We need another National Title | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We need another National Title

I think you guys are totally wrong. Malachi (for sure), Roberson, and many others were all wanted by Nova.
Maybe Nova was just not one of the finalists for those guys. I mean, most everybody wants most of the top ten guys every year, and offers them. But a program is not a serious contender for a prospect unless they are one of the last 3-4-5 standing.

he seems to recruit tough-minded players that need to stay 3-4 years. given that no one else is kentucky, recruiting the malachis of the world that cant resist a whiff of the nba no matter how faint it might be doesn't seem prudent. we're not getting the one-and-dones that are actually good, we are getting the lower batch that parlay a few wins at syracuse into a first round selection ala ennis. and for the love of god, don't anyone post something about 25-0.

You can't win without talent. So, you accept the risk they might leave early when you choose to run a winning program. I don't like it either, but whaddaya gonna do? :noidea:

I think its the toughest title to win in all of sports, but since We won in 03 I have seen Uconn win 3, Duke win a couple, and nova tonight, its time to get our 2nd.
Look, really hard to complain about making a totally unexpected Final Four this year. But our last 2 Final Fours have been from getting hot and making runs. The two times we actually had teams that could win it in 2010 and 2012 we don't make it. So yeah nice we got those 2 but really would have been better if we could have went with a decent shot to get our second title. O

You can't win without talent. So, you accept the risk they might leave early when you choose to run a winning program. I don't like it either, but whaddaya gonna do? :noidea:

Its just frustrating when guys leave who shouldn't be leaving.

I think its the toughest title to win in all of sports, but since We won in 03 I have seen Uconn win 3, Duke win a couple, and nova tonight, its time to get our 2nd.

Stanley Cup. Four best of seven series'. I mean I love March Madness, but there's nothing else like the cup.

It wasn't real bad for Syracuse. That is crazy. We rarely recruit the same players.
But they may now. I know they wanted Roberson. I hope you are right

But they may now. I know they wanted Roberson. I hope you are right

We are still going to get players, Nova has a title, but its not like we are chopped liver, we did go to the Final Four.

Look, really hard to complain about making a totally unexpected Final Four this year. But our last 2 Final Fours have been from getting hot and making runs. The two times we actually had teams that could win it in 2010 and 2012 we don't make it. So yeah nice we got those 2 but really would have been better if we could have went with a decent shot to get our second title. O
The 2013 and 2016 teams actually were good enough to run the table, despite what you might believe.

I don't think you understand just how difficult it is to win one of these things. But hey, you're not alone.

Statistically, the same 10-15 coaches keep showing up again and again. Jay is in the club now.

I think over the past 4 years, our recruiting has shifted southward (with some exceptions) due to the ACC membership. We seem to be concentrating more on Philly/Balt/DC. So there is some overlap with Villanova's recruiting area.

I think this is the absolute opposite of what we have seen. Our recruiting has moved north. The past: Melo, Greene, Scoop, Rick, Dion, CJ. The present: MCW, Coleman, Mali, Roberson, Battle, Lydon, McCullough, Ennis.

G was a transfer so a different sort of ball game. Cooney may be our most southern player right now being from Delaware.

orangehomer said:
he seems to recruit tough-minded players that need to stay 3-4 years. given that no one else is kentucky, recruiting the malachis of the world that cant resist a whiff of the nba no matter how faint it might be doesn't seem prudent. we're not getting the one-and-dones that are actually good, we are getting the lower batch that parlay a few wins at syracuse into a first round selection ala ennis. and for the love of god, don't anyone post something about 25-0.

If they go in the first two rounds, they were worth recruiting and having on your team. The. End.

Maybe Nova was just not one of the finalists for those guys. I mean, most everybody wants most of the top ten guys every year, and offers them. But a program is not a serious contender for a prospect unless they are one of the last 3-4-5 standing.
Looks like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and a couple others will have down years in recruiting now. :rolleyes:

Already sick of everybody waxing poetic for Villanova.

I could've handled UNC. Listening to everyone fawn over Nova makes me want to vomit.

FYI, Kansas, Duke and Kentucky will never lose a recruiting battle to Nova. We could, and that shot is going to be legendary for them and is the iconic CBB moment of every kid we recruit for the next 10 years.

I could've handled UNC. Listening to everyone fawn over Nova makes me want to vomit.

FYI, Kansas, Duke and Kentucky will never lose a recruiting battle to Nova. We could, and that shot is going to be legendary for them and is the iconic CBB moment of every kid we recruit for the next 10 years.

People here love Nova. I've never heard a Villanova fan say anything positive about Syracuse and they think JB is a scumbag. Villanova winning was terrible for us. A "friend" texted me last night after his team won the national championship: "f*** the ACC who's a mid major now?" Your team just wins a spectacular national championship and your first reaction is to tell me "f the ACC"? They're the second most angry/violent/aggressive fan base I've dealt with after UConn.

People here love Nova. I've never heard a Villanova fan say anything positive about Syracuse and they think JB is a scumbag. Villanova winning was terrible for us. A "friend" texted me last night after his team won the national championship: "f*** the ACC who's a mid major now?" Your team just wins a spectacular national championship and your first reaction is to tell me "f the ACC"? They're the second most angry/violent/aggressive fan base I've dealt with after UConn.

In Houston, the only negative thing I heard about Syracuse [other than polite banter] was from two extremely drunk Villanova female fans, who approached us outside NRG Stadium to say, "F*uck Syracuse," and hoist their middle fingers as they walked by on Saturday.

We really do need to win another win. It isn't easy getting to the final four--takes some luck, matchups are key, etc. And once you get there, you need to capitalize when you can.

We had really, really, really good teams in 2010 and 2012, and only have an elite eight to show for it. We got to the F4 in 2013 and this year, but couldn't advance. Remains to be seen whether JB's rapidly evaporating time on the Hill will produce another run. Was hoping that this was going to be the year.

This is precisely why a blocked a handful of people on my phone prior to the game. I may unblock them in June or July. Maybe.
. . . two extremely drunk Villanova female fans, who approached us outside NRG Stadium to say, "F*uck Syracuse," and hoist their middle fingers as they walked by on Saturday.
Maybe it's a thing with them. Had the same thing happen outside the Wells Fargo Center several years ago after a Nova win (!). We had a 10 year old and an 8 year old with us too. Ridiculously awful fans. I don't dare leave the house for at least the rest of the week.

Even though we recruit the same geographic location, I'm not worried very much about losing kids to Villanova for 3 reasons.

#1. Jay Wright made a conscious decision about 5 years ago to stop going after the top rated kids (who he had a decent shot of getting), and instead go after the players he really liked who he knew would be hungry and play "the Villanova way". That's why he took Hart, Archie, Ennis, etc. when he could have taken other kids. We generally recruit higher rated kids than he goes after.

#2. The type of player we go after is different. He seems to go after a lot of shorter guards with elite ball-handling and good shooting. It also seems that a lot of his forwards have been wide-body types. We obviously look for taller /longer guards and forwards.

#3. They're still in the Big East and their national brand just doesn't match ours. Sure, this will help them in Philly, and maybe Baltimore, but we recruit the whole eastern seaboard north of Virginia.

tl;dr we're just not going to clash over that many recruits, and when we do, we've still generally got an edge.

The chasm between a FF and title is Grand Canyon wide. But maybe thats just me.
I somewhat agree. The way Villanova won, it's tough. Trust me, I'm with you. We need another title soon. No doubt. Hurts that we could have upwards of 3, but are stuck at one.

I think this is the absolute opposite of what we have seen. Our recruiting has moved north. The past: Melo, Greene, Scoop, Rick, Dion, CJ. The present: MCW, Coleman, Mali, Roberson, Battle, Lydon, McCullough, Ennis.

G was a transfer so a different sort of ball game. Cooney may be our most southern player right now being from Delaware.
Howard is from Virginia

all this talk Jay will win another one is comical. I don't think people realize how hard it actually is to win a title. Jay may never get back to one.
exactly. Guy has been a coaching for 20+ years and has made one final. He had a great team this year, and they capitalized. Far from a guarantee he will win more. Solid coach, but there are a lot of great coaches, and he still coaches at a school with less resources that the p5's. Besides that HS like gym, they don't even have a real home court. He will probably always be top 3 in the BE though, so getting into the tourney will happen yearly for them, no question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom