What am I missing on Noel? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What am I missing on Noel?

I'm also skeptical of Noel. Serge Ibaka is more athletic and much stronger than Noel and he was just physically abused by Randolph that entire series. Granted Z-Bo is a tank, but how many centers can Noel stop down low? We say he'll play the 5 but NBA 4s and 5s have to guard both 4s and 5s. It's basically 2 on 2 at times. Throw in a pick and roll, hi-low, and suddenly Noel is trying to stop DeAndre Jordan from breaking his face.

You tell me which one of these guys Noel can keep out of the paint or block their shot while back peddling on the block.

Randolph
M. Gasol
Howard
Noah
Jordan
Griffin
Kanter
Lopez
Blatche
Hibbert
Asik
Pekovic
Cousins
Jefferon
Chandler
Horford
Duncan

I'm also skeptical of Noel. Serge Ibaka is more athletic and much stronger than Noel and he was just physically abused by Randolph that entire series. Granted Z-Bo is a tank, but how many centers can Noel stop down low? We say he'll play the 5 but NBA 4s and 5s have to guard both 4s and 5s. It's basically 2 on 2 at times. Throw in a pick and roll, hi-low, and suddenly Noel is trying to stop DeAndre Jordan from breaking his face.

You tell me which one of these guys Noel can keep out of the paint or block their shot while back peddling on the block.

Randolph
M. Gasol
Howard
Noah
Jordan
Griffin
Kanter
Lopez
Blatche
Hibbert
Asik
Pekovic
Cousins
Jefferon
Chandler
Horford
Duncan
haha...two thirds of those guys couldn't score if they were locked in the gym by themselves.

The kid turned 19 last month. I'm sure he'll fill out some. Remember DC at 19?

His offense is currently a weakness, but I'd call his his shotblocking dominant, contrary to the OP. His work ethic and defense is enough to keep in the league for 15+ years. As with many of the one and doners, though, his development may take to long to fully benefit the drafting team.

If there's an all-NBA talent in this class 4-5 years from now, I'd look to Tony Snell, Tony Mitchell, McLemore, Muhammad, Oladipo, Porter and Noel.

Pains me to say it, but from what I saw from Otto Porter this year I would take him ahead of Noel. I see Noel's ceiling as Tyson Chandler, which isn't bad but isn't number one material. Like has been said though this draft is fugly. I think you could pick in the 20s and get someone just as good as the lottery.

Weird you say that...since Chandler was the second overall draft pick.

Noel is so terrible offensively that he would have to be one of the greatest defenders in recent memory to justify going one overall. id rather take a risk and come up snake eyes than take him and be happy to have rotation mediocrity.

I would seriously rather take the french dude

Noel is really young, I think it's fair to say he is going to fill out as he gets older.

There are probably enough questions about his game to make me want to pass on him, but for who? I really do like Porter though, maybe I'd just take him if i were Cleveland

Cleveland seems to have a good front office in place right now. They lucked out a couple of years ago with two lottery picks, scoring the #1 and #4 picks. Picked up two promising players [I know Irving has been injury prone, but if he can stay healthy--a big if--looks like an impact player] who were both YOUNG. Last year, they had the #4 and something like the #19 pick, which they turned into two more very solid players [Dion and Zeller]. They have two first round picks and something like 4 in the top 37 [without looking], and will likely be able to add another solid rotation player with the second of the first round selections.

Reports indicate that Cleveland is actively exploring all options. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them trade out or down a bit. Whether there is elite star power atop the draft or not, the #1 pick holds some cache. And there are bound to be teams out there that might evaluate a player like McLemore, Noel, or whichever other player more than Cleveland might. Enviable position to be in.

Or, they might hang onto the pick and take the player they have rated highest. They've started to build a solid [albeit extremely young] nucleus, but they aren't playoff caliber yet. They could certainly afford to "wait" on a player like Noel to round into form in 2-3 years, right when the rest of the roster is ripening alongside him.

well, if I am cleveland, I say the hell with the consensus, I am taking the guy I want - Porter or Oladipo - then grab one of the other big rim protectors (Adams, Gobert,Dieng, Withey) with 19 (or maybe package 19 and 31 or 33 to move up a bit higher to guarantee getting Adams or Gobert).

this draft is a crap shoot because there is no surefire star, so you run the risk of looking like an idiot no matter who you take - might just as well draft for need and if you flame out at least it was with a plan in mind.
Yeah, it sounds simple, but having the first pick means you get to make a choice before everyone else.

You win with defense. Noel if healthy in the future has the chance to be the best defensive player in this draft. He should be considered as the first draft pick in what is perhaps the weakest draft of all time.

well, if I am cleveland, I say the hell with the consensus, I am taking the guy I want - Porter or Oladipo - then grab one of the other big rim protectors (Adams, Gobert,Dieng, Withey) with 19 (or maybe package 19 and 31 or 33 to move up a bit higher to guarantee getting Adams or Gobert).

this draft is a crap shoot because there is no surefire star, so you run the risk of looking like an idiot no matter who you take - might just as well draft for need and if you flame out at least it was with a plan in mind.

Nice. Agree with all of this. You CAN'T take Noel at No. 1 and keep him if you're CLE in year 3 of your 3-year plan as Gilbert/Grant have mentioned. The guy may not even play until Jan! He's 206 lbs! I think all of those Cs and rim protectors you listed will be in the NBA a long time as good players. Noel not so much.

You win with defense. Noel if healthy in the future has the chance to be the best defensive player in this draft. He should be considered as the first draft pick in what is perhaps the weakest draft of all time.

Big boys will go straight through Noel and foul him out. He needs at least 25lbs of muscle.

The Cav's need a big man to cover for the injury plagued varejao (81 games in the last 3 years) or a 3. That means Noel or Porter. I suspect they'd love to trade down and get Porter. The question is who has a lower pick that is good enough to get Porter and needs a 5.

Noel's pre-draft measuremets were 6'10" / 6; 11.75" in shoes with a 7' 3.75" wingspan.

Pains me to say it, but from what I saw from Otto Porter this year I would take him ahead of Noel. I see Noel's ceiling as Tyson Chandler, which isn't bad but isn't number one material. Like has been said though this draft is fugly. I think you could pick in the 20s and get someone just as good as the lottery.
IMHO if you knew Noel would be as good as Chandler (All-Star and Olympian) you take him at 1 and smile all night.

I think Camby and Chandler are good comparisons. Also Ben Wallace. These never developed much of an offensive game and took 5-6 years to get stonger and dominate on defense and rebounds. thats pretty much what I would expect from Noel.

I would be worried about that Knee. Its always tempting to go with the Center when there is other talent out there. If I was a GM that year with Oden and Durant would be in the back of my mind. You pass on Durant for Oden and looking back it must kill Portland that Oden gave them nothing and Durant is a top 5 player right now.

I would be worried about that Knee. Its always tempting to go with the Center when there is other talent out there. If I was a GM that year with Oden and Durant would be in the back of my mind. You pass on Durant for Oden and looking back it must kill Portland that Oden gave them nothing and Durant is a top 5 player right now.

Sure but there is no Kevin Durant out there this year

You draft Noel and on draft night you trade him for the best deal.

He doesn't look like the type to fill out much as he matures. He'll be lean and wiry for a long time. I'm not sure, defensively, he offers more than Thabeet, and Thabeet has the benefit of more bulk and experience. Noel's more talented, but that's going to be lost in the physicality.

How is he the consensus overall number 1 pick? Are teams just that stupid? You dont spend the first overall pick on a guy who is one dimensional and that one dimension isn't dominant. The guy has NO offensive game and in the NBA he isn't tall enough to be a dominant center..and he is a twig.

If I have the overall number one pick, Im taking a guy that has a chance to be a star...(not that there seem to be many of those this yeaer) not taking a guy who has a limited ceiling like this.

cleveland taking him would be a huge waste . Id rather gamble on the big french man..at least there is a chance he doesnt s u c k balls on offense.
I agree with you on everything ... except the limited ceiling part. Quite the opposite, I think his ceiling is extremely high, his athletic attributes are very rare ... but he just hasn't shown any signs of capitalizing on them yet and to think he'll suddenly put it together in the NBA is a risk not worthy of the #1 pick.

Athletic freaks with matching talent are rare once in a decade, once in a franchise players. Teams keep blowing draft picks trying to find one despite the fact that it's always perfectly clear who they are long before they reach the NBA.

How is he the consensus overall number 1 pick? Are teams just that stupid? You dont spend the first overall pick on a guy who is one dimensional and that one dimension isn't dominant. The guy has NO offensive game and in the NBA he isn't tall enough to be a dominant center..and he is a twig.

If I have the overall number one pick, Im taking a guy that has a chance to be a star...(not that there seem to be many of those this yeaer) not taking a guy who has a limited ceiling like this.

cleveland taking him would be a huge waste . Id rather gamble on the big french man..at least there is a chance he doesnt s u c k balls on offense.
A lot of what you describe is Dwight Howard coming out of highschool. With so few real centers in the league now, he has a chance to make an impact with his athleticism alone and he'll probably add weight. In a weak draft, there's nothing wrong with drafting an athletic big man.

The kid turned 19 last month. I'm sure he'll fill out some. Remember DC at 19?

His offense is currently a weakness, but I'd call his his shotblocking dominant, contrary to the OP. His work ethic and defense is enough to keep in the league for 15+ years. As with many of the one and doners, though, his development may take to long to fully benefit the drafting team.

If there's an all-NBA talent in this class 4-5 years from now, I'd look to Tony Snell, Tony Mitchell, McLemore, Muhammad, Oladipo, Porter and Noel.
Poppy, the problem with that thought process is that any player drafted by a small/medium sized market team that takes four years to really develop is likely just being developed for another team. They can't keep them past 4, maybe 5 years at most with the latest CBA. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Rubio and Love, for instance, will spend their primes in Minnesota. Same with the majority of other teams too. You have a good chance keeping your stars that you draft if you are a good team or in a great market. Otherwise, good chance they will go elsewhere.

A lot of what you describe is Dwight Howard coming out of highschool. With so few real centers in the league now, he has a chance to make an impact with his athleticism alone and he'll probably add weight. In a weak draft, there's nothing wrong with drafting an athletic big man.
Howard and Noel are nothing alike physically. Howard has a wide frame and was much bigger at the same age. Without the additional strength, Howard is just another dweeb without many skills. Noel is much more like Dalembert than Howard.

IMHO if you knew Noel would be as good as Chandler (All-Star and Olympian) you take him at 1 and smile all night.
Chandler blows chunks...and I'm a Knick fan. I have no idea how he got rated so high defensively. So-so defensive rebounder, not much of a shot blocker, and a swinging door on defensive help . Most NY fans would just fire him if they could dump his salary. Oh, but he does look sharp in his self designed capris...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom