We won. That is all that matters right now | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

We won. That is all that matters right now

I do not think “we” went iso ball, I’m pretty sure “Judah” went iso ball.

Red was visibly pissed about Judah’s decision making a couple of times in the second half.

Yeah it is mostly Judah and it’s perplexing because it’s unnecessary and does him no favors in terms of his stock.

It isn't by coincidence that our defense was much better in the first half and it was because of the offense. On offense, the ball moved and players moved everyone felt a part of the game which in turn inspires your defensive effort. I thought that when we went ISO in the second half or Judah went ISO in the second half that had a direct impact on the defensive effort by the team. Rotations were late nobody really crashed the boards etc. When players touch the ball on one end they tend to give more effort on the other end.

With the way Taylor played in the first half really surprised he didnt get more run in the second especially because nobody was making any kind of effort on the defensive side.

This a thousand times. We were moving, we were getting layups. ND had no idea what to do. Then we went to iso ball in the second half. It is SOOOOOO easy to guard. How can our guys not watch the video of the game on Monday and not see it????
I am confused, because watching the game we score 49 in the first and 40 in the 2nd with at least 5-6 missed layups and several late FTs.. ND didnt allow anyone to score 73 in for ever yet offense was our issue.

It isn't by coincidence that our defense was much better in the first half and it was because of the offense. On offense, the ball moved and players moved everyone felt a part of the game which in turn inspires your defensive effort. I thought that when we went ISO in the second half or Judah went ISO in the second half that had a direct impact on the defensive effort by the team. Rotations were late nobody really crashed the boards etc. When players touch the ball on one end they tend to give more effort on the other end.

With the way Taylor played in the first half really surprised he didnt get more run in the second especially because nobody was making any kind of effort on the defensive side.
If Judah can buy into, playing without iso ball, he needs to be back next year.
He has talent and if used right, he can play in the NBA.
Judah, JJ, Brown, Coleman, Bell, Westry, Cuffe, Carey, Freeman, Moore are a nice start for next year.

I am confused, because watching the game we score 49 in the first and 40 in the 2nd with at least 5-6 missed layups and several late FTs.. ND didnt allow anyone to score 73 in for ever yet offense was our issue.
I don't understand your confusion. Please, expound on that.

I don't understand your confusion. Please, expound on that.
We are complaining about the lack of offense in a half where we scored 40 pts . the D basically couldn't stop the 1 play over and over but also the best shooter got hot from 3. If he just avg good from 3 like 3-8 in the half the lead never gets under 10. if we just make layups the lead never gets under 10..

The good thing is once it did get cut he had a bunch of good posessions.

If someone’s “All American” sport wasn’t BB then it doesn’t mean they know more about BB than those of us whose sport WAS BB
What? You mean when I was an All-American tequila shot champion that didn't make me know more? My 21 year old self would disagree.

We are complaining about the lack of offense in a half where we scored 40 pts . the D basically couldn't stop the 1 play over and over but also the best shooter got hot from 3. If he just avg good from 3 like 3-8 in the half the lead never gets under 10. if we just make layups the lead never gets under 10..

The good thing is once it did get cut he had a bunch of good posessions.
I'm not complaining about the offense in the second half, only that the offense in the first 15 minutes in the first half will be important going forward. I was not impressed by ND's defense. They are physical, but not altogether great on defense.

Next year I will have greater expectations, and I think his boss will too.
IMG_2377.jpeg

Wait! Who’s the Boss??

I need to rewatch. I thought the nerves crept in on everyone when the ND runs started.

I think a big part of the problem was that we knew they could not stop us offensively. There were those couple possessions that we got into a track meet with them and a lot of points but we didn’t get any separation. It’s a weakness we can hopefully correct in the offseason but right now we’re just too short on bodies.

We can say our defense slacked, that Autry could’ve tweaked a few things and also that their 2 guards had the best shooting nights of their career. All can be true. Wins arent easy in the ACC this isn’t the Big12.

I really don’t see us losing any of those players you mentioned

I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't lose at least one of the three besides JJ (he's not leaving).

I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't lose at least one of the three besides JJ (he's not leaving).
They are all starting basically…why leave if you are basically a starter. If any of them leave it would probably be Bell based off the comments made last week by an NBA player

What I want to see is if we lose kids we don't want to lose in the portal. That is key to me. If we lose up to 3 players to the portal, guys we don't want to lose, that won't reflect well on Red. My back ground is the brokerage business. Whenever a broker left a firm, and we are talking big money, life changing money, we always said that it was really because they hated the manager. This off season, both who we get and who if anyone, we lose, will be very telling.
I thought these kids really liked Red and that’s why they all stayed this season. He seems a lot like Coach Jack in that regard.

So when they win it’s not good enough. If they win and they don’t win by enough, it’s not good enough. When they get a big lead and a team comes back, everything is wrong. It never ends. So clear how many of you have never played meaningful sports in your lives
I’m all about wins but letting a lead go from 29 to 3 is BAD. That isn’t an opinion. The fact it’s being even debated is absolutely stunning to me.

So, weird question, but how much would a double bye help us?

If we're trying to make the NCAA tourney and believe there's a path without winning the conference tourney, wouldn't the single bye put us in the sweet spot where we have a decent chance to stack up additional neutral court wins against semi-decent opponents?
If we end up the 5/6/7 seed, we're going to start with a Q2 or Q3 (or maybe even Q4) game against a team that's not going to be a "resume" win. In a lot of those matchups we probably need a healthy margin of victory to keep our NET ranking from dropping.

If we're the 4-seed, we get the winner of the 5-seed vs. 12/13. Assuming it's the 5-seed, that's a Q1 game. So we get a Q1 game that's not against UNC/Duke/Virginia. That's a really good opportunity to boost our metrics and get a strong neutral floor win. Then if we win, it's most likely Q1 games from there unless there are a lot of upsets.

I don't think our chances are substantially better going 2-1 with, say, a Q3 win, Q1 win, Q1 loss than just 1-1 with Q1 games. So I'd rather just get the double bye, get the most favorable Q1 win possible, and avoid UNC/Duke/Virginia as long as possible.

Run the same offense as the first half. If you watch the game the first half offensive sets were completely different than the second half. First half we had tremendous player and ball movement and the Second half we went to 2 our stupid ISO offense or two guards high with Brown and our other two players standing the corner.

Our defense will come and go because we have multiple people on the court who are just terrible at it. but our offensive philosophy really changed at halftime and I don't understand why.

I wasn't able to watch much of the game today, I was working. But after the NC State game, if I recall correctly, Red made a comment in the presser about slowing down the pace because of the big lead. It made me wonder if iso ball was his call, with the thinking being that if they took 20+ seconds most possessions, they'd be almost impossible to catch. Did they do that today?

He also made a comment about telling the players at halftime that NC State would make a run and cut down the lead.

That combination of comments concerned me. First, I hate messaging to the players that says the other team WILL accomplish something against them. I'd much prefer something like, "NC State isn't going to go down without a fight, expect them to try to go on a run, it's your job to weather that, match their intensity, and close this out - and don't panic if they get a few buckets."

Sending the "This game will get closer," message while trying to coast on offense to waste time all but guarantees margins will shrink. Which isn't my preferred method even if not for NET ranking, but when margins matter, you can't do that.

Might also be that he doesn't trust this team to make the types of decisions in the moment that they need to make on what's a good enough shot to take early in the shot clock as opposed to running it down and milking clock. Ideally you run your normal offense, but a bit more selective.

Any idea what our NIL situation is like for Basketball? Seems to be mixed opinions on here.

It's in a pretty good shape but remember there's a good chunk for the 2 frosh coming in and for our own portal guys we will be pursuing plus I believe Malik will be a priority. Much like with Jessie if a bidding war breaks out for Bell or Mintz SUs not gonna be able to just match indefinitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom