We won. That is all that matters right now | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

We won. That is all that matters right now

You know, if we had 1 or two upperclassmen with 50+ more games under their belt a lot of this Jekyl and Hyde stuff might not continue to surface.

JB, I believe, said it on the broadcast - they're still a bunch of sophomores with relatively limited experience. These guys and Red are all still learning how to win.

Last edited:
I remember about 15 years ago when Pitino was down 33 points with under 12 minutes left and he won the game.

That’s what people were saying when we were squeaking by for several games during the 25-0 run and there were definitely some clear issues under the surface then we lost in the 2nd round making one shot outside the paint.

Anyway those were the days. A decade ago.

Not applicable comparison. That Ennis team was a mediocre team that was over-performing and looked good but in reality wasn't that good, and people were warning that the team wasn't as good as the record (and that warning was 100% accurate). This current team is a team striving to be decent enough to sneak into NCAAs. In the current situation, winning wherever we can is a bonus. For the Ennis team, barely winning was a warning that the team wasn't going to do anything of merit in the NCAAs (true).

Not applicable comparison. That Ennis team was a mediocre team that was over-performing and looked good but in reality wasn't that good, and people were warning that the team wasn't as good as the record (and that warning was 100% accurate). This current team is a team striving to be decent enough to sneak into NCAAs. In the current situation, winning wherever we can is a bonus. For the Ennis team, barely winning was a warning that the team wasn't going to do anything of merit in the NCAAs (true).
Very different. My point is “a win is a win” is a cop out from actually analyzing what happened.

If we end up the 5/6/7 seed, we're going to start with a Q2 or Q3 (or maybe even Q4) game against a team that's not going to be a "resume" win. In a lot of those matchups we probably need a healthy margin of victory to keep our NET ranking from dropping.

If we're the 4-seed, we get the winner of the 5-seed vs. 12/13. Assuming it's the 5-seed, that's a Q1 game. So we get a Q1 game that's not against UNC/Duke/Virginia. That's a really good opportunity to boost our metrics and get a strong neutral floor win. Then if we win, it's most likely Q1 games from there unless there are a lot of upsets.

I don't think our chances are substantially better going 2-1 with, say, a Q3 win, Q1 win, Q1 loss than just 1-1 with Q1 games. So I'd rather just get the double bye, get the most favorable Q1 win possible, and avoid UNC/Duke/Virginia as long as possible.

I wasn't able to watch much of the game today, I was working. But after the NC State game, if I recall correctly, Red made a comment in the presser about slowing down the pace because of the big lead. It made me wonder if iso ball was his call, with the thinking being that if they took 20+ seconds most possessions, they'd be almost impossible to catch. Did they do that today?

He also made a comment about telling the players at halftime that NC State would make a run and cut down the lead.

That combination of comments concerned me. First, I hate messaging to the players that says the other team WILL accomplish something against them. I'd much prefer something like, "NC State isn't going to go down without a fight, expect them to try to go on a run, it's your job to weather that, match their intensity, and close this out - and don't panic if they get a few buckets."

Sending the "This game will get closer," message while trying to coast on offense to waste time all but guarantees margins will shrink. Which isn't my preferred method even if not for NET ranking, but when margins matter, you can't do that.

Might also be that he doesn't trust this team to make the types of decisions in the moment that they need to make on what's a good enough shot to take early in the shot clock as opposed to running it down and milking clock. Ideally you run your normal offense, but a bit more selective.
Your Quads for the ACCT are messed up I think. Neutral court means Q1 1-50 and Q2 51-100 There’s only 3 acc teams over 100 net.

Double bye ship sailed with Wakes win over Duke earlier. We’re looking for a 5-7 seed best case which if it stood now would be a rematch with BC, Miami or va tech and would be Q2’s. Could be upsets and we could see ga tech again tho then who knows.

Would need 2 ACCT wins regardless of what happens I think. If that happens it would mean we’ve figured out how to play a complete game of offense and defense and we’ll prob be thinking we might be able to just win the ACCT anyway.

That’s what people were saying when we were squeaking by for several games during the 25-0 run and there were definitely some clear issues under the surface then we lost in the 2nd round making one shot outside the paint.

Anyway those were the days. A decade ago.
I hate that our own fans STILL slag off that 25-0 start like it was undeserved. Calling them “mediocre” is moronic. The 2013-14 team might not have been the best in Cuse history but they were very good and their shortcomings are overstated. That was such a fun and historic season. Why disparage their accomplishments? Sure we got lucky a couple of times but that’s often how these things work. They lost a couple of games late in the season that they shouldn’t have because Grant was battling an injury. Dayton was a very good physical defensive team that liked to slow things down and play in the mud and we had a horrid shooting game at an inopportune time. Still only lost by 1. That Cuse team is easily an Elite Eight or Final Four team if we just make a couple of plays at the end of the Dayton game.

That was 1996, so 28 years ago.
We had a 24 point comeback win against Colgate this season. It seems we’re seeing huge swings and comebacks happening more lately. Iowa was losing to Michigan St 91- 78 last year with 1:34 left in the game and scored 23 points in the last 90 seconds to tie it at 101-101 and then win it in OT 112-106. Penn St this season overcame an 18 point 2nd half deficit to beat Ohio St 83-80. Kansas was losing to UNC by 15 at halftime before coming back and winning the NCAA’s in 2022. It’s been interesting watching so many crazy games with huge swings.

i think with the increasing reliance on 3 point shooters who can be streaky good or streaky bad has made games more volatile and swings way up or down, much more possible.

I remember about 15 years ago when Pitino was down 33 points with under 12 minutes left and he won the game.
if that was lsu kentucky it was a lot longer ago than that.

if that was lsu kentucky it was a lot longer ago than that.
Yeah, that team had Mashburn and Travis Ford. I was in HS, so had to be early ‘90s.

I hate that our own fans STILL slag off that 25-0 start like it was undeserved. Calling them “mediocre” is moronic. The 2013-14 team might not have been the best in Cuse history but they were very good and their shortcomings are overstated. That was such a fun and historic season. Why disparage their accomplishments? Sure we got lucky a couple of times but that’s often how these things work. They lost a couple of games late in the season that they shouldn’t have because Grant was battling an injury. Dayton was a very good physical defensive team that liked to slow things down and play in the mud and we had a horrid shooting game at an inopportune time. Still only lost by 1. That Cuse team is easily an Elite Eight or Final Four team if we just make a couple of plays at the end of the Dayton game.
That 2013-2014 team was a unique team for us. It was a stellar defensive team and a mediocre offensive team. SU was rated Top 20 nationally in a number of defensive stats - fewest turnovers/gm (#5), scoring defense (#8), steals/gm (#18), personal fouls/gm (#13) and Top 40 in strength of schedule (#26), off. rebounds (#30), scoring margin (#35), asst/to (#37), blocked shots(#39). We held teams to only 59 points/gm while scoring an average of 68 points. If you were looking for a dynamic offense, that wasn’t our year but if you appreciate great defense, we excelled. You’re correct about the Dayton game, we were bad that game scoring 15 points below our average. Jerami fouled out and was pretty much a non factor, we were horrible from 3 (0-10). Our average scoring margin per game for the season was 9 points, being ranked so well nationally doesn’t point to a mediocre team. Against Dayton, we definitely did well enough defensively to win but our mediocre offense, really bottomed out that game - amazing that the game was that close with SU only scoring 53 points.

It's in a pretty good shape but remember there's a good chunk for the 2 frosh coming in and for our own portal guys we will be pursuing plus I believe Malik will be a priority. Much like with Jessie if a bidding war breaks out for Bell or Mintz SUs not gonna be able to just match indefinitely.
I’d let Judah walk before the others, personally.

Clearly you haven’t……..because anyone who has would be upset by that near absolute collapse.

A win is important, but when you’re building towards a goal sometimes how you get that win is just as important.
Getting “upset” about sports is a little childish, don’t you think?

Absolutely, everyone's view is valuable. But, it doesn't have to be presented as an argument against eachother. We all want Syracuse to succeed. It was certainly a frustrating game to watch, but there is so much to learn from this game for the players.
Syracuse did succeed, yet the complaints to compliments ratio is at least 20:1.
It seems that some folks on here only post to complain.
In fact, we are such a bitchy fan base that this board has created a non-playing category to complain about when all else fails: on the bench body language.

What I want to see is if we lose kids we don't want to lose in the portal. That is key to me. If we lose up to 3 players to the portal, guys we don't want to lose, that won't reflect well on Red. My back ground is the brokerage business. Whenever a broker left a firm, and we are talking big money, life changing money, we always said that it was really because they hated the manager. This off season, both who we get and who if anyone, we lose, will be very telling.
It might be the money, not the coach.

It's in a pretty good shape but remember there's a good chunk for the 2 frosh coming in and for our own portal guys we will be pursuing plus I believe Malik will be a priority. Much like with Jessie if a bidding war breaks out for Bell or Mintz SUs not gonna be able to just match indefinitely.

Love Brown but a bidding war for an undersized 4 who cannot get off his own shot?

Unless Brown will feel layered by Freeman which is possible.

Love Brown but a bidding war for an undersized 4 who cannot get off his own shot?

I sort of agree. His value in the portal would be interesting. I think he is more valuable to us because we lack players. Great defender, but limited offensively and average rebounder. Excellent passer. Impacts games without needing the ball. Not a plus athlete or rim deterrent. I love his game, but his skills arent sexy, and quite frankly easier to find.

Yeah, the missed layups recently have shown that he struggles with physical forwards and he hasn’t differentiated himself on the boards.

Unfortunately, in the era of NET, winning isn't the only thing that matters. Sportsmanship is one of the first victims when the ratings put so much weight into margin of victory. The team should be forced to watch Kentucky's thrashing of Alabama yesterday.

If we end up the 5/6/7 seed, we're going to start with a Q2 or Q3 (or maybe even Q4) game against a team that's not going to be a "resume" win. In a lot of those matchups we probably need a healthy margin of victory to keep our NET ranking from dropping.

If we're the 4-seed, we get the winner of the 5-seed vs. 12/13. Assuming it's the 5-seed, that's a Q1 game. So we get a Q1 game that's not against UNC/Duke/Virginia. That's a really good opportunity to boost our metrics and get a strong neutral floor win. Then if we win, it's most likely Q1 games from there unless there are a lot of upsets.

I don't think our chances are substantially better going 2-1 with, say, a Q3 win, Q1 win, Q1 loss than just 1-1 with Q1 games. So I'd rather just get the double bye, get the most favorable Q1 win possible, and avoid UNC/Duke/Virginia as long as possible.

I wasn't able to watch much of the game today, I was working. But after the NC State game, if I recall correctly, Red made a comment in the presser about slowing down the pace because of the big lead. It made me wonder if iso ball was his call, with the thinking being that if they took 20+ seconds most possessions, they'd be almost impossible to catch. Did they do that today?

He also made a comment about telling the players at halftime that NC State would make a run and cut down the lead.

That combination of comments concerned me. First, I hate messaging to the players that says the other team WILL accomplish something against them. I'd much prefer something like, "NC State isn't going to go down without a fight, expect them to try to go on a run, it's your job to weather that, match their intensity, and close this out - and don't panic if they get a few buckets."

Sending the "This game will get closer," message while trying to coast on offense to waste time all but guarantees margins will shrink. Which isn't my preferred method even if not for NET ranking, but when margins matter, you can't do that.

Might also be that he doesn't trust this team to make the types of decisions in the moment that they need to make on what's a good enough shot to take early in the shot clock as opposed to running it down and milking clock. Ideally you run your normal offense, but a bit more selective.
This is a hell of a post. Cheers

Haven't seen anybody say it yet but the way I see it, Notre Dame deserves more credit for the comeback than Syracuse deserves blame.

I've been more critical of Syracuse's D than most, but the biggest difference between the first half and second half was Notre Dame going 2-6 from three in the first half (including that banked in monstrosity before halftime) and 10-15 from three in the second half. I actually think Syracuse's 3 point D might have been tighter in the second half. Most of those shots came with a hand in the face. The ones that didn't were almost always the result of great decision making by the Notre Dame point guard. He was the quickest guy on the court, nobody could stay in front of him, and when we doubled he made the right pass. Hard to defend that, when it's combined with 70% shooting by the people he's passing to.

Notre Dame's original strategy was to beat us down low, they didn't shoot much from 3. We defended that great, which is not something we've done since McLeod got hurt.

Some really quick math shows we gave up 71.5 ppg in the 14 games we played with McLeod, and gave up 78.5 in the 14 games since he's been gone. That's a really big difference and I don't think McLeod being hurt is responsible for all of it, but I do think people underestimate the 3 blocks per game he was getting. That's 6 points every game we are currently giving up.

To me that shows progress despite Notre Dame going crazy from 3. D still has a long way to go, but I'll take it, especially when we put together a masterful offensive performance. No ACC team scored more than 72 against Notre Dame all year long and we hung 88 on them. I think I like us best when Copeland and Brown do the passing and Mintz and Starling do the scoring, which is what happened in this one. Hope to see it become an identity. 10 assists for Brown/Copeland and 30 points for Mintz/Starling might be a benchmark worth looking out for.

Unfortunately, in the era of NET, winning isn't the only thing that matters. Sportsmanship is one of the first victims when the ratings put so much weight into margin of victory. The team should be forced to watch Kentucky's thrashing of Alabama yesterday.
Correct! We win by 3 at home and move up 1 spot. Pitt wins at home by 15 over VT and move up 11 spots!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom