Were you THAT guy? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Were you THAT guy?

Captain, you have no alibi. It was you. You broke Doug's balls. :)

I hope I wont be blamed by the sanctimonious here for driving recruits away or getting a university sanctioned by my message board posts. ;) (lol seriously, for those who think *I* go overboard...someone needs to say something, may as well be a "bad guy wrestler" like me. SMH)

EDIT: BTW, I actually kind of liked some of the bad guy wrestlers like The Undertaker, and his manager Paul Bearer. Andy Kaufman(one of my main role models, albeit posthumously) realized folks like that were needed in this mundane society. It seems apparent that Doug realizes it too! I kinda feel like the protagonist, Derek, in American History X when he kind of switches sides after a shower incident in prison. Yes, this board can have that effect!

iu

I'm sure a handful of folks here particularly could relate to this one (featuring Andy Kaufman and Jerry "The King" Lawler)

iu

Last edited:
I've given Mike a couple of shots and he gave me a couple of shots. I called him to welcome him back and when I note I was on Syracusefan.com, he went off on a diatribe about all the "haters", (I hate that term), he has there. Anther time there he was having some problem hearing me, although i could hear him fine and had just had another phone call without trouble and he became angry with me for having a lousy phone line and said "Go get yourself a line that works, Dude!!!". I then made another call to test it and my line was fine.

I still listen to him occasionally. He does=good analysis but I preferred him as a reporter. He just doesn't have a very interesting or friendly personality. I call Bud and the Manchild and the Axeman because they like me and I like them. Orangenation and and Lindsley, not so much.

So, you're the one that likes Bud!

You would think after hammering 3 of the 4 teams in the final four all year on tv and his radio show, he would know better not to sit with the fans at the final four. I mean I know it's just sports, but the vitriol he had toward some fan bases is going to anger people who are passionate about their school.

I posted this in the daily articles thread, but this is probably a better place for it. I was in the Syracuse section and before our game started, Douggie went running up the aisle in the middle of the orange throngs. We booed him very loudly, he clearly knew what was happening but appeared to be taking it well in stride and was kind of laughing and ducking as he ran up the stairs (yes he ran). He sort of references this in the quotes and I can confirm it was true. There was nothing terribly malicious about it. The rest? I didn't see anything like that but I also didn't follow him around so it is completely reasonable that it could have happened. If you spend a considerable amount of your career trolling an entire fanbase on national broadcasts, is it that shocking that one that has a few beverages might not angrily call you out on it?

My money is on Gottlieb making this story up completely or greatly embellishing a minor incident.

Yeah, it was more like fan wearing an Orange shirt frowned at him and that was the extent of it. Gottlieb just embellished the story in his imagination after that. He just assumed all Orange fans are drunk.

Brent Axe on his show playing an interview he did with Doug Gottlieb about a confrontation he had with a Syracuse fan at the Final Four. Brent wrote an article aobut it:
Doug Gottlieb says he doesn't have a Syracuse basketball 'grudge'

There's more detail in the radio discussion. The fan was apparently drunk and highly profane, calling Gottlieb every name in the book and threatening physical harm. Axe is acknowledging that Gottlieb has had a problematic relationship with SU and it's fan but says that what he is describing should never happen, which anyone should agree with.

But, it being Gottlieb, I wonder if it did happen, (he's suddenly talking about this after he Barkley incident started making headlines) and if his description of it was accurate. If you ARE that guy, maybe you can fill us in on what actually happened?

If it was me, and I was drunk, then I'm pretty sure I would not remember!

Wasn't me, but I'm not saying I wouldn't trip him or something if we ever crossed paths.