What coaches are really feasible? | Syracusefan.com

What coaches are really feasible?

GooseMutt

All Conference
Total respect for Boeheim but days are numbered. hop absolutely deserves 3-4 years to implement his program. But as we have occasional discussions about other ideal coaches to consider, which are really feasible? No way Wright, a philly guy, is ever going anywhere other than maybe NBA someday. Why would Bennett leave? Smart. I don't know. Who are real candidates that could springboard us into a new era?

Doesn't Smart have a losing record at Texas this year and make a round 3m a year. I'm excited to see what Hopkins can do with full control.

We have a coach when JB retires. It has been reported ad nauseam for the past four years. But to play along with your game ... in the unlikely event Mike Hopkins decides to do something else ... I would seriously consider Chris Collins at Northwestern. He has been doing a fabulous job there, taking the Big 10's all-time doormat (the only P-5 team NEVER to get an NCAA bid) to significant respectability this year: 16-4 overall; 5-2 in the B10, and a ranking just outside the top 25.

Also, for several years, he was Coach K's top assistant and top recruiter.

(And I am sure he is not making much money at Northwestern, a school not known for supporting its basketball program).

Last edited:
We have a coach when JB retires. It has been reported ad nauseam for the past four years. But to play along with your game ... in the unlikely event Mike Hopkins decides to do something else ... I would seriously consider Chris Collins at Northwestern. He has been doing a fabulous job there, taking the Big 10's all-time doormat (and the only P-5 team NEVER to get an NCAA bid) to significant respectability this year: 16-4 overall; 5-2 in the B10, and a ranking just outside the top 25. Also, for several years, he was Coach K's top assistant and top recruiter.

Agreed with the Hop part but it's also nice to see a realistic person named instead of the names that have been mentioned the past few months/years.

We have a coach when JB retires. It has been reported ad nauseam for the past four years. But to play along with your game ... in the unlikely event Mike Hopkins decides to do something else ... I would seriously consider Chris Collins at Northwestern. He has been doing a fabulous job there, taking the Big 10's all-time doormat (and the only P-5 team NEVER to get an NCAA bid) to significant respectability this year: 16-4 overall; 5-2 in the B10, and a ranking just outside the top 25. Also, for several years, he was Coach K's top assistant and top recruiter. (And I am sure he is not making much money at Northwestern, a school not known for supporting its basketball program).
I agree with your assessment and for the record I truly believe Hop has what it takes but just interested about other options if necessary. Anyone coming in behind Bieheim has huge shoes to fill and won't be easy for anyone. Hopefully our fan base stands behind whoever it may be

Reactions: cto
We have a coach when JB retires. It has been reported ad nauseam for the past four years. But to play along with your game ... in the unlikely event Mike Hopkins decides to do something else ... I would seriously consider Chris Collins at Northwestern. He has been doing a fabulous job there, taking the Big 10's all-time doormat (and the only P-5 team NEVER to get an NCAA bid) to significant respectability this year: 16-4 overall; 5-2 in the B10, and a ranking just outside the top 25. Also, for several years, he was Coach K's top assistant and top recruiter. (And I am sure he is not making much money at Northwestern, a school not known for supporting its basketball program).

I like Chris, and Northwestern is an almost impossible place to win at, but one of these days he has to get over that hump, this could be the year, we will see.

I was just on Northwestern campus right before New Year's. It's amazing and they have some crazy new modern behemoth buildings there now. Collins is interesting. I'd like to see him get that first bid in school history. He probably will but they can't slip up moving forward. If he could get some local ballers to stay home who have the grades then they could be a force moving forward. No reason why Vanderbilt should be more successful than Northwestern in general.

I like Collins and based on timing (4-5 years from now) Smart could be possible

I think someone like Billy Donovan would be the best/biggest catch we would get. New York guy, would want to get back into college, etc. Would be plausible.

After that I think we'd be looking at guys like Buzz Williams, etc. Successful coaches but not big names like a Jay Wright. If the day comes, I think we would be underwhelmed at the coaches that would actually leave their school to come here. So, for now, in Hopkins we trust.

Remember this name, Kevin Keatts, UNC-Wilmington head coach. I have been to multiple organized events, UNCW home games and met him in person. This guy is the real deal. He is going to be a hot commodity in the next 4 years, love his style of play and his demeanor. IMO he would be a perfect fit at a program like Syracuse if the AD decided on a different route other than Hop. And he falls from the Rick Pitino coaching tree.

Remember this name, Kevin Keatts, UNC-Wilmington head coach. I have been to multiple organized events, UNCW home games and met him in person. This guy is the real deal. He is going to be a hot commodity in the next 4 years, love his style of play and his demeanor. IMO he would be a perfect fit at a program like Syracuse if the AD decided on a different route other than Hop. And he falls from the Rick Pitino coaching tree.

Which means he falls from the JB coaching tree.

Reaches: Fred Hoiberg, Gregg Marshall, Shaka Smart, Billy Donovan
Realistic: Buzz, Chris Holtmann, Chris Mack, Archie Miller, Wojo (gag)

We have a coach when JB retires. It has been reported ad nauseam for the past four years. But to play along with your game ... in the unlikely event Mike Hopkins decides to do something else ... I would seriously consider Chris Collins at Northwestern. He has been doing a fabulous job there, taking the Big 10's all-time doormat (the only P-5 team NEVER to get an NCAA bid) to significant respectability this year: 16-4 overall; 5-2 in the B10, and a ranking just outside the top 25.

(And I am sure he is not making much money at Northwestern, a school not known for supporting its basketball program).

I really hope Northwestern gets over the hump and makes the tournament this year. Every fan base deserves to see their team get there at least one time! I can't imagine never making it there as a school in a major conference. That being said, Collins would be an interesting selection. I'll be interested to see if they can finish the deal this year before I can really get excited about supporting him. If I haven't been on record before, I am now that I would prefer a coach with head coaching experience, and ideally someone who has been successful for a few years, but I understand the plan for Hop is in place. NKR just mentioned him, and I really like Chris Mack of Xavier as someone who I would think would be realistic. He's done a really good job continuing the success Sean Miller started.

McDermott at Creighton. We are obviously a better basketball school, and that guy wins every year. Consistent Top 25 or lingering around there.

McDermott at Creighton. We are obviously a better basketball school, and that guy wins every year. Consistent Top 25 or lingering around there.

I hesitate to fully endorse McDermott. He's done a nice job at Creighton, helped in part by he and his wife's baby-making skills. But I really wasn't impressed at all when he jumped up a level with his 4 years at Iowa State. But coaches can get better and Creighton is having a great year.

Would Andy Enfield coach in a cold environment? He was born almost 300 miles directly south of Syracuse in Pennsylvania. So maybe that is promising.

Last edited:

I was also going to mention Keatts as well. Although I can see him at NC State soon...

Northwestern is spending $110+ million to renovate their arena, which is really a big fieldhouse/gym. Kinda like Manley or the Rac.

Archie Miller's been the guy I've wanted for awhile. Collins isn't leaving Northwestern. He grew up in Chicago and is committed to building a successful program there. He'd only leave for Duke IMO.

3670A489-7CAE-4B9C-85D3-7E6C075ABA9B-207-0000000468D667F1_tmp.jpg 4BC2030D-E588-4EBB-9E81-4201F9FD07FD-207-000000045571A356_tmp.jpg

Northwestern is spending $110+ million to renovate their arena, which is really a big fieldhouse/gym. Kinda like Manley or the Rac.

Yup. The new School of Music/Communication/Dance is crazy. It's hands down the best facility of it's kind in the country right now.

View attachment 87846 View attachment 87848

Yup. The new School of Music/Communication/Dance is crazy. It's hands down the best facility of it's kind in the country right now.
I work about a block from Northwestern. I ride my bike around that building 3x's a week. From the outside, they did a fantastic job with it. Completely fits with the campus on the front side, and with the lakefront on the back. From a distance the backside looks like a ship easing through the water and when you are up close the glass paneling blends with the lake and skyline so you don't even notice how big it is.
I've been riding my bike up there for about 10-more years than that building has been there, and honestly unless you consciously remind yourself it's there, you never realize how large it is.
There are two small things I don't like about it. 1) they replaced the beachfront prairie grass with sod. 2) All of the kids who used to practice their music outside the old building have now moved inside. My life is a lot less full now that I am not getting serenaded with "wa-wa" trombones every time I go by.

Assistant Coach from Ohio State, his name is Greg Paulus. The Quarterback!