We just freed up two scholarships... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We just freed up two scholarships...

What would happen if the NCAA gave players an additional year of eligibility

To all the people who were just bugging to get Carey and others off scholarship ...you got your wish. Now what?

Now we try and replace 3 guys that were unproductive with 3 guys that can contribute. We lost bodies and that is about it. I wish them well but we will be fine.

Can you just go to another forum where you belong? Do you ever say anything positive? As bad as Ballycuse on the 742 board

Do you post anything that isn't positive to the point that it's not even true?

G: Buddy (35mpg) Joe (32mpg) Kadary (13mpg)
F: Marek (33mpg) QG (30mpg) Braswell (12mpg) Newton (5mpg)
C: Sidibe (30mpg) Edwards/JBA (10mpg)

That’s if we add no one... that seems like a solid squad assuming steady improvements across the board

Solid squad if we were playing in the America East or Patriot League maybe, I don’t expect that roster will win more ACC games than this years did.

I think it’s bad that all these players are leaving.
It’s a bad job of identifying talent by the coaches for this roster.

Sorry I believe in the talent.
This is the way it is now, the landscape has changed. It’s not JB. Everyone wants to play 30 minutes or be THE guy. If they aren’t either they seem far more likely to move on. Look at HW... he always wanted to be Orange but figured out the reality and , sadly, moved on

Probably mentioned somewhere else, but Moyer is also on that list. If he can just find the right school...
I also noticed Blake Harris, who originally committed to Washington, then went to Mizzou instead, then transferred to NC State. Fourth time’s the charm?

Now we try and replace 3 guys that were unproductive with 3 guys that can contribute. We lost bodies and that is about it. I wish them well but we will be fine.
I'm not making this argument with you necessarily ...just bringing up a counter to this way of thinking ...since it seems to be the mentality of 80% of this board:

Who's to say we get 3 guys that can contribute? Who's to say we even get 3 more bodies (contributors or not)?

Why do we act like these guys that left wouldn't have developed? Carey probably would have gotten better. Goodine DEF would have gotten better. Yet we act like all these guys are disposable, and now we are in a tight spot.

I'm not making this argument with you necessarily ...just bringing up a counter to this way of thinking ...since it seems to be the mentality of 80% of this board:

Who's to say we get 3 guys that can contribute? Who's to say we even get 3 more bodies (contributors or not)?

Why do we act like these guys that left wouldn't have developed? Carey probably would have gotten better. Goodine DEF would have gotten better. Yet we act like all these guys are disposable, and now we are in a tight spot.

We don’t know if we will get three that contribute or even three bodies. That’s the goal but we likely won’t. We got three guys that haven’t contributed much that want to leave. Good luck to them. We should be no worst off.

If a player enters the transfer portal but does not transfer then what happens? Do they continue going to SU? Is their scholarship revoked when they announce intent to transfer?

If a player enters the transfer portal but does not transfer then what happens? Do they continue going to SU? Is their scholarship revoked when they announce intent to transfer?
Entering the portal means you have the ability to transfer, not that you have to. I believe you run the chance of having someone else take your scholarship, but it is not automatically revoked.

G: Buddy (35mpg) Joe (32mpg) Kadary (13mpg)
F: Marek (33mpg) QG (30mpg) Braswell (12mpg) Newton (5mpg)
C: Sidibe (30mpg) Edwards/JBA (10mpg)

That’s if we add no one... that seems like a solid squad assuming steady improvements across the board
That's playing 10 players which will never happen. 6 or 7 tops is JB's norm.

I haven't read the thread yet, but seeing the title immediately made me think of the Alec Baldwin diatribe in Glengarry Glen Ross... "These are the Glengarry leads, and to you theyre gold...but you don't get them, because giving them to you would be throwing them away".

Despite what I think or feel about anyone or anything with the team, that was the immediate reaction I got before all of the logical nonsense I will later write. Anyone else have a similar reaction?

I heard they end up in a wormhole :confused:

i dont think the euro guys are nearly as likely to transfer so you get them for 4 years...

I wonder if Edwards and Dolezaj even got out of the country before last Friday.
If they didn’t where are they staying here?

Is this supposed to ruffle feathers? You'd be insane NOT to want that - an improved Goodine playing over Buddy, sign me up!

Scoring points does not make up for every other deficiency Buddy brings to the table.

He does not dribble well. He's kinda sorta really slow. He doesn't rebound (and lots of our guards haven't...but they could, and they could get to loose balls). He can't create off the bounce. He does not turn the other team over. He struggles mightily with decent pressure defense.

He can back a guy down, and shoot a fade-away like a PF. He can recognize mismatches (like if McMahon is guarding him) and get to the rim. And, he can shoot threes at a respectable clip.

Not exactly the ideal shooting guard - especially when the kid is painfully inept defensively.

We don't have a "true" PG, we're losing Hughes, and we have a shooting guard that does very few things well. Shooting guards with a diverse skill set are important in basketball...a bit less so when you have a SF like Eli, a bit moreso when Hughes is gone (if we don't have an equivalent replacement). Unless you think Girard is going to morph into Jonny Flynn...

You'd have to literally be insane to say that's not what you truly want. Unless you truly think Buddy is going to somehow become athletic. Which is sorta like someone thinking Bryant 'Big Country' Reeves was just some good conditioning drills away from being a Shaq type athlete. Kid is slow afoot and not a very fluid athlete. No cure for that.

If there was a cure, Ryan McMahon, with that work ethic, would be running circles around kids after four years...yet he still ain't doing that.
You've pointed out Buddy's warts (maybe to excess). No mention of Goodine's shortcomings.

You've pointed out Buddy's warts (maybe to excess). No mention of Goodine's shortcomings.

His shortcomings seem relatively obvious and people aren't really pretending they don't exist - so, there isn't much to argue in that regard. Notably, I don't think many people are arguing for Goodine to play big minutes off the scant evidence we have, just that he showed enough to get more, and that BB may even benefit from some rest:
  • We lose a bit on spacing as Goodine never proved a threat from three (most overrated offensive skill ever though as the "unguarded guard" is rarely actually witnessed to the extent people pretend it is)
  • We lose the shooting (but the last third of the season.....likely a wash since they were both >30% - or thereabouts - shooters from three)
  • We get Buddy some rest (perhaps the shooting becomes less of a wash if that's the case)
  • Defense gets way better with BG, we get more loose balls, etc...
  • We lose Buddy's mid-range game, but that's often dependent upon a slow defender on the court that can't guard. I assume JB could easily recognize this and sub in Buddy to take advantage when the situation arises...if that's what he deems to be the correct move
  • We're forced to rely more on motion in the offense...but we have Eli, who doesn't necessarily need to rely on spacing to get things done as evidenced over and over again when we did use HoWa or Goodine...against certain teams Marek also showed he can initiate at the top...so we're not put into dire straits regardless of how it goes...plus, he's not playing PG...so, JGIII
  • We may see efficiency go down as Goodine will likely be far more prone to turnovers than Buddy
Likely many more factors to consider, but his shortcomings would mimic those of most Freshman, taking some time to get acclimated to coming off the bench, loose handle in traffic, turnovers, so-so shooting early on, etc....

It's harder to assess though, as we never really saw him play in any sort of consistent fashion, and often at the end was sent on the court with HoWa.

Last edited:

If they enter the portal and nobody takes them they could theoretically have their scholly renewed IF it's not given to someone else before the annual renewal. Realistically the kids and the program have decided to move on from each other and the schollies will be given to others assuming we can fill the slots.

This is musical chairs. You could be the kid who winds up without a chair when the music stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom