong. JB wasn't even running Division 1 practices at the end. I know it hurts, but JB was not a good coach the last 5 years of his career.

I will say this though: Our nostalgia does not help here.

The Big East Tournament was so fun for us because of the rivalries but also because we competed well in them. We have stunk in the ACCT. If we were better we would miss the BET less and less. Rivalries can be born anew, but right now we all yearn for UConn/StJ/Gtown/Nova/etc.

Gotta start winning multiple games in (barf) greensboro

Your right on some of that but your being a JB fanboy. He was just going through the motions for over the last 5-10 years. He wasn't going all out to get another title. He started his son by his Sophomore year, c'mon! Did leaving the BE play a factor? Sure, its possible. So did Sanctions, losing hop, not making staff changes, playing 100% zone etc. I would love to know when guys didnt choose SU, if the main factor was, "well they no longer play in the BE". I kinda doubt it. Take Isiaha Stewart. From Rochester, goes to UW. Why? His relationship with Hop. Like playing against Duke, UNC, UVA (national title in 18), playing on ESPN is not a selling point? We went to the ACC not the Atlantic 10. You should be able to sell what I just listed.

Your right on some of that but your being a JB fanboy. He was just going through the motions for over the last 5-10 years. He wasn't going all out to get another title. He started his son by his Sophomore year, c'mon! Did leaving the BE play a factor? Sure, its possible. So did Sanctions, losing hop, not making staff changes, playing 100% zone etc. I would love to know when guys didnt choose SU, if the main factor was, "well they no longer play in the BE". I kinda doubt it. Take Isiaha Stewart. From Rochester, goes to UW. Why? His relationship with Hop. Like playing against Duke, UNC, UVA (national title in 18), playing on ESPN is not a selling point? We went to the ACC not the Atlantic 10. You should be able to sell what I just listed.
The respective bigs at Duke and UConn turned us down. We are a fish out of water in the ACC. That is a major factor in our recruiting losses. As to the comment that Nova is now middling: they are a number 2 seed. If we stayed: we would still be a hoops power, our football team would be beyond repair and we would have had financial difficulties. We had no choice. Never the less, it was tragic for hoops.

The respective bigs at Duke and UConn turned us down. We are a fish out of water in the ACC. That is a major factor in our recruiting losses. As to the comment that Nova is now middling: they are a number 2 seed. If we stayed: we would still be a hoops power, our football team would be beyond repair and we would have had financial difficulties. We had no choice. Never the less, it was tragic for hoops.
Nova is a number 2 seed in the NIT. Whoopie.

Theres one former rival that is good. UConn.

But sure playing Creighton and Butler would have stopped JB from getting old.

The Big East isn't the conference we left either. Jay Wright had a good run and left.
The old days of Georgetown, St Johns, Villanova. Syracuse, Connecticut, battling are gone. Now you have so many teams that have no relevance to the east coast, it's a joke to call the Conference The Big East.

Right, nothing says Big East like trips to Milwaukee, Indy and Omaha. From a distance, one would say those schools are a fish out of water, yet 2 of those 3 are thriving. The location is an overrated factor.

Right, nothing says Big East like trips to Milwaukee, Indy and Omaha. From a distance, one would say those schools are a fish out of water, yet 2 of those 3 are thriving. The location is an overrated factor.
The Big East isn't the conference we left either. Jay Wright had a good run and left.
The old days of Georgetown, St Johns, Villanova. Syracuse, Connecticut, battling are gone. Now you have so many teams that have no relevance to the east coast, it's a joke to call the Conference The Big East.
Thank you. Also let’s not pretend the Big East is a better conference. It’s a media darling but since we’ve joined the ACC:
3 schools have won a title (Duke, UNC, UVA)
5 (including us) have a made at least one Final Four (Miami)
Another 2-3 have made at least one Elite Eight (FSU & Notre Dame)

How many other conferences can boast that over the last decade ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom