What I expect at this point… | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

My fear with an alum is that he becomes just as hard to fire as JB was. If we continue with the mediocrity I can see arguments of "oh, we let JB coach for 9 years with mediocre regular seasons before he was pushed out, we can't just fire Red after 3 years."
I think that's not fair to JB. JB is not just an alumnus... he's a HoF coach whose name is on the court. You give a guy with that resume a LOT more leeway than just an alumnus.

The general consensus on the board is that a hoops program can be turned around in one year... in fact I believe there is a thread on page one asserting how. If that's the case what harm is there in letting Red get a shot? If he bombs out the next coach can turn it around in a year right?

The positive is if it works out Red turning around Syracuse is the story of the season... get ready for a lot of "sleeping giant awakens" stories.

I can't wait to see what happens in recruiting over the next several months between our favorite NIL sponsor and a new energy from coaches.
Agreed. If Red doesn’t work out, we know the next search will 100% be external and hopefully at that time, there is a more natural pairing out there. I think most can admit there wasn’t an “obvious” candidate out there for us.

If Red works, great. If not, it’ll be a national search in 3-4 years

This would be a fairy tale transition if Hop had continued winning in Washington (at least making the NCAAs) and evolved to use a mix of m2m and zone. But, alas, life.

Is there any world where the players already know? The effort Saturday was night and day from other games. I had pleasure of sitting in some nice seats and it was amazing to see how active we were on D compared to other games. Maybe it was just the opponent but length in the middle, between Judah and Jesse, was a pleasure to see at times.
1. 2003 anniversary festivities
2. Melo the hype man
3. Senior Day
4. Edwards’ parents in person

We knew people would piss and moan if it was Red or Gerry, but if they win people will forget very shortly.

The facts are unless you get a ringer it's just as likely an outside coach would fail or succeed. And if an outside coach bombed in year one like Kenny Payne has we would want them gone too just like Louisville does.

So from 2008-11 VT with Autry as an assistant they never made it to the NCAA but made it to 4 NITs. From 2011-Present Syracuse has had 10+ losses in 9 of the last 12 seasons. I just don't know man. Doesn't give me confidence.

Got the feeling from Gerry's speech that it seemed like a Thank You to the 315 prior to an exit. Makes sense you think he will not be here next year.

For those close to the program. Would Josh Pace ever make a switch to the mens' game? As far as X's and O's I think the womens' game runs more sets due to necessity when compared to the men.
Yeah lots of goodbyes

We knew people would piss and moan if it was Red or Gerry, but if they win people will forget very shortly.

The facts are unless you get a ringer it's just as likely an outside coach would fail or succeed. And if an outside coach bombed in year one like Kenny Payne has we would want them gone too just like Louisville does.
Red will win here. As would Gmac.

So from 2008-11 VT with Autry as an assistant they never made it to the NCAA but made it to 4 NITs. From 2011-Present Syracuse has had 10+ losses in 9 of the last 12 seasons. I just don't know man. Doesn't give me confidence.
Or 2 final fours, 3 elite eights, and 5 sweet 16s over the same time frame. There’s a team in there that didn’t hit any of those milestones that was #1 in the nation. Let’s not act like he hasn’t been around success. I know we’re acting like it’s the end of the world but let’s remember we’re not that far from being a truly elite program.

Our assistants have been recruiting w/ one hand tied behind their backs.

In what way specifically that prevents Red from having almost no impact recruiting the school and conference he was an assistant at? But will magically become a recruiting hotbed for us if he becomes the HC. Most of the best recruiters at schools aren’t the HC. So why can’t he recruit there successfully now but will be able to next week?

So as for a national search who would make the short list?

Cooley ( coaching where he is from..)
Boynton (recruiting well but hasn't done much of note winning wise)
Red

Who else?

IF Red I’m surprised at Benny leaving - wasn’t his AAU coach in Reds wedding or something like that? Red seems to have a lot invested in Benny and they seem close - if JB stays 100% agree.

Also surprised about GMAC unless JB told him he really has to go and do his thing if he’s not getting HC here
Seems a lot of the younger players are close to GMAC.

I think that's not fair to JB. JB is not just an alumnus... he's a HoF coach whose name is on the court. You give a guy with that resume a LOT more leeway than just an alumnus.
He has already been given a lot more leeway - a lot, lot more.

Red

Who else?
The Cooley, Wright, Oats, Donovan posts(there's more) through the years drove me absolutely nuts. None of those guys were ever coming here even if JB was winning 30 games and retired circa 2013.

Last edited:
The Cooley, Wright, Oats, Donovan posts(there's more) through the years drove me absolutely nuts. None of those guys were ever coming here even if JB was winning 30 games and retired in circa 2013.

Yep... which is the semi point I was trying to make. Who is on a short list and also realistic...

Red

Who else?
I wouldn’t normally think we had a chance but there’s a bit of a power vacuum in the conference that could be attractive to someone like Jay Wright. The right program could be top of the conference. He could wait and go the the pros and not have to play the nil games, though. Can’t imagine that’s attractive to those with fantastic options.

Red

Who else?

You have been in and out of all these threads recently where each one turns into who we want the next coach to be and those were the three names you came up with?

It’s so we don’t miss out on the portal next week. If we hire a coach with limited coaching success right before the portal opens he’ll get us to the tournament next year.

If Red is HC then hopefully we can get Hop (assuming he gets fired at UW) to come back or add Mike Brey to the bench.

I wouldn’t normally think we had a chance but there’s a bit of a power vacuum in the conference that could be attractive to someone like Jay Wright. The right program could be top of the conference. He could wait and go the the pros and not have to play the nil games, though. Can’t imagine that’s attractive to those with fantastic options.

Big thing with Jay Wright is that there was a family thing and also he felt he just didn't have that edge anymore. I mean being rich, having 2 titles, being nationally respected, loved in Philly ( not easy to do lol) - he has accomplished so much already. Some guys don't need one more "challenge". Also not sure I want a guy who shared one of his reasons for leaving is in regard to losing that edge needed to win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom