What in the name of Larry Culpepper | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What in the name of Larry Culpepper

They can add more teams to a playoff but you will still get same teams winning it.
Maybe a Boise St or some other smaller team gets in and wins a game but they aren’t going to have the depth to advance like Bama or OSU.

My solution is that only undefeated teams make the playoffs. If there are more undefeated teams than 4, the "best" one or two depending on the numbers get a bye. If there are 3, the "best" one gets a bye. If there's only one, they're automatically the champion. Only perfect champions. If no one is undefeated the format changes to include 1 loss teams.

I'm not listening to any reasons why people say this is bad or doesn't work. I don't care. Shut up.

College football needs a salary cap.
outside of the fact that they absolutely deserve it, this is a big reason why I want to players paid. Assuming a universal salary cap, of course. Its the only way a team like cuse would get a high 4 star type player.

My solution is that only undefeated teams make the playoffs. If there are more undefeated teams than 4, the "best" one or two depending on the numbers get a bye. If there are 3, the "best" one gets a bye. If there's only one, they're automatically the champion. Only perfect champions. If no one is undefeated the format changes to include 1 loss teams.

I'm not listening to any reasons why people say this is bad or doesn't work. I don't care. Shut up.
I won't give reasons. It just wouldn't work. You can't silence me.

Couldnt agree more with this. Saban has an army of ex-head coach 'consultants' whom I would assume get paid quite handsomely.

Crazy. I just looked up Alabama's staff directory. In addition to having FHCs Butch Jones and Joe Pendry as Special Assistants to the HC (Saban), they have 13 Football Analyst staff, which includes FHCs Mike Stoops, Major Applewhite, and Charlie Strong. The other Football Analyst positions are filled by children of people connected to college/pro football, former players, etc.

I watched 10 mins and put on a Christmas Themed Lifetime Movie on Hoopla. Yes...it was that bad.

BTW, the movie ended happy with a very unrealistic plot and ending unlike most SU Football games in 2020. I can tell you the title but it doesn't matter they are all the same just like the national playoffs.

You don't have to listen, because you already know the problem with that. Tune in to the big confrontation between Alabama and South Alabama, folks!

Crazy. I just looked up Alabama's staff directory. In addition to having FHCs Butch Jones and Joe Pendry as Special Assistants to the HC (Saban), they have 13 Football Analyst staff, which includes FHCs Mike Stoops, Major Applewhite, and Charlie Strong. The other Football Analyst positions are filled by children of people connected to college/pro football, former players, etc.

\The NCAA could limit staffs and scholarships or even return to one platoon football. But will they and will the power teams just go off and form their own organizations? There's been talk of a national super-conference for decades.

1610498447377.png

I didn’t even know the NC was last night until last night. Too much else competing for attention right now

I didn’t even know the NC was last night until last night. Too much else competing for attention right now

it resembled the battle between the protestors and the security guards.

Yep. In an attempt to extend bowl season and give each game an undivided audience, starting during the BCS era, they screwed things up by extended it beyond new years day. Most of the people on this board are big time college football fans and didn't carw to watch. How many casual fans were even more apathetic? I think the OP's suggestion of having the NC game the saturday after New Year's is perfect.

This x 1000

The game will be what it will be. Let the people watch. First Saturday night In January. Before the last day of the NFL season. Not on an obscure Monday night in January with the trophy hoisted at midnight. Just dumb.

I would like to see the National Championship on the Saturday after New Years Day or as close as you can get

College football needs a salary cap.
We kind of have that now, it's at COA plus a stipend as well as an education, but that is gonna get replaced by a paid system that will further divide teams into have's and have nots.

YAY!

The second Monday in January is usually a pretty rough day for guys and gals between 25-55. Many are cutting way back on booze, dieting, new exercise regimen ,back at work after a vacation, etc. It's one of the rougher Mondays of the year, IMO. Get home, kids are usually back into the swing of things with school, sports activities, parents running around, etc. Thus, that evening really doesn't lend itself to a very festive atmosphere in most households across America.

Now you keep it closer to the back end of the Holidays on a Friday or Saturday night, well totally different ball game.

Rutgers would schedule 12 games against Pop Warner kids leagues and declare themselves champions.

Here's a thought: run a poll where fans, (FBS season ticket holders) can nominate teams they would like to see play for the national championship. teams with a certain number or percent age of votes get in. use the numbers to seed them and use play-in games to get it down to 8 or 4 or 2 or whatever.

Here's a thought: run a poll where fans, (FBS season ticket holders) can nominate teams they would like to see play for the national championship. teams with a certain number or percent age of votes get in. use the numbers to seed them and use play-in games to get it down to 8 or 4 or 2 or whatever.
So the guys that buy tickets so they can get up in the middle of play to get beer multiple times before halftime should have more say than guys like me that don't live local and therefore don't have tickets? I'm not so sure about that.

So the guys that buy tickets so they can get up in the middle of play to get beer multiple times before halftime should have more say than guys like me that don't live local and therefore don't have tickets? I'm not so sure about that.
Also, not sure this would create a different scenario than we already have. You'd have the LSU, Alabama, Michigan, and Ohio states of the world voted in every year just based on stadium size. Maybe state Penn can make the playoffs in this scenario.

BCS was better than this. Even though most years there was no difference between 2 and 3.

Now you only have 2-3 playoff worthy teams. Then another 2-3 teams above the rest but with no shot against those 2. Never 3-4 equals. If we go to 8 that will be awful the first 2 rounds will be lucky to have 1 good game and the NC will be brutal.

Bama has been good for a while but not that good. The last two National Champions have claims for the best teams ever this was Sabans best squad. Surprised Mac Jones couldn't win a year ago when Tua went down.

BCS was better than this. Even though most years there was no difference between 2 and 3.

Now you only have 2-3 playoff worthy teams. Then another 2-3 teams above the rest but with no shot against those 2. Never 3-4 equals. If we go to 8 that will be awful the first 2 rounds will be lucky to have 1 good game and the NC will be brutal.

Bama has been good for a while but not that good. The last two National Champions have claims for the best teams ever this was Sabans best squad. Surprised Mac Jones couldn't win a year ago when Tua went down.
Nah. The BCS was about the same. Regardless, the problem isn't how the teams are selected, it's that a few teams can essentially buy their way to the best recruits. There have always been haves and havenots, but the gap is bigger than it's ever been.