What I'm hearing | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
And one more thing, our program can't afford further decline with an unproven commodity. If we were a 22 win team, getting to the NCAA fairly easy with decent seeds, I 100% be in favor of red or GMAC. But that's not where we are currently. We don't need someone to maintain our subpar status quo, we need a coach who can pull us out of this funk and get things back on track. Too risky to go with a candidate that no other college has interest in, and no reason to delimit our options that way.

Instead of not bothering to try because the odds are against us, how about we take every step to position ourselves to be in the 30% that do succeed?
The surefire way to be in that 30% group is to lose every remaining game under JAB. That way, it is impossible to underperform the current regime.
There is more than one way to skin a cat.

JP Estrella went on an Inside Syracuse podcast this morning. The hosts asked him about the Coaching situation. Estrella's wifi was cutting in and out, so it was very difficult to understand, but I think he said JB is telling recruits right now he's feeling excellent and intends to keep coaching for a while.

Link? Not doubting you, just want to listen.

Who is Hop gonna bring in that knows our recruiting area and the university better than Red and Griff? Their hands have been tied with JB at the helm, with his lack of engagement in recruiting, his disinterest in travel and his aversion to get involved with difficult recruitments, etc. I don’t see why they wouldn’t stay and why Hop wouldn’t want them to. If Hop got the job, maybe he’d bring in an older experienced coach to help with Xs and Os and strategy.
I would have to guess that there are a whole bunch of guys out there that are better recruiters than Griff. And a good number that are better than Red. They are true Orangemen and I respect that. But no one is confusing them with Troy Weaver. And I bet there is a Troy Weaver out there waiting for a call from us.

I would have to guess that there are a whole bunch of guys out there that are better recruiters than Griff. And a good number that are better than Red. They are true Orangemen and I respect that. But no one is confusing them with Troy Weaver. And I bet there is a Troy Weaver out there waiting for a call from us.
Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy, Wayne Morgan.

Our staffs have always benefited from outsiders.

Yeah this is a key point. It's a hard job to manage up but absolutely a part of the role. You see companies fail at this all the time often triggering leadership changes. Anyone who takes on a senior leadership role needs to be willing to do so as well. Many claim to be and then either fall in line or don't exert their influence directly.
Or, they found that the reason the job was available was because their predecessor got relieved of their duties for trying to "manage up" their CEO.
Every company dynamic is different, just like every team dynamic is different.

There has to be a willingness from above to listen to the ideas of the people they hire. This isn't always the case.

For the record, I'm not saying this is the case with JB. I have no insight into the inner works of SU men's hoops.

I still think you’re really underestimating both guys recruiting ability. Griff was on Archie Miller’s staff at Dayton when they were a consistent winner and making NCAA tourney runs as a mid-major. He knows how to find under the radar guys. Red was an assistant at Va Tech under Seth Greenberg previously, and has recruited both highly rated guys like Jerami Grant, Ennis, Mike Gbinije, Andrew White, Oshae, Quincy G, Jalen Carey (a bust but highly rated) and under the radar guys like Marek. I don’t think you’re giving either guy enough credit, imo. As others have said, the assistants hands have been tied with JB. He’s really difficult to deal with at this point. That said, I don’t disagree that Hop could choose to bring in a charismatic top-flight recruiter with great AAU connections to boost our efforts.

I still think you’re really underestimating both guys recruiting ability. Griff was on Archie Miller’s staff at Dayton when they were a consistent winner and making NCAA tourney runs as a mid-major. He knows how to find under the radar guys. Red was an assistant at Va Tech under Seth Greenberg previously, and has recruited both highly rated guys like Jerami Grant, Ennis, Mike Gbinije, Andrew White, Oshae, Quincy G, Jalen Carey (a bust but highly rated) and under the radar guys like Marek. I don’t think you’re giving either guy enough credit, imo. As others have said, the assistants hands have been tied with JB. He’s really difficult to deal with at this point. That said, I don’t disagree that Hop could choose to bring in a charismatic top-flight recruiter with great AAU connections to boost our efforts.
I didn't say that they were horrible. Red is clearly a good recruiter. I just think we can do better. Dayton and Va Tech aren't elite programs. Good. Not elite.

I didn't say that they were horrible. Red is clearly a good recruiter. I just think we can do better. Dayton and Va Tech aren't elite programs. Good. Not elite.
I think the point you are responding to was saying that he if he managed to recruit at Dayton successfully, he must be a good recruiter.

Anonymous PAC-12 coach: "He [Autry] is a sniper on the recruiting trail and a very good teacher."

Feel like Red does not get the love he deserves. He is an elite assistant coach that deserves an HC gig sometime soon.

Anonymous PAC-12 coach: "He [Autry] is a sniper on the recruiting trail and a very good teacher."

Feel like Red does not get the love he deserves. He is an elite assistant coach that deserves an HC gig sometime soon.
That Pac 12 coach could be Hop lol

Or, they are right.

Or, they are right.
I can't come up with someone we can legitimately hire from the outside that we know will do better than red other than Rick Pitino. I would hire Rick for a 5-year transition period but other than him i have no idea who we could land that would be a slam dunk.

I think the point you are responding to was saying that he if he managed to recruit at Dayton successfully, he must be a good recruiter.
I don't know how well he recruited at Dayton. I do know that recruiting there and at a p-5 school are totally different.

Fair enough - but don't think it changes the analysis very much.

Buddy and Cole are geared to be great as the 3rd or 4th option in college - but can only have 1 on the court at the same time. Just because they are both getting looks at being the 5th option on the court in an NBA game doesnt meant that they were a good 1-2 punch in college.

Jimmy was a garbage guy and should have played 10-15 min a game.

Last edited:
Good enough to beat us... :(

I doubt Griff's recruiting @ Dayton is the reason we couldn't hit water falling out of a boat on J's for that one freaking game.

I guess that also means that Colgate is now out-recruiting us also?
Since they won that one game that one time. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors