What an out of control "nut job" Coach Mac was embarassing his university | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What an out of control "nut job" Coach Mac was embarassing his university

Hey Lou, if we can't stop them... it's an us problem as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame Clemson at all for going for it, it's just the knee comment that doesn't make any sense to a lot of us. Who the hell would think they would take a knee?

Could be hyperbole. He's saying "That's what we do. In that scenario, Clemson goes for it in that circumstance. It's still the first half, and we are going to play our game at that point. To do less in order to keep the score closer is essentially "taking a knee" and we're not going to take a knee in the first half." In other words, taking a knee is a symbolic phrase.

Alternatively, the question is kind of wierd, because SU stopped them. "So, ok, you're mad because we went for it, because that's running up the score. But if we had kicked a field goal, then we would actually have scored more points. So we ran a play that actually gave you a chance to keep points off the board, and you did, and you're mad that we didn't take the sure points and beat you by a worse margin. What do you want us to do in that situation, take a knee? We're not going to do that."

Clearly Coach Shafer upon reflection doesn't have a problem with it and said as much.

Maybe Dabo could have explained himself better, but frankly, he was probably surprised that this even came up as an issue. This is the way it's done these days, otherwise Baylor and Oregon would have subs in before the end of the first quarter. He probably didn't put much thought into it because it shouldn't even be a controversy.

I see...taking a knee is akin to kicking the FG, a kind of giving in. I get it, thanks.

I see...taking a knee is akin to kicking the FG, a kind of giving in. I get it, thanks.

Dabo is his own kind of cat, so you never know for sure, but that's how I took it.

For the record, I made this sweet keychain last night.
il_fullxfull.177107099.jpg

The frustration of boondoggling makes me explode in rage, but that's just me. :)

Love coach Shafer...this is not knitting or chess, it's football! I would love to have a dollar for every time I heard Dan Marino drop an F-Bomb or used "colorful" language that was picked up by a mic during a game. I would be a rich man.

For those of you that said "...Oh no, the children heard that!?"...please, they talk like that is the 4th grade these days.

I would love to have the perfect audio of the situation so I could play it on an endless loop.

I am also glad that I am not mic'd up at work...would be way worse than this.

If you don't want to hear that stuff, go rake leaves.

Love coach Shafer...this is not knitting or chess, it's football! I would love to have a dollar for every time I heard Dan Marino drop an F-Bomb or used "colorful" language that was picked up by a mic during a game. I would be a rich man.

For those of you that said "...Oh no, the children heard that!?"...please, they talk like that is the 4th grade these days.

I would love to have the perfect audio of the situation so I could play it on an endless loop.

Good lord, the language itself isn't the issue.

S0...instead if he said "...you Gosh darn Mother Lovin' Son of a gun" on national TV, we would still be having this conversation?

Not buying it.

He is fiery, love it! Sorry, it's the way I feel.

I was at the game and haven't watched a replay -- but if the expletives in question came after the 4th-down-stop (as someone -- Cuseregular? -- pointed out) I go from (admittedly a Shafer defender) "Coach, you shouldn't have" to "damn straight."

Edit: And that's regardless of the actual language (not including bigoted remarks).

I guess I just don't get it. SS did what any emotional coach would do. As long as he can control it too, who cares. It's nice to see some spunk, but more important I want to see results.

I'm glad I don't work with you

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

S0...instead if he said "...you Gosh darn Mother Lovin' Son of a gun" on national TV, we would still be having this conversation?

Not buying it.

He is fiery, love it! Sorry, it's the way I feel.

You can't spew that directly at the opposing HC, just can't. Shafer knows that, that's why he apologized, both in the presser and in a clear the air in the Clemson lockerroom after the game.

If he gave it a Fing A Boys! as the defense came off the field, no problem, but you can't verbally assault the opposing HC. It's ridiculous.

You can't spew that directly at the opposing HC, just can't. Shafer knows that, that's why he apologized, both in the presser and in a clear the air in the Clemson lockerroom after the game.

If he gave it a Fing A Boys! as the defense came off the field, no problem, but you can't verbally assault the opposing HC. It's ridiculous.
LOL. He was more than 50 yards away from the other coach who knew nothing about it until after the game. The opposing coach has still never heard what Shafer said because there is no audio of it. I hardly call that "directly at the opposing HC" and it is certainly not a "verbal assault". He apologized because the media made a big deal about it and he was likely embarrassed at how it came off on TV and the fact that, apparently, his lips could be read.

LOL. He was more than 50 yards away from the other coach who knew nothing about it until after the game. The opposing coach has still never heard what Shafer said because there is no audio of it. I hardly call that "directly at the opposing HC" and it is certainly not a "verbal assault". He apologized because the media made a big deal about it and he was likely embarrassed at how it came off on TV and the fact that, apparently, his lips could be read.

Guess what, if it was picked up on TV, and it's obvious what was said and who it was directed at, then that's what happened, even if Sweeney didn't see or hear it. You can't do that. Stop excusing the behavior, he needs to turn it down a couple of notches.

Guess what, if it was picked up on TV, and it's obvious what was said and who it was directed at, then that's what happened, even if Sweeney didn't see or hear it. You can't do that. Stop excusing the behavior, he needs to turn it down a couple of notches.

It was not a "verbal assault" given he said it over 50 yards away from the subject who didn't even hear him. No excuse needed though Shafer was right to apologize for PR reasons.

I heard Gloria Allred will be representing the motherf&*ker in his lawsuit claim that he was verbally abused by our coach.

it's not just that he acts like like an idiot, it's that he acts like an idiot over someone trying to score a TD in the first half.

i know the meatheads don't like thinking about expected values, i get that. but if the other coach wants you to kick, you probably shouldn't.

it's like shafer thought dabo broke some code. there's no code in the first half.

it's not just that he acts like like an idiot, it's that he acts like an idiot over someone trying to score a TD in the first half.

i know the meatheads don't like thinking about expected values, i get that. but if the other coach wants you to kick, you probably shouldn't.

it's like shafer thought dabo broke some code. there's no code in the first half.

I get getting excited over a goaline stand, he should, they did a great job, but don't get pissed because they went for it. Get pissed at your bud for almost giving up 6 TD's in a half, not the guy on the other sideline.

He was excited about a stop and said (using different words) "in your face" AFTER his team stopped the other.

I get getting excited over a goaline stand, he should, they did a great job, but don't get pissed because they went for it. Get pissed at your bud for almost giving up 6 TD's in a half, not the guy on the other sideline.
i really can't believe i'm waiting for another bullough to get fired. hopefully it works out as well as it did the last time my team replaced a bullough

now i gotta go find some of hank bullough's quotes. the best ones i can remember are a reference to the bills work "ethnic" and something about taking the sails out of our winds.

He was excited about a stop and said (using different words) "in your face" AFTER his team stopped the other.
In the midst of a blow out, the excessive emotion by Shafer (and Bromley & Whigham) gives more hope for the rest of the season.

Apparently you can ...because I watched it on the replay. Is there some code that you can't talk smack to other coaches in football?

Verbal assault is not what that was, just some smack talking. If Dabo didn't like it he can coach the full contact underwater knitting team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom