What I expect at this point… | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

You have been in and out of all these threads recently where each one turns into who we want the next coach to be and those were the three names you came up with?

There are dozens of unrealistic names paired with others that are just as much a guess to be good here as Red. My point was if you are making a real short list... what does it look like. Not 30 possibilities...many not so hot or no chance.

The Cooley, Wright, Oats, Donovan posts(there's more) through the years drove me absolutely nuts. None of those guys were ever coming here even if JB was winning 30 games and retired in circa 2013.
Totally get it but there’s definitely some logic to us (in the retooled way) being attractive so some of those names. Oates will never have the profile at bama that he could have at a basketball-first school. Maybe that doesn’t matter and he can parlay it into a pro gig like Donovan…but maybe it does. It’s a rare time when the acc doesn’t have incumbent powers so could be a fantastic showcase on a bigger stage, if they want to stay in college for their next moves.

There are dozens of unrealistic names paired with others that are just as much a guess to be good here as Red. My point was if you are making a real short list... what does it look like. Not 30 possibilities...many not so hot or no chance.

Sean Miller
Shaka Smart
Matt Langel - Not super high on him but has a winning track record.

Those are 3 very realistic names off the top of my head with no real research or thinking.

Please no I am going to fight about Sean Miller and his past in this thread also. We have all said our peace one side or another BUT he is a strong realistic hire.

Blah no national search but lets go Red I guess.

So that means we would be projected to lose off the current team: Jesse - Joe - Mintz - Benny - Bell so the only real returners who got any minutes would be Brown and Taylor ??

If it is Red he needs to be hired ASAP. He needs to find at least 4-5 quality ACC players from the portal.
Jake specifically said that Benny and Bell transferring was simply his speculation. We really have no idea who might come back. I gotta believe that if Judah doesn’t turn pro, he will be back playing for Red.

Totally get it but there’s definitely some logic to us (in the retooled way) being attractive so some of those names. Oates will never have the profile at bama that he could have at a basketball-first school. Maybe that doesn’t matter and he can parlay it into a pro gig like Donovan…but maybe it does. It’s a rare time when the acc doesn’t have incumbent powers so could be a fantastic showcase on a bigger stage, if they want to stay in college for their next moves.

Cooley is a PC guy through and through. Oats is riding high with SEC money at a school that will never worry about the future of conferences. Donovan isn't coming back down.. he is long removed from the college game anyway. Pitino( you didn't mention I know) is right behind JB on the aging chart so that's a rental. I noted reasons against Wright in separate post.

Assuming Judah is gone, wouldn't you want to free up as many minutes as possible to lure big fish in the portal? I think way too much is made of experience given our current plight. We need a talent infusion and that's not going to happen if we put a cap on how many starting positions we can offer.
It's a fair point. I'd say I put more faith in guys getting better than I do in us pulling better dudes from the portal.

Sean Miller
Shaka Smart
Matt Langel - Not super high on him but has a winning track record.

Those are 3 very realistic names off the top of my head with no real research or thinking.

Please no I am going to fight about Sean Miller and his past in this thread also. We have all said our peace one side or another BUT he is a strong realistic hire.

Shaka has what he has been looking for at Marquette and is very happy there. I've got first hand feedback on that one. Miller is fresh off the AZ scandal stuff. I mean like what he brings but how does he make a short list? Langel I've commented on before.

Cooley is a PC guy through and through. Oats is riding high with SEC money at a school that will never worry about the future of conferences. Donovan isn't coming back down.. he is long removed from the college game anyway. Pitino( you didn't mention I know) is right behind JB on the aging chart so that's a rental. I noted reasons against Wright in separate post.
I didn’t bring up Donovan, either. Just that oats could follow his model. I’m reality, I dunno why anyone mature, ethical and fantastic at coaching would even be interested in the college game these days. Cooley (like jb) had a connection with the school that makes it ok to leave lots of money on the table. If someone wants a top college stage and an achievable challenge, we’re a potential great fit…but I don’t think many would want that these days.

I vote John Beilein.
Beilein would be a home run as a bench coach. But I just think if Beilein returns to college, it’ll be as a head coach. He’s too good and accomplished to be an assistant college coach and not a head coach again. Though he is also getting up there in age, so maybe he doesn’t want the demands of a head coaching job and could just scheme the offense.

Maybe Phil Martelli, who is friends with JB? He’s assistant to Juwan Howard at Michigan right now, but maybe he wants to move back closer to Philly. And he could help us recruit there.

Last edited:
I didn’t bring up Donovan, either. Just that oats could follow his model. I’m reality, I dunno why anyone mature, ethical and fantastic at coaching would even be interested in the college game these days. Cooley (like jb) had a connection with the school that makes it ok to leave lots of money on the table. If someone wants a top college stage and an achievable challenge, we’re a potential great fit…but I don’t think many would want that these days.

Bingo. You also have schools that have their own standards too so that leaves many coaches out in no man's land. I personally would take Miller as he is willing to still play in this sandbox it seems. I can absolutely see where any major program is not willing given what happened under his watch.

So as for a national search who would make the short list?

Cooley ( coaching where he is from..)
Boynton (recruiting well but hasn't done much of note winning wise)
Red

Who else?
Sean Miller, Pitino, Jerome Tang, Dennis Gates, Drew Valentine, Micah Shrewsberry, Niko Medved (Colorado State), Grant McCasland, Boynton (it’s hard to recruit to Oklahoma State…he might do well here.).

Last edited:
Do people really think that the reality is Red and GMac have all these brilliant head coach worthy ideas and eyes for potential prospects but they were all 100% thwarted by JB? If it was truly a job in which no decision or recruit idea of theirs was ever allowed to go forward, then I doubt they would be so loyal all these years. The main problem is JB, but the reality is that they probably do have a say in things and some of those ideas and choices have helped contribute to our recent lack of success. Put that with them both having zero head coach experience of their own and I have zero confidence in them turning things around here. Hire a head coach trending in the right direction or see what true rock bottom looks like. Some people think it is way too important that we retain guys who did not even make the NIT this year. Take the losses, pound the portal, and put a real head coach in charge.

For those decrying the lack of a “national search” keep in mind that the portal opens a week from today. What would be irresponsible is not having a coach in place on that date.

Personally I like the continuity of an internal hire and am sure Wildhack is prepared for this and has had exploratory conversations within his network for at least the last couple of years.

One year does not make nor break a program. Isn't it more important to get the right HC, than hit the portal in March vs April?

Kids aren't going to sign with another school the day of. There will be plenty of kids available in April. Especially kids who don't want to announce until their season is over.

It would be irresponsible to just grab the best 2-3 kids on March 13, when better kids may be available in April.

Didn’t the NCAA pass rules allowing basketball to have 2 more non-recruiting coaches next season? That would seemingly help get an older coach into teach and not have to be put on the road.

The general consensus on the board is that a hoops program can be turned around in one year... in fact I believe there is a thread on page one asserting how. If that's the case what harm is there in letting Red get a shot? If he bombs out the next coach can turn it around in a year right?

The positive is if it works out Red turning around Syracuse is the story of the season... get ready for a lot of "sleeping giant awakens" stories.

I can't wait to see what happens in recruiting over the next several months between our favorite NIL sponsor and a new energy from coaches.

What has he accomplished as a recruiter or a coach? If he wasn't an SU guy would he even get an interview for a middle of the pack P5 school, let alone a top program like SU?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom