Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
AR-140318866.jpg&maxW=602&maxH=602&AlignV=top&Q=80

Raftery, Lundquist take their show on the road to Buffalo

Three of the Orange’s starters average at least 32.5 minutes a game while Jerami Grant is slightly behind at 31.4

There's hope that Syracuse basketball can recover from its recent slide

The tipping point for Syracuse

Orange seek turnaround

Syracuse Orange can win with defense

SU's open practice is from 2:15-2:55 & WMU's is 12:45-1:25

Bronco Basketball: What we know about Syracuse

Western Michigan pins tourney hopes on 5th-year seniors

Western Michigan plans to play it cool in opener vs. Orange

Love of game, mother's support brought Western Michigan's David ...

Two Westchester County "utes" like Orange in their pools

Syracuse & five others get regional SI covers

Ennis, Grant & Fair among South Region players to watch

Tyler Ennis in top 15 NCAA go-to-guys

-
Syracuse University (27-5)

-5e5d2049b6d33a2a.jpg

Injuries could tell the tale of who emerges in South

Photos

20 JB Photos

-
Syracuse basketball in the 1980's

Podcast

Will Syracuse Be First No.3 Seed To Bow Out?

Videos

Syracuse: Top 5 Moments of 2013-14 Season

MCW wore an SU Final Four hoodie today and got some advice from Kevin Durant

NCAA Tournament Picks: Syracuse Orange vs. Western Michigan Broncos with Peter Loshak

Western Michigan vs. Syracuse Orange Pick Prediction NCAA Tournament Basketball Odds 3-20-2014

Kenny starts talking Syracuse at 3:10

Syracuse Capsules
-

UF will dodge Kansas and Syracuse, playing six-seed Ohio State in the Elite Eight after knocking off UCLA (a rite of passage for any Florida title team).

In addition to Syracuse, look for Villanova and Creighton to not survive the first weekend, thanks to Connecticut and Baylor, respectively.
Jacksonville.com

-

“I remember Melo taking his team and they ended up winning the thing,” said senior Sampson Carter, who was 12 when Carmelo Anthony led Syracuse to the 2003 national championship.
Davis was 9 when he watched that same run.

“I watched Syracuse with Carmelo Anthony. I watched it and I got excited. I said I wish I could play (in the tournament) one day,” said Davis. Added Williams, “I liked watching Jonny Flynn (Syracuse)
The Recorder

-

And No. 6 Ohio State will fall to No. 3 Syracuse. The Buckeyes just don’t shoot well enough to take advantage of that Orange zone.
Tom Dienhart Big Ten Network

-

And without former members like Louisville and Syracuse, the new-look Big East, a shell of its former self, will be left out in the cold.
The Observer

Likely Upsets

(6) Ohio State over (3) Syracuse

This looks like a homer pick but it really isn’t. As outlined above, Syracuse has been playing over their heads all year and the Bucks started the season by winning 14 straight. Ohio State’s shutdown defense is going to run into steamrolling offense at some point in this tournament, but I don’t think it will be Syracuse.
Read the statistical analysis on Syracuse

-
5. These teams probably won't go out in the first round, but here's a list of higher-seeded squads that I wouldn't trust to make a deep run: No. 2 Villanova, No. 3 Syracuse, No. 3 Creighton, and No. 3 Duke (Huh. Apparently I hate the 3 seeds. Who knew?)
Courier-Journal

-
No. 3 seed Syracuse vs. No. 14 seed Western Michigan: Syracuse has lost five of its past seven games, and its two wins in that stretch were not convincing. Trevor Cooney, the Orange's only reliable three-point shooter, has gone 10-of-51 (19.6 percent) from long range during that seven-game tailspin. Western Michigan has won 12 of its past 13 games, and Broncos guard David Brown is an aggressive fifth-year senior who may be able to penetrate the Syracuse zone.
SFGate

-
Rule No. 6: Syracuse University always disappoints

Don’t pick Syracuse. Besides the fact that the Orangemen are 2-5 in their last seven games and look poised to get bounced in the first round, Syracuse almost always disappoints in the tournament. In his 37 seasons as Syracuse’s coach, Jim Boeheim has led Syracuse to just one national title and only four Final Four appearances. For comparison, Duke University coach Mike Krzyzewski has won four national titles and has been to 11 Final Fours.
Fish and Chipps: March Madness 10 commandments

Anyway, the Midwest is absolutely loaded. The top three seeds (Wichita State, Michigan, Louisville) were in last year’s Final Four. I’ll bet the fellows smiled at each other in the committee room and considered tossing in Syracuse as the third seed, too.
Buffalo News

-aa4bc7336c80221f.jpg

1. Western Michigan (14-4 MAC, 23-9 overall)
The Broncos truly deserve their final ranking. They won 12 of their last 13 games, including two of three overtime tilts. The only loss was an OT setback at Toledo March 1. That resulted in a season split between UT and WMU, but since they both ended up in the top two seeds, it didn’t make a tremendous amount of difference. Like the Rockets, Western needed to shake off a little rust in the semis, but the Broncos prevailed in a 64-60 overtime win over Akron. It’s not that easy beating a talented Zips team when home is just down the road from Quicken Loans arena. Once they got their shot at the championship, the Broncos took care of business, dominating UT through much of the second half. They earned the NCAA tourney spot. Now as for that first game against Syracuse in Buffalo … ah, well that’s another story.
Mac Report

-
West Liberty junior C.J. Hester compared the host site, Koehler Fieldhouse, to a slimmed-down version of Syracuse's Carrier Dome
News Register

-
Gambling

Syracuse Orange vs. Western Michigan Broncos NCAA Tournament South Region Pick-Odds-Prediction

Buffalo Pod
-
Buffalo Notables

Arena makeover puts Sabres on ice
-

Former Players
-
Dion Waiters' double-double not enough against LeBron James, Heat (Syracuse and CNY in the NBA)

Dion's Box Score

IL to Legalize Pot If Carmelo Anthony Joins Bulls

Jackson: Carmelo part of Knicks future, still has 'another level'

Carmelo: If Phil wants to change me, 'I'm willing to do whatever'

dm_140312_nba_melo_pjil_jackson.jpg

Suddenly Anthony says Jackson hiring will affect his free agency

OOC Opponents

Baylor Bears: NCAA Tournament Team Preview

High Point vs Minnesota in NIT

NCAA tournament team previews: Villanova Wildcats

ACC

NCAA Tournament 2014: North Carolina State beats Xavier 74-59 in First Four

NC State handles Xavier, could be trendy upset pick over Saint Louis

Florida State holds off Florida Gulf Coast 58-53

Madness
-
L'ville, Zona, MSU, UF in Obama's Final Four

NCAA tournament 2014: Albany tops Mount St. Mary's 71-64 to win First Four game

March Madness 2014: 3 wacky ways to pick your NCAA tournament bracket

NCAA Tournament: Attendance a concern

Say a prayer
Iowa's McCaffery to be with son for surgery

Survival Bracket returns to predict the national champion, Final Four and potential upsets

Nation

Obama: 'Average kids' need NCAA's support

University

14516688-mmmain.jpg

Faegan's Cafe & Pub makes list of '31 Best College Bars in the US'

Charity partners with Connective Corridor to raise funds, help ...

Tuition to increase for next academic year amid efforts to increase ...

Last edited:
14517788-mmmain.jpg

Here’s another site that gives you access to a free blank bracket for this year’s tourney. That’s if you don’t mind a huge image of Syracuse player C.J. Fair in the middle of your bracket, but hey, it’s free and blank. And free and blank March Madness brackets are apparently really rare on the internet. You can print the PDF from Syracuse.com or you can click on the blank bracket image below.

Printable Blank Tournament Brackets for NCAA March Madness!

Syracuse basketball team could benefit from better defense in NCAA ...

What does "Let's go, Orange" sound like in 10 different languages?

2014 NCAA tournament: Join Brent Axe at 11 a.m. to discuss Syracuse basketball
-
Syracuse's Tyler Ennis, Connecticut's Breanna Stewart on covers of Sports Illustrated this week

Syracuse basketball timeline: Relive the 2013-14 season in photos, stories and more

-
Syracuse basketball has different vibe heading into 2014 NCAA tournament (Mike's Mailbox)

'Anybody but Syracuse' amounts to a popular basketball refrain during the NCAA tournament

Orange fever driving up NCAA tix prices in Buffalo

Video

ncaa-mascots-3.jpg

-
Syracuse basketball video: Otto the Orange is ready for the big dance (vote on his top 10 moves)

Syracuse Capsules

Tyler Ennis, Syracuse – One of the best freshman in the country, Ennis was a key member of No. 3 seed Syracuse’s team for the entire season as the Canadian import averaged 12.7 points, 5.6 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 2.1 steals a game. Although his defense is a bit of an unknown thanks to Syracuse’s 2-3 zone, Ennis has been one of the biggest weapons in the country on the offensive end thanks to his ability to get in the paint and find open teammates or score for himself.
Looking at the top lead guards in the 2014 NCAA Tournament

Last year, Obama picked Indiana to win it all; the Hoosiers lost to Syracuse in an East Regional semifinal. He has picked Kansas twice, in 2010 and 2011, and whiffed both times. He has gone with North Carolina twice, in 2009 and 2012, and hit the jackpot in ’09, when the Tar Heels beat Michigan State.
Washington Post

-
Florida got the overall No. 1 seed and has probably the easiest road to the Final Four of any top seed, though fans of No. 2 Kansas would disagree. I wrote last week that No. 9 Pittsburgh was a team to watch and could knock off one or two top teams come tournament time.

Unfortunately for the Panthers, they get Florida if they can beat No. 8 Colorado in the opener. I see mostly chalk for this region, with Florida taking on either Kansas or No. 3 Syracuse in the regional final. While I love the athleticism of Kansas and Syracuse is certainly not playing its best, the Jim Boeheim zone could frustrate the Jayhawks, who aren’t a great shooting team. I give the edge to the Orange in that game, but I think they ultimately fall to the top seed. Final Four pick: FLORIDA

Let the Madness begin

Coaching makes a huge difference in the tournament, and Jim Boeheim is one of the greatest of all-time. Syracuse closed out the season on a 2-5 run, but expect Boeheim to address those mistakes and put a different team on the floor going forward. There’s no reason the Orange can’t reach the Elite 8, where they would likely face Florida in an intriguing matchup.
Expert NCAA Tournament bracket picks: Del's 2014 March Madness ...

There are likely to be some loud cheers at the FN Center this weekend when Syracuse plays what will effectively be two home tournament games. Sadly, those are likely the last cheers you’ll hear in that building for a while with the Sabres calling it home.
Tonawanda News

My Region Champion: Arizona. I’m not really thrilled with the teams in this region. Had a team like Wichita State or Michigan State or Iowa State or even Syracuse were put into this bracket I’d take them as the region champion. Syracuse is always consistently good. Arizona is solid, good team…got nothing bad to say about them. I just don’t like this bracket

Joel's View from the booth: Another bracket projection

Buffalo
NCAA tournament team previews: Dayton Flyers

OOC Opponent
The Seton Hall game was Villanova’s only lapse this year. Its three other losses were all to top-20 teams -- Syracuse at the Carrier Dome and Creighton twice.
How Villanova won't overlook 15 seed: Seton Hall

Former Player

i

-
Cavaliers' Dion Waiters injures hip in loss to Heat

Madness

How Much Is an NCAA Basketball Tournament Bid Worth?

Time for No. 16 to beat No. 1?

Nation
-
Pearl can't recruit or evaluate until Aug 24 for lying
-

Blogs
-
NCAA Tournament Predictions: Syracuse vs. Western Michigan

Syracuse vs. WMU: Better Know Your Broncos
Jim Boeheim: If your instinct is to have sinking Syracuse go out early, trust it. Believe it or not, Boeheim has never made it past the first weekend more than twice in a row in 24 tournament appearances. His team got past the first weekend in 2012 and 2013, so he's due for an early exit.
Analysis of top coaches in NCAA's

SU Women

Recruiting
-

Sophomore Desiree Elmore of Hartford Capital had 27, 14 in the 3rd quarter
The Day

According to this 2013 interview Desiree is interested in broadcast journalism

Last edited:
-61e286995eb267ff.JPG

For teams who spend the most to win

Syracuse vs Duke for all the marbles

President Barack Obama picks Syracuse to lose to Ohio State in ...

Syracuse basketball's Otto the Orange named No. 1 mascot in 2014 ...

Brampton stars such as Ennis & Ejim on big stage

WMU basketball coach Steve Hawkins says Syracuse will be huge ...

2014 NCAA tournament: Live updates from Syracuse basketball ...

Broncos Set For NCAA Stage vs. Syracuse

Video

Syracuse basketball video: '3 points' with Matt Roe on the Western ...

Syracuse Capsules

Don’t convince yourself that if Western Michigan (14) can just eke out a win against Syracuse (3), they’ve got smooth sailing for another round or two. Read the matchups: Certain teams play a style so distinctive it’s almost patented. Syracuse runs a team-oriented 2-3 defense that is smothering when it clicks on all cylinders. Wisconsin slows down the pace and milks the clock, hoping to wear down opponents physically and psychologically. Virginia Commonwealth has a name for its chaotic full-court press: HAVOC. These teams are run with brutal efficiency, but this makes them vulnerable to upsets from the right team. Wisconsin has trouble scoring on good defenses, for example, and Syracuse’s zone gets stretched thin by teams with good three-point shooters. Overthinking will doom your bracket — see item #1 above — but picking all chalk is both no fun and won’t win you anything.
National Review

The only other Michigan school represented in the tourney is Western Michigan. The Broncos (23-9) captured the Mid-American Conference tournament title and are seeded 14th in the South bracket. The Bronchos face No. 3 seed Syracuse (27-5), who was among the hottest teams in the country earlier in the season. Western is in the field for the first time since 2004, while the Orange are normal visitors to the NCAA tourney. The Broncos were 12-point underdogs on Monday, meaning the chance of a deep run isn’t likely. However, it is tourney time, and who knows? Anything can happen during March Madness.
TC Times

No. 3 vs. No. 14 — The 14th seed has beat the third seed 17 times. When it does happen, it seems it’s always a traditional power who loses. Teams like Kansas, North Carolina, Michigan State and Arizona lost as 3 seeds. Does that mean Duke may go down to Mercer, or Syracuse loses to Western Michigan? Don’t be shocked.
TC Times

University

Patricia Betron '88, ESPN Senior VP of Multimedia Sales, to Speak ...

Colleges Asked To Prove Post-Grad Success

"Don’t convince yourself that if Western Michigan (14) can just eke out a win against Syracuse (3), they’ve got smooth sailing for another round or two. Read the matchups: Certain teams play a style so distinctive it’s almost patented. Syracuse runs a team-oriented 2-3 defense that is smothering when it clicks on all cylinders. Wisconsin slows down the pace and milks the clock, hoping to wear down opponents physically and psychologically. Virginia Commonwealth has a name for its chaotic full-court press: HAVOC. These teams are run with brutal efficiency, but this makes them vulnerable to upsets from the right team. Wisconsin has trouble scoring on good defenses, for example, and Syracuse’s zone gets stretched thin by teams with good three-point shooters. Overthinking will doom your bracket — see item #1 above — but picking all chalk is both no fun and won’t win you anything."
National Review

They should stick to politics. This is just lazy writing.

20deal1-articleLarge.jpg

Tyler Ennis, Tony McIntyre and the game show, "Deal or no Deal"

NCAA tournament 2014: Syracuse basketball a hotter ticket than Springsteen in Buffalo

Syracuse's Rakeem Christmas looks to avoid foul trouble, handle ...

NCAA tournament odds: Here they are, and Syracuse comes in as a not-so-long-shot of 20-1

Boeheim's Senior Moment

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says Western Michigan's Shayne ...

NCAA tournament: Most experts think Syracuse won't get past Sweet 16 (what they're saying)

-

Dime Magazine analyzes a possible SU-Kansas affair

Hawkins on 'Cuse zone, MAC

Syracuse fan base has served as a boon to Buffalo ticket sales

Podcast

allie-laforce-march-madness-sideline-reporter-2013-8.jpg

Allie LaForce: Why Syracuse might be on upset alert

Syracuse Capsules

SFA is making just its second NCAA Tournament appearance in program history. The last time the ’Jacks earned a berth in the NCAA Tournament was in 2009 when they fell to Syracuse in the South regional in Miami.

TMT
-

UCLA loses to Syracuse in the Elite Eight. Syracuse is known for its prestigious journalism program and journalists are the original hipsters: We brew our own beer and ride our vintage, single-speed bikes to the office.
Colorodoan
-

CBS: Several of the experts have 12-seed North Dakota St beating 5-seed Oklahoma. But the biggest individual upsets among the many expert brackets are 14-seed Western Michigan over Syracuse (from Mateen Cleaves' bracket) and New Mexico St. toppling San Diego St. (Gregg Doyel's bracket).

Vegas: Syracuse, with 18/1 odds, is a better bet than Villanova, Michigan, and Duke — all of which are seeded higher.
The Wire

-

There have been narrow escapes lately. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Syracuse's seven-point victory over UNC Asheville in 2012 was the first single-digit margin of victory by a No. 1 over a No. 16 seed since 1997. Last year, Western Kentucky lost to Kansas by just seven and Southern made it scary for Gonzaga, falling by six. So it would seem the climate for the shiniest of shining moments has to be changing.
Time for No. 16 to beat No. 1?

16. (play-in game) Brigham Young vs. Syracuse: Dave Rose's string of seven NCAA tournaments in eight years is impressive. Bronco Mendenhall looks to regain his double-digit-win seasons after back-to-back 8-5 campaigns. Syracuse hoops pushes Orangemen into top 16 but football wasn't much of a presence in the 2000s and is just picking itself up again the last two seasons.

Seeding NCAA tournament football/basketball combos 1-16

Video

Syracuse basketball video: '3 points' with Matt Roe with 3 keys for the Orange in the NCAA Tournament

2014 NCAA tournament: Live updates from Syracuse basketball practice and interviews

Live video from Syracuse basketball players, Jim Boeheim interviews from NCAA tournament

Syracuse Talks NCAA Tournament Matchup Against Western ...

Former Players

Dayton assistant Allen Griffin, ex-Syracuse star, not looking past Ohio State in NCAA tournament

Lakers News: Kobe Says Carmelo Anthony Has 'Championship DNA'

Dayton assistant Allen Griffin, ex-Syracuse star, not looking past Ohio State in NCAA tournament

State champion, Kevin Kings, Westhill boys remain No. 1 in state rankings ...

Miscellaneous

2013 Le Moyne men's lacrosse team will be honored at halftime of Syracuse's NCAA tournament game

Madness
-
Bracket busters: 5 NCAA tournament teams with Cinderella potential

Here's a Final Four of most important NCAA championship games ever
-

Interview: ESPN's Jay Williams Gives His Final Four Picks, POY And ...

Joe Bianchino’s Bracket

NCAA tournament bracket tips: 10 guides to help you win your office pool

-
ACC

Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon discusses team's transition to ACC
-

Blog
-

Mike Hopkins. The long-time Syracuse assistant nears the top of the list of hot assistant coaches in line to take over his own program. Hopkins, a former Orange captain, has been an assistant coach under Boeheim since 1995, primarly focused on working with guards and helping to develop several future NBA players. Hopkins was reportedly named the successor to Boeheim back in 2007, a report that Syracuse AD Doc Gross later refuted. While Hopkins doesn't have any head coaching experience, he has been a part of a very successful basketball program for a number of years (and that's about the nicest thing I'll say about Syracuse here). Aside from the lack of head coaching experience, the other mark against Hopkins is he may be in line to succeed Boeheim at Syracuse. It's unclear how long he'd stick around before Boeheim finally decides to hang them up.

Boston College Basketball: Initial List of Head Coaching Candidates
-

NCAA Tournament South Region Breakdown

CNY

Will Mayor Miner be faulted for this?

Syracuse not listed among top 150 cities for startups

-
Comedian Jessimae Peluso also told several anecdotes about her childhood in Syracuse, N.Y., a town she has no fond feelings for. She said the nicest building in the town was the bus station and when she asked if anyone in the audience was from that area, a student said she was from Rochester and Peluso congratulated her on “getting out.”
Mace & Crown

-

SU Women

So(Con), is an upset brewing?
-

University

George Saunders biggest regrets are missed ops to be kind

Last edited:
Syracuse prepares for another shot at an NCAA Title

Confident Western Michigan faces tall order vs. Syracuse

Syracuse has an 18/1 chance of winning it all (that's 8th best)

Syracuse Capsules

Until Syracuse and its hypocritical basketball coach Jim (rhymes with “pay time”) Boeheim joined the ACC, I used to think the only way I’d root for Duke was if Satan fielded a starting five.
By Barry Saunders

New Mexico has the size to get past Stanford but will probably get run out of the tournament by Syracuse in the next round.

Daily Ranger

Blog

South Region betting odds: Ohio State vs. Dayton, Syracusevs ...

Syracuse Capsules

Potential upsets: Syracuse skidded into the NCAA tournament losing five of its last seven and shooting below 40 percent in each of those five losses. If Trevor Cooney continues to misfire from the perimeter, can the Orange find enough scoring to beat a Western Michigan team that entered the NCAA tournament on a tear and has seen a similar 2-3 zone to Syracuse's twice this year against Eastern Michigan?

Yahoo

Duke and Syracuse played the two best regular-season games of the year and would have a rubber match in the Outback Bowl. So at least there's that ..

If March Madness Used BCS Bowl System

Former Football Player

Doug Hogue's younger brother Dustin plays for Iowa State

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors