What I'm hearing | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't good enough to have a head coach in waiting noone would like that guy even Hop lost stock when he didn't win more during his 2016 stint.

I don't think JB will complain publicly if hes forced out his agent will probably get him a top spot calling games on ESPN within minutes/hours. He might have a kid in the NBA to watch. He outlasted all his peers. It should be fine.
Facts

Yeah this is a key point. It's a hard job to manage up but absolutely a part of the role. You see companies fail at this all the time often triggering leadership changes. Anyone who takes on a senior leadership role needs to be willing to do so as well. Many claim to be and then either fall in line or don't exert their influence directly.
Willing and able are two different things. Our assistants have their own theology and process but it’s completely ignored

JP Estrella went on an Inside Syracuse podcast this morning. The hosts asked him about the Coaching situation. Estrella's wifi was cutting in and out, so it was very difficult to understand, but I think he said JB is telling recruits right now he's feeling excellent and intends to keep coaching for a while.

Connecting this to the recent SU players in the NBA thread

We have Cole and Buddy looking like they seriously could land a NBA roster spot, and even Jimmy is hanging around. Now if you consider last year's roster, there are 3 NBA prospects and Jesse making a big jump.

It makes me think last year's coaching job was even worse, how could that team go 16-17? One reason I had been a support of JB longer than others was he seemed to overachieve. He would get more wins with his talent than other coaches. Now I fear that part is no longer true.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m totally confused here. I think JW sticks to his plan, no additional contract and JB has his swan song this year. Mike is getting the first call from JW. If he takes, GMAC moves up and RED and GRIFF move on. If he doesn’t, next offer is to
RED, in which case Griff moves up and GMAC moves on.
Just curious. Is there a beef with Hop and Red?

Last edited:
Ya I just know how beloved Griff is in NYC alone that I know he could do some damage there but….
If Hop came aboard, why wouldn’t Griff stay? (Someone else said he and Red would leave.) Hop was a mentor to Griff when he was a player. If Hop gets the job once JB leaves, we need all hands on deck to try to turn this thing around.

I have to agree with you there. Hop left so that he wouldn't have to take the job away from his mentor who made it clear that he didn't want to retire. Hop did nothing wrong. Now, I had serious doubts about him and after seeing him coach, he wouldn't be my first choice. But he did nothing wrong when he left Syracuse.
Which is why it’s infuriating. JB is only still coaching because of Hop’s grace in the situation.

If Hop came aboard, why wouldn’t Griff stay? (Someone else said he and Red would leave.) Hop was a mentor to Griff when he was a player. If Hop gets the job once JB leaves, we need all hands on deck to try to turn this thing around.
While I agree that we need all hands on deck to turn this around, don’t you feel/think if Hop (or anyone who succeeds JAB) would want to bring his own people in out of loyalty to the service they provided?

We have Cole and Buddy looking like they seriously could land a NBA roster spot, and even Jimmy is hanging around. Now if you consider last year's roster, there are 3 NBA prospects and Jesse making a big jump.

It makes me think last year's coaching job was even worse, how could that team go 16-17? One reason I had been a support of JB longer than others was he seemed to overachieve. He would get more wins with his talent than other coaches. Now I fear that part is no longer true.
Jimmy's not hanging around.

How much JB has left on his fastball strategically will be easier to assess now that the family has moved on.

Fair enough - but don't think it changes the analysis very much.

Jimmy won’t play in the NBA. But you can only do the best you can in the moment. And in his 11 mins the other night he played very well. Was active and aggressive. Made a couple of real nice moves to the basket and battled for rebounds.

how could that team go 16-17?
1) The worst defense in the JB era (i.e., it's possible for horrible defensive players in college to emerge as promising offensive players for the NBA)
2) Benny Williams wasn't ready when they thought he would be (i.e., Jimmy then had to play way way too many minutes, and see point 1 above)
3) Remarkably bad "luck" in close games, due to horrendous end-game management or what have you (i.e., a number of games most teams usually win)

So after reading the last 5 pages or so it seems we are resigned to the fact either Hop or Red will be our next coach? My comments below are no disrespect to the people these two men are but...

For anyone wanting Red as the next coach of our program why? Besides being a Syracuse for a long time what has he proven? At best an average recruiter and our player development has taken a nose dive so what do I have to look forward to as Red as a head coach? What has he proven as an assistant coach that makes him worthy of being an HC at a P5? Mike got the Washington job partly because he was considered a top-notch recruiter but what are Red's qualifications. It has been widely talked about JB doesn't listen to or trust his Assistants to help coach so if JB doesn't trust them to help why should I trust them to run the program after he leaves?

And as for Hop, he has proven on both the East Coast and West Coast that he can recruit but he doesn't seem to be able to be a head coach. And a short run here with JBs team he failed. Multiple years in charge of a program running it his way and he has failed. Besides being a Syracuse and JB guy what has he proven at Washington the screams "give him another chance he will be a good coach at his next stop"

Seems our program is in more trouble than I thought if this is the direction JW decides to take after JB retires.

Shows how important a point guard is.

While I agree that we need all hands on deck to turn this around, don’t you feel/think if Hop (or anyone who succeeds JAB) would want to bring his own people in out of loyalty to the service they provided?
Who is Hop gonna bring in that knows our recruiting area and the university better than Red and Griff? Their hands have been tied with JB at the helm, with his lack of engagement in recruiting, his disinterest in travel and his aversion to get involved with difficult recruitments, etc. I don’t see why they wouldn’t stay and why Hop wouldn’t want them to. If Hop got the job, maybe he’d bring in an older experienced coach to help with Xs and Os and strategy.

Last edited:
pretty sure it's alluded to somewhere above, but-
would Red stay on if the new HC is Hop?

So after reading the last 5 pages or so it seems we are resigned to the fact either Hop or Red will be our next coach? My comments below are no disrespect to the people these two men are but...

For anyone wanting Red as the next coach of our program why? Besides being a Syracuse for a long time what has he proven? At best an average recruiter and our player development has taken a nose dive so what do I have to look forward to as Red as a head coach? What has he proven as an assistant coach that makes him worthy of being an HC at a P5? Mike got the Washington job partly because he was considered a top-notch recruiter but what are Red's qualifications. It has been widely talked about JB doesn't listen to or trust his Assistants to help coach so if JB doesn't trust them to help why should I trust them to run the program after he leaves?

And as for Hop, he has proven on both the East Coast and West Coast that he can recruit but he doesn't seem to be able to be a head coach. And a short run here with JBs team he failed. Multiple years in charge of a program running it his way and he has failed. Besides being a Syracuse and JB guy what has he proven at Washington the screams "give him another chance he will be a good coach at his next stop"

Seems our program is in more trouble than I thought if this is the direction JW decides to take after JB retires.
Red has landed our last two top 50 recruits—Benny and Mintz. He’s no slouch when it comes to recruiting.

Being a situational player at the end of the NBA roster, in part due to your limited salary, is a far cry from being the focal point of college defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom