We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes

Carey can't help. I doubt he will be helpful in the future as he isn't an ACC caliber player. Great kid and hope he can transfer to a better fit rather than play out his years here on the bench. Hopefully we are keeping an eye on Estrella who isn't getting much PT at Tennessee. He could start at center for us or split time with McLeod.
Yes, 100% on JP Estrella. I've been tracking him this year for that reason. He's a good transfer candidate. He'd help space the floor and he wouldn't break the bank. He and Maliq could hold down the 5, and by the time they both improve next year you could probably play them together with Maliq at the 4.

Carey can't help. I doubt he will be helpful in the future as he isn't an ACC caliber player. Great kid and hope he can transfer to a better fit rather than play out his years here on the bench. Hopefully we are keeping an eye on Estrella who isn't getting much PT at Tennessee. He could start at center for us or split time with McLeod.
About 3 or 4 years ago, someone on the board, who contended he had sources, was saying the same thing about Edwards. He went so far as to say the SU coaches were helping him arrange a transfer.

About 3 or 4 years ago, someone on the board, who contended he had sources, was saying the same thing about Edwards. He went so far as to say the SU coaches were helping him arrange a transfer.
Yeah it’s like, let us see what the guy can do in the game with double digit minutes before making a judgement one way or another. He seems like a good teammate and very engaged on the sideline during games. So let’s not write him off when we have a limited sample size on what he can do.

Still early to determine whether Carey is an acc caliber player or not
Eh, he's in his sophomore year and can't get minutes on a team without a center. Most guys who can provide quality minutes as a Junior or Senior are getting game time at this point.

Here's a list of Syracuse players who played fewer than 50 total minutes in their frosh and soph seasons and eventually played more than 10 mpg as an upper classman:
George Papadakos (after he transferred to Michigan State)​

Eh, he's in his sophomore year and can't get minutes on a team without a center. Most guys who can provide quality minutes as a Junior or Senior are getting game time at this point.

Here's a list of Syracuse players who played fewer than 50 total minutes in their frosh and soph seasons and eventually played more than 10 mpg as an upper classman:
I see what mean that he didn’t get minutes last night with no center. Just pointing out though that Maliq Brown is our center. He may be more of a forward at the next level, though he is a very good center. This isn’t the same thing when we played undersized centers like Dolezaj and Lydon.

Yeah, Jesse was coming on during his sophomore year. I remember he did a great job on Houston and Houston immediately went on its end-of-half run when Jesse went to the bench, which ended up being a run Cuse was never able to close. Hopefully the staff has an idea now as to Carey's future. And if Patterson looks like he'll overtake Carey next year, then that's all they need to know to make a decision.

This isn’t 1995. Burn the redshirt if he can help. Nobody stays 4 years anymore.
Not the point I'm making.

You're not setting Patterson up, and the team up, to be successful forcing him in to minutes against conference opponents when our record really matters.

I’d rather see Benny at the 5 for 10 minutes than Carey, at least if Benny is playing there it opens more minutes for Cuff and Copeland somewhere down the line. Carey can’t play, Hima even if healthy can’t play, and I’m going to go on a limb, but I don’t think Patterson can play.

Yeah, Jesse was coming on during his sophomore year. I remember he did a great job on Houston and Houston immediately went on its end-of-half run when Jesse went to the bench, which ended up being a run Cuse was never able to close. Hopefully the staff has an idea now as to Carey's future. And if Patterson looks like he'll overtake Carey next year, then that's all they need to know to make a decision.
I think Red has to make some significant roster changes this offseason to be better than a middle of the pack ACC team and the center group is one of them. I do believe that this team would be better if Jesse had stuck around and Red was banking on him as being a senior leader until the NIL money issue.

Jesse played in 39 games and 305 minutes as an frosh and soph and scored 84 points under JAB's regime where he preferred to play Marek 35 mpg and avoided using his bench. There were a lot of threads on this board criticizing JAB for not playing Edwards more - especially in his sophomore season.

So far Carey has played 7 games and 33 minutes. He's basically a preferred walk-on. They're not even close.

If the big fella is out for any length of time...

We can't rely on Maliq to play 40 effective minutes every game.

We can't rely on Hima's knees.

It makes no sense to burn Patterson's redshirt at this point in the season.

Red said Benny could play center in a pinch (fulfilling my prophecy from last season) but that's not a great option.

Carey's going to get some in case of emergency break glass minutes. We probably should invest a little court time in getting him ready to play.

Ditto!

IMG_3918.jpeg

Jesse also probably cost the Orange a Florida State game.

If the coach had an intention of playing Carey this eason it seems he likely would have mentioned him instead of saying that Benny would be an emergency option.

But I think Carey dislikers ( not haters) may be pleasantly surprised in coming years.
I may be hallucinating but I see a guy who just needs to develop and has the ability to become a real player.
Don't write him off yet.

As for the inimitable George Papadakos cited above (and rivaled only by Elvir Ovcina)...he developed into a decent center.
Became co-captain at Michigan State as a senior.

That's why we're getting him minutes.

He needs minutes so he can do something with his minutes.

It's simple really.
No kidding. He looked lost out there. Granted, 7 mins is nothing but a mid season spin up will be difficult, hopefully doable. Get Hima too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom