We’ve got to make shots… | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We’ve got to make shots…

Jake

Mod
Expecting this team to rebound is lunacy.

The bigger issue is Buddy and Cole missing shots and Joe giving away 2-3 possessions without being presssured.

Every offensive possession with this team hs to be productive.

There you have it, rebounding is 90 percent effort and desire. We do not seem to put in that effort for rebounding.
If you want to say that our players weren’t trying to rebound then knock yourself out. Villanova has better athletes and when you combine that with a relentless approach to rebounding we never had a shot on the glass

Upvote 1
If you want to say that our players weren’t trying to rebound then knock yourself out. Villanova has better athletes and when you combine that with a relentless approach to rebounding we never had a shot on the glass
Watch the game again, we had the rebound in our hands many times and lost the possession to a Villanova player, that is not because of atleticism.

Upvote 0
When our shooters aren’t making shots JB has to get them rest and have them watch a little. There is no reason for a 3-15 Buddy needs to play 38 minutes and a 2-7 Cole needs to play 39. If you aren’t going to use your bench in games like this when our shooters are so off then what’s the point? If JB “can’t trust his bench” again then that is on him recruit or develop better

We're 5 deep. Maybe 5.25 because Symir occasionally has some moments. There have been a lot of years when he had some potential answers on the bench that weren't getting use (last year for instance when Jessie and Braswell were rotting away for no reason until late in the year) but this year we don't. There is some quickness and jumping ability on the bench but very little basketball skill.

Upvote 1
We're 5 deep. Maybe 5.25 because Symir occasionally has some moments. There have been a lot of years when he had some potential answers on the bench that weren't getting use (last year for instance when Jessie and Braswell were rotting away for no reason until late in the year) but this year we don't. There is some quickness and jumping ability on the bench but very little basketball skill.
The other day I was told that saying Edwards was wasting away on the bench last year unnecessarily was a “jerk” thing to say. Glad you’re on Team Scooch. ;)

That is EXACTLY because of athleticism. Stronger. Faster. Quicker.
Pearl31 would like to have a cryptic, passive aggressive word with you.

Upvote 0
It may be the worst SU bench since I started following the team 30 years ago, in that regard. I can't recall a year where we didn't have at least one guy who could come in and score a little. Doing hockey line-style substitutions with a crew like this seems like insanity to me.
The HC thought this team was really good and scheduled that way.
He clearly had little problem with bench as to how he constructed this roster.

Upvote 0
Right- this is all part of it. I was oversimplifying but the point still stands in terms of getting looks vs that style of defense.

Nova was content to give up 2s all night or put someone on the FT line vs allowing open 3s. Thus we have to work harder to get those looks.
.....and we need to work harder to make 2s and free throws!! Got to beat them with what they give you. They worked all week to take away our 3s and did a good job at it.

Upvote 0
Cole is the key to this team. He needs a pick to get his shot off(slow release when closely guarded) or hit the pick man on the roll. A two man game with Jesse would give him a better chance to be a factor. Jimmy has replaced marek on offense the remainder of the team is much like last year except for QG ,that is why Cole needs to equal or exceed QG on offense.

Upvote 0
Usually teams decide between staying back to secure rebounds or leaking out in transition to quickly capitalize when they get the ball. We don’t try to rebound and also don’t try to run. And that allows our opponents to crash the glass with reckless abandon because we won’t make them pay if they don’t get it.
I totally agree with this post. When the opposing team puts a shot in the air we neither try to crash the boards nor try to run. It seems obvious to me we are not a running team with such a short bench and several slower players, so we should be crashing the boards. Get the rebound then worry about setting up the offense. I never played basketball but I understand that rebounding 3 point shots is a bit different. After the Nova game, I wonder if more teams are going to pour 35 to 45 three point attempts at us. Seems to possibly be a new way to beat our rebounding challenged team. If they miss, put it back up or pass it out for another attempt on 70% of the misses. Rebounding may kill us!!!

Upvote 0
Cole Swider has be a disappointment in all facets of the game.

I disagree. He's getting boards and he's hitting foul shots. When the 3 isn't falling, he dribbles inside and tries to get a 2. He hustles and he tries, maybe a bit too hard. But he's talented.

If you had only seen Buddy this season, you would not understand how anybody could think this guy is an All American. He's been too easy to shut down. Granted, they are letting people foul him all the time.

But he just doesn't look right. He's missing way too many easy shots. I think he probably has some sort of muscle issue.

But you shouldn't give up on Buddy, and you shouldn't give up on Cole. He's going to going to win some games for us this year. There are going to be nights he puts up 25 later this season.

Upvote 0
... If you had only seen Buddy this season, you would not understand how anybody could think this guy is an All American. He's been too easy to shut down. Granted, they are letting people foul him all the time.
But he just doesn't look right. He's missing way too many easy shots. I think he probably has some sort of muscle issue. ...
I wondered the same thing. Could it be a muscle issue or a sprain of some sort, or maybe just a cold? He hasn't been making the shots - drives as well as 3-pointers - that he usually makes. I don't think it's the the level of competition that's bothering him, because he'd been making those shots against good competition in the past.

Upvote 0
Look man I like your posts but the game was not 5-6 missed plays. The game was about getting absolutely destroyed on the boards. How big was the rebounding differential vs FLST? They missed a ton and are bigger and more athletic than NOVA
Did Nova get all those rebounds in the last five minutes of the game? Zoo is spot on.

Upvote 0
No need to watch the game again. The silver bullet is being -21 in rebounds. Yes we are a bad rebounding team but getting beat by 21 boards and giving up 18 offensive boards is beyond bad. You can over analyze every play all you want when you get crushed on the boards as badly as we did you have almost no chance to win.
And yet we led at the half and for most of the game.

Upvote 0
Anselem won a game for us at the line - checks notes - last week.

Upvote 0
And yet we led at the half and for most of the game.
We got dominated on the boards in the 2nd half including 14 offensive rebounds. We got hammered in the 2nd half. Are you seeing the correlation?

Upvote 0
When a team shoots 50 3 point shots, your going to have a lot of long rebounds on misses. It is then easier for offensive players to get those rebounds because they are facing the basket and can see where the direction the ball is going and get a jump on the defensive player who's back is to the basket. In addition, if the refs are going to allow a lot of physical play to get those rebounds that is really going to favor the more stronger physical team which Nova is. I knew when it said the game was at Syracuse, and Nova got their refs, we had a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Terrible in his 2 minutes lol. In those 2 minutes he had 1 rebound which is only 1 less that jimmy had in 38 minutes while we got blasted on the glass all night.
Do you even watch the game?

Upvote 0
I disagree. He's getting boards and he's hitting foul shots. When the 3 isn't falling, he dribbles inside and tries to get a 2. He hustles and he tries, maybe a bit too hard. But he's talented.

If you had only seen Buddy this season, you would not understand how anybody could think this guy is an All American. He's been too easy to shut down. Granted, they are letting people foul him all the time.

But he just doesn't look right. He's missing way too many easy shots. I think he probably has some sort of muscle issue.

But you shouldn't give up on Buddy, and you shouldn't give up on Cole. He's going to going to win some games for us this year. There are going to be nights he puts up 25 later this season.
I am not giving up on him, I guess my expectations were too high. I wish he would be more active and not disappear for long stretches in games. I feel he needs to do better a job moving and relocating when others drive. I also understand that this team struggles to pull off defenders when driving and get the defense moving.

Upvote 0
We got dominated on the boards in the 2nd half including 14 offensive rebounds. We got hammered in the 2nd half. Are you seeing the correlation?
Correlation does not imply causation. We were also dominated on the boards in the first half, yet had the lead. It was a four-point game with six minutes left in the second half.

Our second half offense was basically Junior and Edwards. Girard lost his mojo after he lost the ball off his foot. Buddy and Swider did even less than they did in the first half.

Nova pulled away late. It was obvious a comeback wasn’t happening when they were up by 7 or 8 and Buddy missed a wide open three. The game was a lot closer than the final score indicated. You can complain about rebounds all you want, but we still had a chance in spite of that disparity.

Upvote 0
The reality is we don’t have an offensive system. Our offensive system is iso basketball. We have guys on our team that are catch and shoot players. We don’t have a PG to dribble penetrate and then kick out. So making shots is much more difficult then it needs to be because we have players that are asked to create, when that is not there skill set.

Bottom line, our offensive system is like taking square blocks and trying to put them in circle holes.
We need some Matt Painter offensive sets! Or even some basic old boring JB plays. I hate the endless isolation set-ups. We need to set more off ball screens to get guys like Cole and Buddy some open looks.

Upvote 0
We need some Matt Painter offensive sets! Or even some basic old boring JB plays. I hate the endless isolation set-ups. We need to set more off ball screens to get guys like Cole and Buddy some open looks.
Maybe the coaches want the players to work on ISO skills during this part of the season to set them up for the league play.

Upvote 0
Maybe the coaches want the players to work on ISO skills during this part of the season to set them up for the league play.
Do you say to yourself I am going to say something like this to get wrestling heel heat.

My god JB doesn’t think 2 games ahead and you think he is doing something that literally makes no sense but you want to say it to appear goofy.

The answer to your question is undisputedly NO.

We don’t have a facilitator PG that is the issue when you run a heavy ISO offense.
If our PG could penetrate then our shooters would be able to do their thing on catch and shoot.

Steph Curry can make unassisted 3’s.
Most good shooters can’t they get set up.

Steph Curry has double the unassisted 3’s that Ray Allen had.

Our guys are more Ray Allen than Steph Curry shooting wise. We need a PG.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom