We Are Number One! | Syracusefan.com

We Are Number One!

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
In attendance anyway.

usa-today-8400363.0.jpg

Take That Kentucky!

(OrangeXtreme linked to this in his amazing Daily Articles post from last night but I thought it deserved its own thread).

Last edited:
Next year will take a big hit without Duke on the home slate... but a lot depends on # of marquee weekend games.

Cowtown said:
Just like all the other programs, so the basis for comparison is legitimate.

Did we sell 25k and whole sections decided not to show up?

This has been going on for a few seasons and has really been obvious since the start of last year.

When the top 6 rows of 306 and 314 have 0 people in them at tip-off, that means they're unsold. And if they're unsold, attendance is a lot closer to 21,000 than 25,000.

Every sports team uses "tickets sold" for its attendance figure; no gripe here. But SU is unusual in making its attendance number up out of thin air.

I don't know, I don't get to see many of the games. My point was that "tickets sold" is more or less the universal standard, so IMO to compare SU's attendance to other programs, in terms of tickets sold then, is neither unfair nor unrealistic. If not the only metric readily available.

Cowtown said:
I don't know, I don't get to see many of the games. My point was that "tickets sold" is more or less the universal standard, so IMO to compare SU's attendance to other programs, in terms of tickets sold then, is neither unfair nor unrealistic. If not the only metric readily available.

I agree tix sold is the standard. But we didn't even sell out the near corners.

This has been going on for a few seasons and has really been obvious since the start of last year.

When the top 6 rows of 306 and 314 have 0 people in them at tip-off, that means they're unsold. And if they're unsold, attendance is a lot closer to 21,000 than 25,000.

Every sports team uses "tickets sold" for its attendance figure; no gripe here. But SU is unusual in making its attendance number up out of thin air.

It's not from thin air. How about season tickets sold, game tickets sold and walk ups the day of the game. Sadly too many sections are sparsely filled at tip off but fill up later. My row had 5 people at tipoff but ended up with 13 by half-time. I sit near the box office and was shocked to see 6 people in line to buy tickets at half-time.

I agree tix sold is the standard. But we didn't even sell out the near corners.

The 300's above the north basket (vistors bench side) around 317 is usually sparse. Is this the family section?

OrangeXtreme said:
We'll get North Carolina, and maybe Michigan State.

Michigan State will likely fall on a weekday.

Was planning to make a post on this subject. By my calcs our average attendance for the 18 home games this year was 23,854, which is close to the number SB Nation is using. Kentucky was 2nd last year with 22,964 and Louisville 3rd with 21,282. So all things being equal, we should win again.

SB Nation does not say how they got the UK and UL numbers for this year. Anyway, it's not official until the NCAA posts the results.

We'll get North Carolina, and maybe Michigan State.
More importantly...we need a few more Saturday late afternoon/evening tips when the students are in session.

It's not from thin air. How about season tickets sold, game tickets sold and walk ups the day of the game. Sadly too many sections are sparsely filled at tip off but fill up later. My row had 5 people at tipoff but ended up with 13 by half-time. I sit near the box office and was shocked to see 6 people in line to buy tickets at half-time.

I disagree and maintain they're making the number up.

For decades the crowd distribution in the seats has had some apparent relation to the announced tickets sold. That hasn't been the case in recent seasons.

For decades the crowd distribution in the seats has had some apparent relation to the announced tickets sold. That hasn't been the case in recent seasons.
Well, I believe the league offices are expecting a check based upon the number that was publicly reported.

Cheriehoop said:
The 300's above the north basket (vistors bench side) around 317 is usually sparse. Is this the family section?

Yes, but even the next 2 sections closer to side court weren't sold out. Same with the other end. No way they sold 25k

Just a fact, attendance doesn't equal tickets sold. If 20,500 season tickets were sold ,I imagine logically every home game starts with that attendance.

People just aren't showing for some games. Sitting just around me in my row, there are people from Geneseo, Homer, Victor, Marathon and Fairport. The Homer and Geneseo people were there Monday however 8 people from the other 3 locations weren't and all are season ticket holders. I know other people who have purchased season tickets like investments just to insure they can always go to the big games and then put the rest on stub hub to attempt to recoup some costs. On weekdays particularly in bad weather, many people with tickets just stay home and watch on tv. I couldn't attend a game earlier this season and gave my 2 tickets to a young ex-coworker who I found out later never even showed. (he's permamantly off the list:oops: ).

I do know some of these people were complaining about the lack of weekend games and the loss of the Duke home game in the near future so season ticket sales thus attendance very well may take a hit next year. The weather certainly hasn't helped either.

Yes, but even the next 2 sections closer to side court weren't sold out. Same with the other end. No way they sold 25k

Aren't those season tickets? If they sold them then they are there, attendance-wise for every game regardless if they show. Isn't that how it works? Heck there were courtside seats empty - they were sold - people just didn't show.

Cheriehoop said:
Aren't those season tickets? If they sold them then they are there, attendance-wise for every game regardless if they show. Isn't that how it works? Heck there were courtside seats empty - they were sold - people just didn't show.

Those whole sections aren't all sold out. And yes, the number does start with seasons sold. But there was only a handful of people sitting in the seats that aren't seasons. I doubt 4000 of the 4500 sold as a single game were no shows. Another thing that I think inflates our numbers is that they control every single student seat as sold which means all 3 of those sections upstairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom