What has Tillman done at a $150,000 base salary for 7 years | Syracusefan.com

What has Tillman done at a $150,000 base salary for 7 years

retro44

Living Legend
that Desko can't do. Times have changed as Tillman is pulling in top ranked classes and the 6 nation players are avoiding 'cuse like the black plague. When the OCC head coach and Desko only communicate by the way of assistants you know there is a major problem and every one blames Desko for this total lack of communication.The days of making the final 4 appear to be over for Desko.

Tillman started out at Ithaca and navy as an assistant and then on to Harvard as a head coach for a few years and then off to Marland for a bargain. Hell Gross has water boys earning more than Tillman's base salary.

Legacy and the likes need to end and time for Syracuse to catch up because recruits are not blind to see what is going on.Other teams take the game serious and Desko allows double keggars before tournament games.

Desko wants to be known for making Lax a national sport at the expense of ignoring top local talent that has numerous local high school coaches shaking their heads.

AD or no AD things need to change and it has to start at the very top.Another memorial weekend cutting the grass at anytime you choose to do.

You can try to rip me if you can,but I know way too many local people who have a pulse on the sport locally and my younger brother who not only has a ring,but also was a ref until knee problems took over.

Desko should recruit better but the guy has 5 NCs. Tillman has made 5 final fours which is impressive in 7 years. However the guy has zero NCs.
Syracuse, Hopkins, Maryland, Virginia are probably the top 4 jobs in Lax.
This year's team just wasn't NC good. They were probably underseeded in this tourney but Maryland was the clear better team.
Desko doesn't have many years left so unless the team struggles to make the tourney he shouldn't be pushed out.

Other than the Thompsons who were the great local talents that Desko has missed out on that would have had national championship implications? There was that d-man from West Genny that played for Loyola and Glesener as well. Rice, Donahue, Mellen, Firman, the player that Evans was projected to be- I mean hasn't Desko pretty much gotten the best players from Section 3 along with the best players from OCC?...I think there have been problems with recruiting recently and some questionable staff decisions but I don't know that I would point to failing with the local players as the most pressing issue unless I am really missing something.

that Desko can't do. Times have changed as Tillman is pulling in top ranked classes and the 6 nation players are avoiding 'cuse like the black plague. When the OCC head coach and Desko only communicate by the way of assistants you know there is a major problem and every one blames Desko for this total lack of communication.The days of making the final 4 appear to be over for Desko.

Tillman started out at Ithaca and navy as an assistant and then on to Harvard as a head coach for a few years and then off to Marland for a bargain. Hell Gross has water boys earning more than Tillman's base salary.

Legacy and the likes need to end and time for Syracuse to catch up because recruits are not blind to see what is going on.Other teams take the game serious and Desko allows double keggars before tournament games.

Desko wants to be known for making Lax a national sport at the expense of ignoring top local talent that has numerous local high school coaches shaking their heads.

AD or no AD things need to change and it has to start at the very top.Another memorial weekend cutting the grass at anytime you choose to do.

You can try to rip me if you can,but I know way too many local people who have a pulse on the sport locally and my younger brother who not only has a ring,but also was a ref until knee problems took over.

Other than the Thompsons who were the great local talents that Desko has missed out on that would have had national championship implications? There was that d-man from West Genny that played for Loyola and Glesener as well. Rice, Donahue, Mellen, Firman, the player that Evans was projected to be- I mean hasn't Desko pretty much gotten the best players from Section 3 along with the best players from OCC?...I think there have been problems with recruiting recently and some questionable staff decisions but I don't know that I would point to failing with the local players as the most pressing issue unless I am really missing something.
My thoughts too. No one is happy with losing, but if the sky is falling because we make the quarters, then we are still in a really good place. If we were in UVAs place, or as irrelevant as Princeton has become, then I could see the overhaul some have requested.

Just going to say, why does the parity effect Syracuse but not Maryland or even ND for that matter MD with 5 final fours in 6 years, Tillman isn't having problems with the parity and Desko is, done giving him a pass with the "parity" excuse.

Just going to say, why does the parity effect Syracuse but not Maryland or even ND for that matter MD with 5 final fours in 6 years, Tillman isn't having problems with the parity and Desko is, done giving him a pass with the "parity" excuse.
Maryland hasn't won an NC in 41 years, and ND never has. Thats the parity.

It isn't Desko.
We lost a fluke 1 goal game last year to Hopkins in the QF as a 2 seed.
2 years ago we gagged to Bryant as a 2 seed
2013 we lost the NC game to Duke as a 1 seed.
2012 was a bad year and the AQ saved us.
2011 Tillman should have been arrested for what he did to Lacrosse that day with the stalling. UMD won in OT and were the 1 seed.
2010 we gagged again at home versus Army as a 2 seed.
2008 and 2009 were NC seasons. we have been
Since 2009
we have been 1 seed 2 times
2 seed 3 times
8 seed 1 time
unseeded 1 time.

The gags in 2010 and 2014 make[people angry.
2013 we couldn't win at the X that cost us a title
Last year we lost a fluke great game to Hopkins or we play Denver for the title.
2011 Tillman/Maryland embarrassed the sport with that gameplan. That game should example 1 for today's 30 second shot clock.

Maryland hasn't won an NC in 41 years, and ND never has. Thats the parity.

I am a lot more worried about the future that what has happened in the past.....Trends tell a lot going forward.

Syracuse football in this century proves a lot about the future worries. '59 was too long ago

Recruiting is certainly an issue though. We are so consumed with recruiting nationally that local players, specifically the Rochester area we are missing out on a very large scale.

Victor is arguably the best team in the nation 2 years running and we have been only able to secure a commitment from Trimboli, while several of his teammates are off to Loyola and Virginia among others. The Rochester area on the whole is playing tremendous lacrosse and with Sweetlax having a team comprised off Rochester talent it will only improve. I have bias because my son is a member of a Sweetlax club team but they are quickly becoming the premier club in the region, perhaps nationally, and Syracuse needs to improve on their ability to pull players out of the program.

A previous poster mentioned there wasn't a local talent that we missed on that would have made a difference and I couldn't disagree more. Ben Reeves from Yale, Tewaarton finalist, came from an hour down the road at Pal-Mac. The kid was only the 3rd highest point scorer in NYS history and received almost no attention from Desko and staff.

Last edited:

gfMOjrV.gif

I am a lot more worried about the future that what has happened in the past...Trends tell a lot going forward.

Syracuse football in this century proves a lot about the future worries. '59 was too long ago
Lax is no where near the situation football has become. We can just go ahead and forget about winning an NC in football in our lifetime. There is no talent in NYS football, and it is marginal at best in any of the northern states. All of the talent is in the south. Outside of Ohio State, every northern school has taken a step down from 20 years ago.

I get the frustration though. But its not as desperate as some make it out to be.

Desko and staff have had problems pulling kids from Rochester. I am not completely sure what the reasons have been although I think sometimes it has been due to questionable talent evaluation. Also, more often than not, SU is not the dream lax school for kids from Rochester and Buffalo that it has often been for kids from Section 3. In any case, I don't think the original poster had Rochester in mind when he was reflecting on the recruiting of locals.

Recruiting is certainly an issue though. We are so consumed with recruiting nationally that local players, specifically the Rochester area we are missing out on a very large scale.

Victor is arguably the best team in the nation 2 years running and we have been only able to secure a commitment from Trimboli, while several of his teammates are off to Loyola and Virginia among others. The Rochester area on the whole is playing tremendous lacrosse and with Sweetlax having a team comprised off Rochester talent it will only improve. I have bias because my son is a member of a Sweetlax club team but they are quickly becoming the premier club in the region, perhaps nationally, and Syracuse needs to improve on their ability to pull players out of the program.

A previous poster mentioned there wasn't a local talent that we missed on that would have made a difference and I couldn't disagree more. Ben Reeves from Yale, Tewaarton finalist, came from an hour down the road at Pal-Mac. The kid was only the 3rd highest point scorer in NYS history and received almost no attention from Desko and staff.

Maryland hasn't won a NC in 41 years.

North Carolina is appearing in the Final 4 for the first time on 20 years.

Brown has only been in the Final 4 twice. The last time was 22 years ago.

Loyola has a decent history and has been a good program lately.

No one is dominating anymore.

Maryland hasn't won a NC in 41 years.

North Carolina is appearing in the Final 4 for the first time on 20 years.

Brown has only been in the Final 4 twice. The last time was 22 years ago.

Loyola has a decent history and has been a good program lately.

No one is dominating anymore.
Excellent post. No one is happy SU isn't in championship weekend, but the fact is it is harder than ever to win in this sport, and no one is immune. 90% of the pundits had a Denver-ND title game, and neither are in the Final Four. Duke is the poster child for new bloods, and was on top of the world after b2b NCs in '14. They are trending in a nearly identical path as us since we won b2b in '09, and at best will have gone 3 years between NCAA tourney wins, should they make it to the quarters next year.

I often wonder what it feels like to be a UCLA basketball fan. They owned the NCAA for years. When was the last time they went to the final four?

I miss the 22 year streak but am glad to think that it likely won't be repeated in our lifetimes. What is the longest now? Maryland?

I often wonder what it feels like to be a UCLA basketball fan. They owned the NCAA for years. When was the last time they went to the final four?

I miss the 22 year streak but am glad to think that it likely won't be repeated in our lifetimes. What is the longest now? Maryland?

UCLA men's hoops made 3 consecutive final fours in the 2000's, the last one in 2008

Is Gaits salary 5X what Tillman earns? Screw the past,we need to worry about the future.

Is Gaits salary 5X what Tillman earns? Screw the past,we need to worry about the future.
Yep, but he is 1-9 against Maryland, so that's gotta count for some extra dough ;)

In all seriousness, he has the greatest player SU women's lax has ever had as a senior, and has lost to MD the last 3 years in either the championship or FF. Seems like he's gotta find a way to beat them soon. All the money, he needs a championship. 5 FF are fantastic, but he was the 4th highest paid coach at the school in 2014. It's time to win it all.

Yep, but he is 1-9 against Maryland, so that's gotta count for some extra dough ;)

In all seriousness, he has the greatest player SU women's lax has ever had as a senior, and has lost to MD the last 3 years in either the championship or FF. Seems like he's gotta find a way to beat them soon. All the money, he needs a championship. 5 FF are fantastic, but he was the 4th highest paid coach at the school in 2014. It's time to win it all.
SU women's lax was nothing before he took the reigns . He should be the men's coach .

SU women's lax was nothing before he took the reigns . He should be the men's coach .
Not saying he wouldn't be a great men's coach, but he has never actually coached D1 mens, he's been a women's coach forever. You'd also be replacing a guy with 5 championships for a guy with none (as a head coach), even at the women's level. He's done a solid job with the women's team, no doubt. He would live off name credibility for a while, and perhaps help us have one of the more explosive and fun offenses out there. If he can somehow get this team over the MD wall this weekend, then it becomes a much more interesting conversation to me. Gonna be very difficult though.

Not saying he wouldn't be a great men's coach, but he has never actually coached D1 mens, he's been a women's coach forever. You'd also be replacing a guy with 5 championships for a guy with none (as a head coach), even at the women's level. He's done a solid job with the women's team, no doubt. He would live off name credibility for a while, and perhaps help us have one of the more explosive and fun offenses out there. If he can somehow get this team over the MD wall this weekend, then it becomes a much more interesting conversation to me. Gonna be very difficult though.
GG can coach at any level of lacrosse , he has played . studied and coached his entire life . Desko has been a great coach , but the team coming out flat 2 games in a row during the tourny was a real low for that program.

Yah...5 championships a generation ago.

If he was a sales guy, he would be out on his A$$ in a heartbeat.

Who is living off their past credibility? Who is doing that?

Yah...5 championships a generation ago.

If he was a sales guy, he would be out on his A$$ in a heartbeat.

Who is living off their past credibility? Who is doing that?
7 years ago. I am not defending Desko, but besides Duke, not sure anyone has been markedly "better" over the last 10 years than Cuse. 6 of those seven years have had conference championships. Only 1 FF though, which I get stinks for a program like cuse. Tough to fire a guy like that. Again, not stating my preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom