What I expect at this point… | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

Didn't have room for Huerter and asked him to prep for a year. We were under scholarship restrictions back then.

Huerter chose to commit to Maryland instead.

And Malachi went pro after a year, so we would have had room after all.
We still had room though. We ended up getting Gillon and White that summer. They were good players, but Huerter would have set us up to have a better season in 2018. I realize we went to the Sweet 16, but he was the missing piece on that team. It’s just one example how we’ve mismanaged the roster over the past 7 or 8 years. That recruitment should have been a formality.

We still had room though. We ended up getting Gillon and White that summer. They were good players, but Huerter would have set us up to have a better season in 2018. I realize we went to the Sweet 16, but he was the missing piece on that team. It’s just one example how we’ve mismanaged the roster over the past 7 or 8 years. That recruitment should have been a formality.

We got Gillon and White in the Summer of 2016.

After Richardson went pro and Kaleb Joseph transferred.

Huerter committed to Maryland in Sept 2015.

Malachi was never going pro until his NCAA tournament. He exploded and bolted
And it wasn’t even the entire tournament. It was one game. He shot 4-21 in the two previous tournament games prior to Virginia. When people tell me NBA scouts aren’t dumb I will always point to that. He and Cooney had the same numbers that season.

Ahh I had my timelines wrong. I still believe we should’ve taken him and let it work itself out. We ran off BJ Johnson as well. He would’ve helped those teams quite a bit too.

Ahh I had my timelines wrong. I still believe we should’ve taken him and let it work itself out. We ran off BJ Johnson as well. He would’ve helped those teams quite a bit too.
Was it “running off” a player when he was supposed to be a 3pt shooter and he shot 26% from 3 his sophomore year?

Was it “running off” a player when he was supposed to be a 3pt shooter and he shot 26% from 3 his sophomore year?
Everyone knew he was young for his class, and was a player who needed to develop, but had a lot of potential.

Sucks that he realized it elsewhere. He would’ve been a perfect fit for Cuse as a junior/senior.

Everyone knew he was young for his class, and was a player who needed to develop, but had a lot of potential.

Sucks that he realized it elsewhere. He would’ve been a perfect fit for Cuse as a junior/senior.
Think his father stated that as well when he was a regular on this forum. Seems like it was a choice to redshirt here and build his body, or transfer down and continue to play and get to his dream a little faster. Got to the NBA and had a cup of coffee four straight years so the decision worked out for him.

Think his father stated that as well when he was a regular on this forum. Seems like it was a choice to redshirt here and build his body, or transfer down and continue to play and get to his dream a little faster. Got to the NBA and had a cup of coffee four straight years so the decision worked out for him.
He actually sat out a year before playing for LaSalle. Entered NBA at same time as if he red shirted at SU.

The board will call for freshman to get run off because they’re not good enough in their first year, but a guy struggles mightily for two years (and only gets the benefit of the doubt because he played better at a low major school) and the coaches should’ve given him some slack…

It’s wild how drastically history is rewritten.

The board will call for freshman to get run off because they’re not good enough if their first year, but a guy struggles mightily for two years (and then gets the benefit of hindsight because he played better at a low major school) and the coaches should’ve given him some slack.

It’s wild how quickly narratives change

Look, I know you’re doing the thing you do in the game threads(fighting “the board”), but I’m just one guy giving my opinion. I speak for me.

I didn’t say a word about the coaches, I said it sucks that BJ didn’t blossom here, and did it elsewhere.

The board will call for freshman to get run off because they’re not good enough in their first year, but a guy struggles mightily for two years (and only gets the benefit of the doubt because he played better at a low major school) and the coaches should’ve given him some slack…

“History rewritten”….now you’re just making stuff up.

My BJ Johnson takes never changed.

We were recruiting him in spring/summer 2015 but our coaches (likely JB) seemed to decide we were gonna have too many guards on the roster the following season with the scholarship restrictions. My feeling at the time was: You don’t pass up a player like Huerter with the size and skill set he had (elite shooting and developing PG skills) and the family being from nearby. Kaleb Joseph or Frank Howard would have ended up the odd man out, and one of them likely transfers after the season once everything shakes out. Someone always does. There’s always player movement, even back then. Turns out Joseph did transfer even without us signing Huerter.

Who was the board calling to get run off?

We were recruiting him in spring/summer 2015 but our coaches (likely JB) seemed to decide we were gonna have too many guards on the roster the following season with the scholarship restrictions. My feeling at the time was: You don’t pass up a player like Huerter with the size and skill set he had (elite shooting and developing PG skills) and the family being from nearby. Kaleb Joseph or Frank Howard would have ended up the odd man out, and one of them likely transfers after the season once everything shakes out. Someone always does. There’s always player movement, even back then. Turns out Joseph did transfer even without us signing Huerter.
Would Huerter's time here conflicted with Buddy's?

Would Huerter's time here conflicted with Buddy's?

Not likely.

Huerter was 2 and done.
IIRC.

Maybe the 1 year overlap, but then Buddy’s Frosh year woulda been him a deep bench guy, as he should’ve been at that stage.

BJ probably doesn't make that decision if he knows the starting SF in front of him would play PG nearly every minute he was on the court the upcoming season.

BJ and Southerland redshirts would have done wonders for us.

Not likely.

Huerter was 2 and done.
IIRC.

Maybe the 1 year overlap, but then Buddy’s Frosh year woulda been him a deep bench guy, as he should’ve been at that stage.

Im nit sure ppl thought buddy was a cuse level player when hueter was being recruited

Neither was Z Sims for his first four years, but you need system guys at the end of the bench, too. There was so much churn from 2013 to present. I think the '90s post-probation teams benefited from the relative stability.
Disagree on Sims. Don’t know why JB didn’t give him more run early. SU stayed away from Michael Brown (CNS/Providence) because they had Z and Anthony Harris. JB told Brown’s HS coach that he had an all league backcourt already.
Z always, ALWAYS made the right pass.
Edit: I liked him more than Lloyd. I can’t remember the local sports call in show then, but if you could find the tape, you would here me proclaim that SU would be better that year with Sims than they would have been with Lloyd.

Last edited:
“History rewritten”….now you’re just making stuff up.

My BJ Johnson takes never changed.
If you thought BJ was a high major player in early 2015 then that’s your choice, it’s a wrong one but your choice none the less

If you thought BJ was a high major player in early 2015 then that’s your choice, it’s a wrong one but your choice none the less
Like I said earlier - he was young for his grade and needed to develop, and I thought he’d be good as an upperclassman.

So did many here.

Stop acting like an idiot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors