What’s the deal? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What’s the deal?

I’m not advocating for keeping Dino on for any length of time. But I’m baffled by people who are so adamant he needs to be fired by Monday. If he’s fired Monday, so be it. If he’s not and they wait 1-2-3 weeks - I don’t care.
In all honesty he should have been fired after last week. I viewed this home game with BC as a courtesy. As bad as he’s been I think it’s bad form to fire a coach after a road game.

He’s been coach for eight years. Three more weeks isn’t going to substantially change the required rebuild.

And we’re not making a bowl. “Maybe an interim can get us to a bowl” is as asinine as thinking Dino can get this team to a bowl. Terrible reason to fire now.

Except as has been stated; the portal opens in a few weeks and a new staff, if they’re going to have success next year will need to be working the portal.

I’m not advocating for keeping Dino on for any length of time. But I’m baffled by people who are so adamant he needs to be fired by Monday. If he’s fired Monday, so be it. If he’s not and they wait 1-2-3 weeks - I don’t care.
I think you wait until end of season if you want to make the change.

What was your question? Seriously I didn’t see one. And I took your point as “I don’t care, but you’re all idiots”.

Here’s my point - there are folks here ready to fire Wildhack if he hasn’t fired Dino by Monday.
The question is “is there any advantage to firing Dino Monday as opposed to 2 weeks from now?” Based on the answers so far, it’s obvious the answer is no. So anytime in the next two weeks works equally well.

The only caveat would be if we were going to hire a guy not currently coaching who could start digging into portal options ASAP - if we did fire Dino Monday I’d expect that to be the case. If we’re going to be hiring someone who is coaching right now, there’s no possible advantage to firing Monday

Last edited:
If the planned interim coach is a LEGITIMATE candidate to be retained full time, I'd say to pull the plug now to get a preview.

If he's just going to be a space filler, there's no rush. Just don't wait until the top candidates are getting hired or penciled in elsewhere.

Here’s my point - there are folks here ready to fire Wildhack if he hasn’t fired Dino by Monday.
The question is “is there any advantage to firing Dino Monday as opposed to 2 weeks from now?” Based on the answers so far, it’s obvious the answer is no. So anytime in the next two weeks works equally well.

The only caveat would be if we were going to hire a guy not currently coaching who could start digging into portal options ASAP - if we did fire Dino Monday I’d expect that to be the case. If we’re going to be hiring someone who is coaching right now, there’s no possible advantage to firing Monday
That's pretty much how I look at it also, so you're not alone. And anyone who is truly worried about going on some sort of winning streak considering we're probably looking at Shrader being out, well l'm not sure that's going to happen after watching last night.

IMG_0376.jpeg

The question is “is there any advantage to firing Dino Monday as opposed to 2 weeks from now?”
Firing him now has no downside whatsoever. Keeping him on has one glaring downside: there is a very small, but non-zero, chance that he wins two games and makes it to a bowl game and make himself hard to fire. Firing him has one glaring upside: there is a small, but non-zero, chance that the interim coach wins two games and makes it to a bowl game and makes the program/job look more appealing to others.

Plenty of people will roll their eyes and say, "Yeah, whatever, 5% chance, who cares?"

You don't succeed in the long run by giving negative freerolls.

On a personal level, I know it's in the best interest of the program for him to be fired, so I have to root against the team until he is fired. If he's fired now, I can root for the team to hit that longshot and make a bowl game.

I think the portal changes the concept from the past. I also think the players are done with Dino and based on how he’s been playing a clearly hurt Shrader and now the bizarre half suspension of Clark…it’s reasonable to question what he’s doing out there and to pull the plug sooner. Let the players rally behind someone else and maybe save the season. They can still hire someone new.

Of course, if there’s some weird buyout consideration with waiting a few weeks to save some money, maybe we have to wait.but I doubt that’s an issue here.

What is with the urgency many on this board have with firing Dino by Monday? What is the benefit of that as opposed to waiting 2-3 weeks?
Personally, I want him fired now because it should have been done years ago. I would like to see a clear sign that, like the fans, the university is fed up with Dino's shiteshow. There is no benefit to keeping him, his era is done, just end it. I'm sure there are monetary reasons for the wait.

Firing him now has no downside whatsoever. Keeping him on has one glaring downside: there is a very small, but non-zero, chance that he wins two games and makes it to a bowl game and make himself hard to fire. Firing him has one glaring upside: there is a small, but non-zero, chance that the interim coach wins two games and makes it to a bowl game and makes the program/job look more appealing to others.

Plenty of people will roll their eyes and say, "Yeah, whatever, 5% chance, who cares?"

You don't succeed in the long run by giving negative freerolls.

On a personal level, I know it's in the best interest of the program for him to be fired, so I have to root against the team until he is fired. If he's fired now, I can root for the team to hit that longshot and make a bowl game.

So it basically comes down to a fear we might become bowl eligible.

As I and others have noted, that sets up nicely for certain media members to blast SU for firing a guy who had a chance to become bowl eligible. So you’re willing to risk potential bad PR to avoid the extremely low chance a miracle happens and we crawl into a bowl.

IMHO, that is an absolutely terrible reason. If we do fire him now, I sincerely hope our PR folks can put a better spin on it than that - because questions about why fire a coach when the team still had a chance to become bowl eligible will be coming and will need to be answered.

As I and others have noted, that sets up nicely for certain media members to blast SU for firing a guy who had a chance to become bowl eligible. So you’re willing to risk potential bad PR to avoid the extremely low chance a miracle happens and we crawl into a bowl.

IMHO, that is an absolutely terrible reason. If we do fire him now, I sincerely hope our PR folks can put a better spin on it than that - because questions about why fire a coach when the team still had a chance to become bowl eligible will be coming and will need to be answered.
Bad PR with whom? The community? It would be great PR to fire him, no one in town is happy Bad PR for the alumni base? Bulluck and others don't feel that way. Bad PR in the national media? We are already a laughingstock right now ... we might actually get positive PR for acting like a big boy program for a change.

Bad PR with whom? The community? It would be great PR to fire him, no one in town is happy Bad PR for the alumni base? Bulluck and others don't feel that way. Bad PR in the national media? We are already a laughingstock right now ... we might actually get positive PR for acting like a big boy program for a change.

I’m not advocating not firing him. I’m saying the difference between firing him now and firing him in two weeks is effectively NOTHING. People getting their panties in bunch ready to fire Wildhack and burn the Dome to the ground if Babers isn’t fired Monday need to calm the hell down.

That the primary reasoning is we might win and make a bowl is pathetic. “Let’s fire our coach! He might win too much for us to fire him if we don’t!” is just an awful position. I get that the school has created that fear with some past decisions - but I doubt 6-6 in year 8 is going to be adequate to keep Babers on, if that incredibly unlikely situation actually occurs.

If you’re in that camp that he must be fired Monday - my opinion of you is justifiably low. It’s a highly emotional, totally idiotic position. If he gets fired today, fine. But if he doesn’t I’m not going to freak out the school opted to wait.

I’m not advocating not firing him. I’m saying the difference between firing him now and firing him in two weeks is effectively NOTHING. People getting their panties in bunch ready to fire Wildhack and burn the Dome to the ground if Babers isn’t fired Monday need to calm the hell down.

That the primary reasoning is we might win and make a bowl is pathetic. “Let’s fire our coach! He might win too much for us to fire him if we don’t!” is just an awful position. I get that the school has created that fear with some past decisions - but I doubt 6-6 in year 8 is going to be adequate to keep Babers on, if that incredibly unlikely situation actually occurs.

If you’re in that camp that he must be fired Monday - my opinion of you is justifiably low. It’s a highly emotional, totally idiotic position. If he gets fired today, fine. But if he doesn’t I’m not going to freak out the school opted to wait.

My only reason for firing him now is to reinvigorate the program, get a jump on the portal and get the best candidate possible. I have never said a word about ADJW. I’m also not going to use PR as an excuse to keep someone when external perception of the program is low. As for your opinion of me I could care less … someone who is that quick to form an opinion over what I wrote above and doesn’t know me as a person is low IQ. Fair enough?

Wishful thinking. But before a better job opens up and Mullen ( or another candidate) goes there instead. As I said before, there should be several good openings. I don’t want to be left hanging with d in hand and end up with 7th choice..

More games like the last 5 hurt us and dig a deeper hole for the next guy.

Pitt and Wake are down as well. We want to win one of these its no pro sports where you get a higher pick. Winless in the ACC can't happen and the AD has to do whatever it can to get a win somewhere.

Also, if this is about the money. Who signed off on the terms for the contract extension? Maybe next time we don’t put a buy out clause we can’t afford if things go awry.

Also, if this is about the money. Who signed off on the terms for the contract extension? Maybe next time we don’t put a buy out clause we can’t afford if things go awry.
I like the idea that someone threw out saying make the buyout tiered based on results. Will never happen but would be nice.

It comes down to being bowl eligible would be a bad thing if we haven't fired him yet and a good thing if we have. I want the upside exposure, not the downside risk.

Nobody is going to blast SU for firing a guy who had a chance to be bowl eligible after a five game losing streak in which they averaged less than 9 points per game. It's the easiest decision in the world to defend. Point to that, point to his conference record, and say you wanted to get a jump on the hiring process and the portal and send a loud and clear message that this is unacceptable for Syracuse football.

When the product on the field is embarrassing, it's better to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. When the product is respectable and the results aren't cutting it, it's a tougher decision.

Adam Terry said it best last night that SU has to put a better product on the field. He said the fans that turned out last night didn’t deserve the product on the field.
I agree. I took a half day from work and drove an hour and a half each way to watch that lousy game just to get home at 1:30 in the morning. If it wasn’t for tailgating with great people I would’ve considered the day a total waste.

Because the sooner to get someone in to see the reality of what they are working through, the sooner they can get to work making the changes they need to make. Evaluation of talent or lack of talent. What areas need addressing, etc.

That might work if the coach is out of work. Not so much if they’re still coaching their own team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom