Watching UCOnn, I can see why many | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Watching UCOnn, I can see why many

so is this UCONN hate or Hurley hate? This year's team is fun to watch. Very good, and frankly makes me very envious. Their program success tops ours. It sucks but it is what it is. We are part of that history and have provided some thorns in their side, and they have achieved more than us. We need to get off our feet and get back in the fight.

so is this UCONN hate or Hurley hate? This year's team is fun to watch. Very good, and frankly makes me very envious. Their program success tops ours. It sucks but it is what it is. We are part of that history and have provided some thorns in their side, and they have achieved more than us. We need to get off our feet and get back in the fight.
Both. Fck them. luckiest program every time they have a good team. Threw them in a region where the 2 seed was down 2 of their 5 starters.

Last edited:

It's both... jealousy and their doosh coach. I'll admit it.

I really hope they hit a wall and the doosher goes ape and gets T'd up in a spaz-tantrum and they go down in flames. They have had more than their share of luck and karma's a bitch.

Also, I am not sure I can support a sport where Danny Hurley wins the natty.

Hurley is a really hard human to root for.

After UConn got that garbage natty with Kemba, I’ve viewed their title count as inflated and I’m not sure I could stomach them getting another one against one of the weakest NCAAT fields we’ve seen in a long time.

It is what it is. They have the bragging rights. And honestly, I don’t really have anything bad to say about their fans. They had little brother syndrome for a while but that’s faded.

Hurley has outworked JB these last few years. It has taken a few years for it to bake but its now came together for them. He even won a game head to head while he was building it back in 19.

Go back and compare recruiting classes. The # of top 100 players they signed compared to SU is staggering. All this while their Athletic Department is in debt due to their football program being in limbo between the AAC, canceling a whole season and going independent. All the complaints that started popping up on this board going back to around 19/20 eventually caught up to JB.

That said, its not a forgone conclusion they win it all or make it to Houston but god I hope I dont have to witness a Murder Inc (bama) vs Uconnvict title game.

Both. Fck them. luckiest program every time they have a good team. Threw them in a region where the 2 seed was down 2 of their 5 starters.
I think part of the anger is that two of our best teams in recent memory (2010, 2012) were completely UNLUCKY when it came to the tournament due to injury and a BS suspension (that would definitely not happen today).

Hurley has outworked JB these last few years. It has taken a few years for it to bake but its now came together for them. He even won a game head to head while he was building it back in 19.

Go back and compare recruiting classes. The # of top 100 players they signed compared to SU is staggering. All this while their Athletic Department is in debt due to their football program being in limbo between the AAC, canceling a whole season and going independent. All the complaints that started popping up on this board going back to around 19/20 eventually caught up to JB.

That said, its not a forgone conclusion they win it all or make it to Houston but god I hope I dont have to witness a Murder Inc (bama) vs Uconnvict title game.
Bama vs U Conn. the Sophie’s Choice of college basketball title games. That can’t happen

Point being did we at that time post about how lucky we were?

I mean, I didn’t. Getting to an e8 is hard and you can only beat who’s in front of you.
Nope I didn’t say we were lucky either. We could say the same about 1996. Playing a 13, a 12 and an 8 got us to the Elite 8. Let’s face it, we just all hate Cokehead Hurley but they are legit

I guess that is my point too we are jealous because they have outworked us. We had buried their program and now we are quite far away from the product they are currently putting on the court.

Is our history all that different other than 4 titles vs 1? They went on some lucky tourney runs. They deserve all the credit for those. But We’ve been in 3 national title games and won 1 (lost another on a buzzer beater and another to a dream team). Winning two games makes them that much better of a program? The tourney is always a crap shoot. Throw in AO’s injury and Fab’s suspension and we could have 3 or 4 titles. Other than the titles (which are admittedly huge), our NCAA tourney history is better than theirs. We have 6 Final Fours vs their 5. We have more Sweet 16s and overall tourney victories. And our Big East regular season and tourney history is comparable.

Is our history all that different other than 4 titles vs 1? They went on some lucky tourney runs. They deserve all the credit for those. But We’ve been in 3 national title games and won 1 (lost another on a buzzer beater and another to a dream team). Winning two games makes them that much better of a program? The tourney is always a crap shoot. Throw in AO’s injury and Fab’s suspension and we could have 3 or 4 titles. Other than the titles (which are admittedly huge), our NCAA tourney history is better than theirs. We have 6 Final Fours vs their 5. We have more Sweet 16s. And our Big East regular season and tourney history is comparable.
Well other than the 4 titles to 1......

I think part of the anger is that two of our best teams in recent memory (2010, 2012) were completely UNLUCKY when it came to the tournament due to injury and a BS suspension (that would definitely not happen today).
Garbage. It's 2011 all over again. That year the 2 seed was a mid major and the one seed in their region lost to a mediocre power 5 team.

I changed my mind, someone will knock them off. Or at least I tell myself that so I can sleep well tonight

The 1999 and 2004 teams (and Ray Allen and 2006 team) are better than this 2023 team. The Kemba team is probably comparable to this team. All are better than their 2014 Shabazz team.

This team is complete and very deep, very athletic. The weakness is that Jackson is a poor shooter. That being said the seeds have fallen in their favor for sure. They always do well out west it seems.

For whatever its worth, Uconn's adjusted efficiency margin this year per KenPom is +27.8, in 04 it was +28.3. 2011 was +23.9, and 2014 was +22.13. No ratings back in 1999. You can't necessarily directly compare the ratings from every season, but it certainly seems like this team has more in common with the 04 team than 11 or 14.

I also suspect if we had archives from the board in 2004, we'd have a lot of posts about how UConn actually isn't that good and how we were probably just as good as them. (Especially after we beat them the last game of the regular season)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom