were better with howard in | Syracusefan.com

were better with howard in

He's his own worst enemy. Will follow a good play with a glaring frosh error (like not realizing someone is right behind you at all times at this level). That four point swing where he got swiped on the break was a momentum killer

He's his own worst enemy. Will follow a good play with a glaring frosh error (like not realizing someone is right behind you at all times at this level). That four point swing where he got swiped on the break was a momentum killer
That sucked, and the front rimmed first of two free throw down the stretch hurt us down the end. This year Howard has absolutely no confidence in his shot.

Those two lay-ups he did pull off were pretty nice though.

Are we better because he was in or because it meant cooney was out for most of those minutes? Serious question.
Cooney wasn't awful last night, but he wasn't great either.

That was a bad mistake, but that little dude was flying to get that steal. Frank was moving pretty quick and I'm sure never expected to be run down like he was standing still on that play. But he needs to recognize the possibility is there and be stronger with the ball. Couldn't tell if his teammates were letting him know but imagine with the crowd noise there it would have been hard to hear either way.

How about on the defensive end of the floor? He is not very good on defense and on offense, he is no threat.

I don't like this narrative of him being no threat on offense. It's false. He makes everyone around him better, like an actual point guard should. He finds guy in rhythm to make shots and he's the only guard (or one playing guard right now) capable of actually throwing a decent alley oop.

And he's not quite as skilled defensively yet, but G and Cooney both gave up more threes from their side than Howard did last night. He's longer than Cooney. And he did get the nice block last night.

Cooney wasn't awful last night, but he wasn't great either.
Agreed. He was ok so tonight wasn't the night for the lineup I would like to see. Frank, G, Mal, Roberson, Lydon. Assuming of course that Roberson is out of his funk

I don't like this narrative of him being no threat on offense. It's false. He makes everyone around him better, like an actual point guard should. He finds guy in rhythm to make shots and he's the only guard (or one playing guard right now) capable of actually throwing a decent alley oop.

And he's not quite as skilled defensively yet, but G and Cooney both gave up more threes from their side than Howard did last night. He's longer than Cooney. And he did get the nice block last night.

I said this in the game thread, but we were going to give up threes last night. G and Cooney were both in the paint a lot lower than they usually are probably because the game plan was to pack it in against UNC's bigs.

How about on the defensive end of the floor? He is not very good on defense and on offense, he is no threat.

I am so sick of hearing this. It's incorrect. If you're talking about a deep threat, I'll certainly give you that. But the guy gets people the ball with opportunities to score. Last I checked, that's offense.

Shh drives me crazy.

I said this in the game thread, but we were going to give up threes last night. G and Cooney were both in the paint a lot lower than they usually are probably because the game plan was to pack it in against UNC's bigs.

Yup. And it worked pretty well I'd say. Still held them to 24% from 3 overall.

I will say that I noticed Frank not recover well after going with a guard into the paint. Kind of got caught standing around a couple times not sure what to do. That will come with time though.

This is twice that Howard has been picked from behind. There's no excuse for this. You should learn this in Junior Varsity basketball. I don't think I've seen us do this to anyone this year, but it's happened to Howard twice. I thought we were awful on offense the entire game and our turnovers were maddening. I can't remember how many times we had the ball in our hands and had it taken away. If we shot the ball at a decent percentage last night we win, despite the turnovers. G finished well, but was awful in the first half. Richardson was another no-show. It was another frustrating loss against a team that is not nearly as good as people think. I can see NC getting bounced early in the tournament. If we don't win at least one more game, we'll be out of the tournament. This is another blown opportunity in what's becoming another mediocre season.

He's currently not much of a threat on offense in terms of his own scoring. He does make those around him better, but he doesn't have to be defended; if he's in the game with Coleman or Roberson (or both) that's two or three guys who don't have to be accounted for.

UNC made six threes in the first half, and then none in the second half. They aren't a good shooting team, so the numbers eventually evened out. The start of the second half we dug ourselves into a hole that we never quite got out of.

I agree. Howard isn't as much of a threat as Cooney clearly, but he is more dynamic. He can get to the hoop and he also sets up teammates. I am also convinced that if he had a longer rope earlier we would see him hitting more shots now.

As to the the defense, it is designed to give up threes. UNC only shot 24% from three and took a pretty high volume. I'd say that is basically what we were trying to accomplish. Just need to make sure we are clearing the misses.

He's currently not much of a threat on offense in terms of his own scoring. He does make those around him better, but he doesn't have to be defended; if he's in the game with Coleman or Roberson (or both) that's two or three guys who don't have to be accounted for.[/QUOTE]

So they just stand there un-guarded?

He's currently not much of a threat on offense in terms of his own scoring. He does make those around him better, but he doesn't have to be defended; if he's in the game with Coleman or Roberson (or both) that's two or three guys who don't have to be accounted for.

He doesn't need to be defended from three, but if you don't guard him, he will blow by you and either make the layup or actually dish the ball to someone for a dunk. We don't need him to be Allen Iverson. I agree he needs to be a threat from 15-18 feet, but in the pick and roll offense, we don't need him to be a three point shooter. There was one time last night that I thought it would be great for him to be a threat from 3. G reversed the ball very quickly to Frank and he was WIDE OPEN on the wing/corner area. Even with the leash tightly around his neck I would have liked to see him take that shot. Heck, Cooney takes that and misses most games as well... Sorry, that was cheap.

He doesn't need to be defended from three, but if you don't guard him, he will blow by you and either make the layup or actually dish the ball to someone for a dunk. We don't need him to be Allen Iverson. I agree he needs to be a threat from 15-18 feet, but in the pick and roll offense, we don't need him to be a three point shooter. There was one time last night that I thought it would be great for him to be a threat from 3. G reversed the ball very quickly to Frank and he was WIDE OPEN on the wing/corner area. Even with the leash tightly around his neck I would have liked to see him take that shot. Heck, Cooney takes that and misses most games as well... Sorry, that was cheap.

Exactly. Our entire offense is motion hand-offs up top between 3 guards and high ball screens. We don't usually just have a PG standing alone up top directly traffic.

You and CuseFaninVT both know I'm not saying that in the literal sense. Howard is fine out there for short stretches at this stage in his development. I just think you're playing with fire if you leave him out there too long.

You and CuseFaninVT both know I'm not saying that in the literal sense. Howard is fine out there for short stretches at this stage in his development. I just think you're playing with fire if you leave him out there too long.
How? Howard knows what he is doing out there and is a tremendous true point guard. Like somebody said earlier, he makes everyone on the court better. He is just as good, if not a better passer than Ennis, and he has the size and ability to see over the defense to get teammates open looks. While I do agree that he makes some dumb mistakes out there (see turnover he committed last night when he was caught from behind), but overall I think he is going to be a very good player if his jumper starts to fall for him. He's already shown he can drive by guys and can finish with either hand around the rim.

I hear you. I'd like to see him get just a bit more run, especially on nights where G is obviously gassed (like the end of the first half) and Cooney is not hitting.

I disagree on the playing with fire, but that's probably just semantics for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom