We can’t compete with the blue bloods | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We can’t compete with the blue bloods

Do you realize how many players didn’t find a home after the Covid season it’s in the 100’s your telling me there’s not 5-6 depth guys that could’ve been productive? You do realize our lack of depth is what killed us the last 3 games. You need those guys
There's a reason they didn't find a home. Why would you think players that nobody else wanted would be able to help us?

There's a reason they didn't find a home. Why would you think players that nobody else wanted would be able to help us?
Who says they are bad have you thought for a second maybe the first year of the portal with a mass exodus of players transferring due to the unique situation Covid brought coupled with coaches not yet on the portal wave so they have full high school recruiting classes with no more room in the inn is a perfect recipe for some players being overlooked or accepting positions on lower level teams. Some guys are due to be overlooked , what is going on here this is the Syracuse football board all we talk about are diamonds in the rough I did not expect such backlash for my original comment I thought that was the overall consensus on here.

OP - this didn’t go how you hoped it would, huh?

We don’t need 15, or 12, or even 10 guys from the portal, just to add warm bodies.

And guys won’t come if they don’t see an opportunity for more PT, and/or at a higher level than they had prior.

Ideally we land maybe 6-9 (NIICE!) guys from the portal, all at positions of need.

Here’s my wish list:
1 QB
1-2 OL (ideally a C or T)
1-2 WR - AET2.0 & Trishton2.0, come on down!!!
1 TE (this assumes we’ll hire an OC who throws to the TE more than 2-3x a season)
(1 RB - bonus!)

2-3 DL
Maybe a LB?
Maybe a DB?

Grab a few more HS kids, and done.

That’s only 3 players weren’t there like 5-6 spots left on the roster we never filled and left open for the 2021 season? We used it but we didn’t “pound it”
Lack of success doesn’t necessarily mean lack of effort. We just don’t know.

Quoting SU's best coach by a landslide since P: "Don't mistake effort for execution."
Good quote. And certainly true. But the original poster asserted that HCDB didn’t even make the effort.

OP - this didn’t go how you hoped it would, huh?

We don’t need 15, or 12, or even 10 guys from the portal, just to add warm bodies.

And guys won’t come if they don’t see an opportunity for more PT, and/or at a higher level than they had prior.

Ideally we land maybe 6-9 (NIICE!) guys from the portal, all at positions of need.

Here’s my wish list:
1 QB
1-2 OL (ideally a C or T)
1-2 WR - AET2.0 & Trishton2.0, come on down!!!
1 TE (this assumes we’ll hire an OC who throws to the TE more than 2-3x a season)
(1 RB - bonus!)

2-3 DL
Maybe a LB?
Maybe a DB?

Grab a few more HS kids, and done.
Bonus RB unlocked!

I'm going to hope for the best from ~January 11 to ~August 30, watch with bated breath from August 30 to November 30, and spend December either stewing or excited for a bowl.

Whatever the college football landscape does concurrently is just window dressing.

Nobody enters the portal so they can end up as a "depth guy" somewhere else.

Kids want to start.
Do you really think the new mexico state running back who just transferred in thinks he is going to start?

Who says they are bad have you thought for a second maybe the first year of the portal with a mass exodus of players transferring due to the unique situation Covid brought coupled with coaches not yet on the portal wave so they have full high school recruiting classes with no more room in the inn is a perfect recipe for some players being overlooked or accepting positions on lower level teams. Some guys are due to be overlooked , what is going on here this is the Syracuse football board all we talk about are diamonds in the rough I did not expect such backlash for my original comment I thought that was the overall consensus on here.
The inability to find a home says they're not good enough, if not bad. Players aren't going tombe overlooked in the portal like they may be in high school.

I don't think the list is supposed to bother us. I think the OP's point is that a random collection of mostly unimpressive teams are having success getting quality players from the Portal and that SU certainly can compete in the Portal with teams such as those on that list. (I may be wrong, but that's what I take from it.)

You're absolutely right; there's tons of time. Pretty sure lots of things are in motion, not the least of which is filling coaching vacancies, and we need to be patient. (Patience, not the strong suit of forum fans.) I raise my glass to next August, Good Sir!
Dino likes to think things over and over and over:)
Actually i think we will do ok once he gets an oc named. Love the punter DB and RB. Good start.

I think the deck is stacked against us but I think any team in the ACC can become the next Clemson. Its better than being Vandy and in the SEC I guess.

Look at Wake I think they still have 2 more years of Newman. Pitt also might get better next year and could be that type of team ND should have hired Narduzzi.

But when you have to wait a week to announce an OC coordinator it kinda screams bridesmaid vs bride.

But when you have to wait a week to announce an OC coordinator it kinda screams bridesmaid vs bride.

hardly. we dont know whats going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom