What an out of control "nut job" Coach Mac was embarassing his university | Syracusefan.com

What an out of control "nut job" Coach Mac was embarassing his university

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
NOT. They just replayed a game from the 80's and there was coach Mac swearing and jawing across the field at the ECU coach calling him an Ahole amongst other choice words after he perceived wrongdoings by the other team.

The thing with Shafer is much ado about nothing. This aint tiddlywinks gang and it's always been this way. But like so many things today with 24/7 coverage, cameras in your face everywhere this type thing will be caught more often and with the sensationalistic media they'll make a big deal about it with some 10 list. I have absolutely no problem with the way this went down and am glad that we have a coach who errors on the intense side. At the same time with the reality of it having been captured on video it's good with the benefit of hindsight he made the post game statements he did to try and defuse it a bit, which shows he's also capable of being introspective and even thoughtful if one watches him speak and read the stories on him.

What he was reacting to at the end of the half had less to do with any perception of running up the score but as much or more to do with the frustration of allowing themselves, and the anger associated with finding themselves in that position to begin with, to be put in the competitive instinct position that allowed Clemson to go off the page and out of the normal box by going for the td and not the FG. I don't know yet if this coach has what it takes to be successful or not, but to call Shafer a "meathead" and to write off this coach as some are doing here after this "incident" and after only 5 games is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:
Yes! Let's face it, this was a terrible match up for us. I love having a coach who shows some fire and gets his players believing they can win. Case in point, we're down 35-7 and they played their hearts out in the 2nd half. Adjustments are needed, but not withe the passion of HCSS.

NOT. They just replayed a game from the 80's and there was coach Mac swearing and jawing across the field at the ECU coach calling him an Ahole amongst other choice words after he perceived wrongdoings by the other team.

The thing with Shafer is much ado about nothing. This aint tiddlywinks gang and it's always been this way. But like so many things today with 24/7 coverage, cameras in your face everywhere this type thing will be caught more often and with the sensationalistic media they'll make a big deal about it with some 10 list. I have absolutely no problem with the way this went down and am glad that we have a coach who errors on the intense side. At the same time it's good with the benefit of hindsight he made the post game statements he did.

What he was reacting to had less to do with any perception of running up with the score but more to do with the frustration and anger of finding themselves in that position to begin with, to go off the page and out of the normal box by going for the td and not the FG. I don't know yet if this coach has what it takes to be successful or not, but to call Shafer a "meathead" and to write off this coach as some are doing here after this "incident" and after only 5 games is beyond ridiculous.

There are a lot of things you can do in 1985 that you cannot do in 2013. You're just an old fart. ;)

Flip the script and I doubt most of the guys here would feel the same.

There are a lot of things you can do in 1985 that you cannot do in 2013. You're just an old fart. ;)

Flip the script and I doubt most of the guys here would feel the same.
yes when a coach screams f you jb with that bull zone. we all would be very understanding.

Was ECU eye gouging or taking cheap shots? Because anyone understands that really sets a coach off.

I just hate the whole situation surrounding this one. It's embarrassing on so many levels. But it is far from the end of the world, and certainly not anything to write him off over.

If (down the road, NOT right now) Shafer has a challenge holding onto his job, its that one of the key aspects of his hire was that he could continue what Marrone built. That's the kind of things that tends to give guys like him a shorter leash. Where a guy from the outside may get 4 years no matter what, a promotion hire might only get 3. Or even 2 if things really go bad.

Let's just win this weekend against a beatable team, and then we don't have to worry about it. Pretty soon it will all be part of Hambone history (until we play Jimbo). I know that I certainly don't have the energy (in my older age) to worry about coaching replacements anymore. Love the one you're with...

Coach Mac was known to have a temper. He felt bad that Navy stopped playing us, partly because of his tantrum at Annapolis.

Maybe I watch too much sports but I've seen Coach K swear up a storm and numerous coaches scream profanities in the heat of competition. I've heard commentators laugh saying things like- coach is obviously not happy, lucky coach didn't have a mike on him, I don't think we want to know what he was saying, any one lip read etc. Do I condone it - no - but I do understand it. I found it more interesting that the networks etc dwelled on it - when coach k and many other coaches would flip out the networks would flip away or pan long I assumed to protects kids watching or to avoid embarrasing the coach etc.

We're a tough crowd, last year people were all over Marrone for being so unemotional on the sideline now coach shafers' emotion is an issue. If coach shafer was constantly swearing, ranting and exhibiting out of control behavior on the sideline that would be one thing but catching his reaction and judging him on an isolated incident seems just as unfair. I imagine it wasn't total chance that they focused the cameras on him at that very moment but they knew that Swinney's decision would probably elicit a reaction. They got one. Plus coach apologized - if people want to beat him up further about it I guess I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Shafer can behave with emotions and I like that, but he has to legitimately work on his demeanor during the games. I get the tirade against Clemson because thought they were trying to run up the score and embarrass his team, but I remember the Penn State game he was nuts on the sidelines during that one. I didn't think he knew how to interact with the refs and his body demeanor was terrible that game. I am giving him a pass this entire year as he has always coached up in the box before becoming the HC this year. I like the energy he just needs to watch himself a little.

I think Shafer knew he screwed up. Lets move on.

Nothing unsportsmanlike with running a play in the first half.

you do realize scott shafer never said it was unsportsmanlike, right?

it was CLEARLY meant to embarrass our football team at home in front of our fans. And Dabo's reasoning was even more embarrassing.

It was NOT bush league, it was NOT unsportsmanlike. But it was trying to pound it down our throats (which is fine).

but it is even more fine to be intense in the moment AFTER YOU STUFF THEM. That's the point I think most people who are mad at Shafer are missing. He didnt scream you Dabo you MotherF8cker when he realized he was going for it, he yelled it AFTER the play.

I used this example yesterday. Its literally the exact same reaction I had when CJ Fair dunked on Otto Porter ( you Otto, you MF'er) becuase he and the team owned us last year. I wasnt mad at Otto Porter for trying to block it, I was intense when CJ threw down a ridiculous dunk. And I hate Georgetown.

Totally non-important incident assuming it's not an every game deal. Just gives a little flavor to the season and a fun little character to a guy most of us don't know much at all.

If he wins, it will be looked at as a symbol of how intense he is and how much pride he has in his team.

If he loses, it will be a sign that he wasn't really ready to be a head coach at this level and was in over his head.

And in either case, that observation will be exactly right. We've seen this stuff before from other coaches. It's really nothing to dwell on seriously.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/10/syracuse_coach_scott_shafer_fe_1.html

WOW. here is more of Dabo's quotes (on top of we knew if we didnt score, we'd have them pinned in their own endzone).

"We felt like we had control of the game," Swinney said. "We just didn't want to give them any chance at any momentum at all going into the half; we knew it was risk-reward.

dabo... you gave us the momentum by going for it

"Were we supposed to take a knee? We've got a whole lot of football left, and anything can happen. You saw in the third quarter when they had momentum there; there's nothing less important than the score at halftime.

WHY WOULD YOU EVER TAKE A KNEE IN THAT SITUATION?!!? again this is meant to embarrass us as syracuse fans, also the players, the coaches, and the athletic department in general. Hell, Boeheim should be pissed.

"A game is never over until the last second ticks. So I'm not taking knees in the second quarter."

WHY WOULD YOU EVER TAKE A KNEE IN THAT SITUATION?!!? AND WHO ASKED YOU TO?

WE ARE REALLY MAD AT OUR OWN COACH INSTEAD OF THIS IDIOT? WHAT WORLD AM I LIVING IN. HE IS MOCKING US.

Yeah, the knee thing is pretty goofy, I don't see that point Dabo is trying to make in any way shape or form. It was the not kicking the FG, unless Dabo isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and doesn't see that.

As soon as I learned what it was Coach Shafer did, I had to laugh at all the uproar. I was driving home from the game when I heard about the "incident". The broadcaster made it sound like there was some sort of verbal altercation with Shafer lashing out at the the other coach. Then, I saw it and realized it was a college football coach likely swearing on the sideline... during the game, and on the opposite side of the field as the other coach. Let's hire Marlee Maintlin to read the lips of coaches throughout the games. I am pretty sure they are only saying nice things and rarely swear.

I thought Shafer came off very well in that article. Said all the right things, and sounds like a cool guy. Firey and intense, but not an a-hole. Perfect combination.

Some of you guys do realize Clemson is trying to win a national title this year, don't you? There's plenty of reasons to go for it that have nothing to do with Syracuse or embarrassing your team.

Be happy you stuffed them.

Hey Lou, if we can't stop them... it's an us problem as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame Clemson at all for going for it, it's just the knee comment that doesn't make any sense to a lot of us. Who the hell would think they would take a knee?

Hey Lou, if we can't stop them... it's an us problem as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame Clemson at all for going for it, it's just the knee comment that doesn't make any sense to a lot of us. Who the hell would think they would take a knee?
as noted above this guy isnt too sharp if he's thinking the questioning of the decision has anything to do with taking of a knee vs. what it was which is questioning the point strategedy. Wish so bad they made it closer in the second half there to make it a game and have it come back to bite him in the arse. Oh well, on to NCST.

Last edited:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/10/syracuse_coach_scott_shafer_fe_1.html

WOW. here is more of Dabo's quotes (on top of we knew if we didnt score, we'd have them pinned in their own endzone).

"We felt like we had control of the game," Swinney said. "We just didn't want to give them any chance at any momentum at all going into the half; we knew it was risk-reward.

dabo... you gave us the momentum by going for it

"Were we supposed to take a knee? We've got a whole lot of football left, and anything can happen. You saw in the third quarter when they had momentum there; there's nothing less important than the score at halftime.

WHY WOULD YOU EVER TAKE A KNEE IN THAT SITUATION?!!? again this is meant to embarrass us as syracuse fans, also the players, the coaches, and the athletic department in general. Hell, Boeheim should be pissed.

"A game is never over until the last second ticks. So I'm not taking knees in the second quarter."

WHY WOULD YOU EVER TAKE A KNEE IN THAT SITUATION?!!? AND WHO ASKED YOU TO?

WE ARE REALLY MAD AT OUR OWN COACH INSTEAD OF THIS IDIOT? WHAT WORLD AM I LIVING IN. HE IS MOCKING US.

Turning this into an anti-Hambone thread is making it even more embarrassing for us. But maybe it will help people move on. For me, that starts now. Beat NC State.

As I stated in another thread, this ain't "arts and crafts" or "boondoggling", this is football. Give 'em hell Shaf!

For the record, I made this sweet keychain last night.
il_fullxfull.177107099.jpg

I thought Shafer came off very well in that article. Said all the right things, and sounds like a cool guy. Firey and intense, but not an a-hole. Perfect combination.

Some of you guys do realize Clemson is trying to win a national title this year, don't you? There's plenty of reasons to go for it that have nothing to do with Syracuse or embarrassing your team.

Be happy you stuffed them.

thats a valid and fair point. Dabo could have just stated that in his response.

and looking back on it, the fg (all things being equal) make the game 52-14. To most of the 'experts' that didnt watch the game there is an underlying value in getting to 52 vs 49. It naturally looks sexier. May not be all that significant at the end of the season, but I feel good knowing we stuffed them on 4th.

I also feel good that we wont soon forget that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom