We learned something tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We learned something tonight

The shooting I will give you. Getting beat on the boards by 12 is effort.

44cuse
Effort and victimized by defending an offensive system that is crisp in the halfcourt.

Full court pressure was obviously the key.

Taking advantage of our superior athleticism
Yes. Suddenly, if someone learns how to shoot consistent 3's, I think it would be a great advantage to our offense.
Maybe Red should hold 'em after practice and have Gerry coach 'em on shooting 3's for an hour the way he used to in Scranton. But I think it would take longer if your shooting 300 the way Gerry used to every day.

This win should be a huge boost to the confidence of the team. Very gutsy to put a veteran team who beat us the last two years this early in the schedule. Also one of the better mid major programs in the country. Not to mention the big tournament we have next week.
For some reason I don’t think this team’s issue is a lack of confidence. I may very well be wrong. I think they are just starting to realize how hard they have to work, how smart they have to play to win games against competitive teams. I sure hope they are now realizing they have to play hard, defend, rebound, take good shots from the very start of every game right till the end. The press isn’t going to save them after getting down big to better teams - they have to play hard with energy, play smart right from tipoff or they will be embarrassed.

For some reason I don’t think this team’s issue is a lack of confidence. I may very well be wrong. I think they are just starting to realize how hard they have to work, how smart they have to play to win games against competitive teams. I sure hope they are now realizing they have to play hard, defend, rebound, take good shots from the very start of every game right till the end. The press isn’t going to save them after getting down big to better teams - they have to play hard with energy, play smart right from tipoff or they will be embarrassed.
Red said as much in the presser.

They might be too confident. Need the effort to match the confidence

Bell won us the game tonight but I cannot remember a forward with his rebounding numbers

At this point calling him a forward seems kind of backwards... that said good to see him on tonight.

Dead on Cherie, I agree with every observation. This team needs to learn to play much harder and tougher. I'd like to see Red press the entire game to drive that point home. The effort on the boards is a major issue. We really miss Jesse here most.

Young team and 1st time HC coach, so growing pains are to be expected. A great win tonight because they had to fight. It doesn't matter that it was against Colgate.

Spot on. You have a pretty strong collection of personalities on this team to go with. That second half showed they can play that way and they have to get after it every game. I felt like maybe finally he's got their attention a little more around that issue.

Red said as much in the presser.

They might be too confident. Need the effort to match the confidence
Thank you, I will have to listen to his presser. Glad he addressed it, hopefully they are learning how hard they have to work to win. The effort has to always be there and they need to depend on each other.

If nothing else, they should have learned tonight how much harder they need to play. They think they’re playing hard and they aren’t. Our corner shooters have to get to the offensive rebounds. Brown is not going to rebound at the five position. His whole game at the four is cutting and moving to open spots to rebound. He can’t see that when he’s banging with bigger guys.

Absolutely was an effort issue. Students booed them, probably right near the 24 pt lead mark. I didn't agree with it and hope it doesn't become habitual but it may have been the turning point. I'm not sure anyone tried to get a rebound the first half. Effort paid immediate dividends and hopefully that lesson was learned.

We learned that it is harder for Colgate to get wide open threes if we aren’t playing 40 minutes of zone.
When they were shooting 50% from deep in the first half, a lot of that was against m2m.

If nothing else, they should have learned tonight how much harder they need to play. They think they’re playing hard and they aren’t. Our corner shooters have to get to the offensive rebounds. Brown is not going to rebound at the five position. His whole game at the four is cutting and moving to open spots to rebound. He can’t see that when he’s banging with bigger guys.
Maybe they should run a 10k before every practice? :rolleyes:

I did a 6.25 mile run this morning! For a 1974 SU grad I thought I did well! Last night was something. Hopefully this year we start our way back into a consistent top 25 team.
What was your time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom