What is Shafer thinking | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is Shafer thinking

They'll probably keep Shafer but there is no reason to be as invested in this program with him as som have been. He has a ceiling because he can't game manage his way out of a wet paper bag. If he recruits like Ohio State maybe we can win 9.

Folks, Norton was supposed to kick a pooch kick to the 20. He didn't.
After he screwed up pooch kick last week why would we do that again. Kick the F ball out of the endzone or have your D nail the kid. Im for Shafer big time but he is not the brightest bulb in the lamp on game days i have no idea what he was thinking. Also could this be on Doust? He coaches the Specials

Let's say they were going for an onside... it's just so inconsistent with the 4th and 2 punt. We don't like our chances of getting 2 yards on 2 plays, but we like our chances of getting an onside.

Lol wut

Absolutely! Even alum and homer McDonough hammered that point as diplomatically as he could. You could tell he was clearly miffed by it, when panning to him after that TO, was visibly shaking his head. He really probably just wanted to scream What!!! As SS was running off the field at halftime, Sean commented these ?? calls just add fuel to the beleaguered coach's decision making...

I think the Newhouse mafia is not all in. Shroff last week opened the game talking about the empty dome. McDonough talking hotseat.

OttoinGrotto said:
Let's say they were going for an onside... it's just so inconsistent with the 4th and 2 punt. We don't like our chances of getting 2 yards on 2 plays, but we like our chances of getting an onside. Lol wut

Trying to apply logic to Shafer's decisions will make your head explode.

He's like a deranged porcupine trying to do algebra.

SHAFER'S MESSAGE TO HIS KICK-OFF TEAM,YOU SUCK.

Two weeks in a row there has been a major coaching blunder just before the half and now Coyle has to be shaking his head and Shafer might start losing the confidence from his team.Bottom line there needs to be a special teams coach who will make these decision. This is really bad...

I just rewatched that kick. I don't think it was a squib kick. Watch the coverage converge to the middle of the field. No one running in their lanes. Maybe that is just because the squib kick sucked, but I don't think so.

Also Norton kicked the top of the ball, like you do on an onside kick. It was a poorly executed onside kick.

Coach called the time out so they would have time to score after recovering the onside kick. Norton Screwed up the kick.

I just rewatched that kick. I don't think it was a squib kick. Watch the coverage converge to the middle of the field. No one running in their lanes. Maybe that is just because the squib kick sucked, but I don't think so.

Also Norton kicked the top of the ball, like you do on an onside kick. It was a poorly executed onside kick.

Coach called the time out so they would have time to score after recovering the onside kick. Norton Screwed up the kick.

You're getting the ball back to start the half, it's a one TD game, if that is the sequence he was trying to set up, that's ridiculous.

After he screwed up pooch kick last week why would we do that again. Kick the F ball out of the endzone or have your D nail the kid. Im for Shafer big time but he is not the brightest bulb in the lamp on game days i have no idea what he was thinking. Also could this be on Doust? He coaches the Specials
Players can't win a game facing the opposition AND the coaches Shaf needs a lot of time "management lessons" BUT Let me say that this team looks better this week than in our other losses which looks like an additional (L) I'd like to get into Lester's face. geeks ,you gotta get some WRs downfield for Dungey to at least attempt to hit. Timmy you have other TEs to put into the game and pass to.AND BTW are all your other receivers "persona non grata?"Custis, Enoicy and what ever happened to a kid named Womack or are you saving him for next season?presuming you will still be the OC next year!

I think the Newhouse mafia is not all in. Shroff last week opened the game talking about the empty dome. McDonough talking hotseat.

Well, can't say I blame them with repeated bone-headed decisions and poor clock mgmt. over the past couple of weeks or so.

Let's say they were going for an onside... it's just so inconsistent with the 4th and 2 punt. We don't like our chances of getting 2 yards on 2 plays, but we like our chances of getting an onside.

Lol wut

1000x agree.
He's showing horrific judgement.

Folks, Norton was supposed to kick a pooch kick to the 20. He didn't.
And you think Shafer has no responsibility for that? He instructs the kicker on what he wants done does he not? He can enforce his wishes can he not? It was not just Norton screwing up.
Time out before score was just crazy.

Does he not understand that he can let the clock tick down then call time out? Which allows for even more time for your offense to rest. (and limits the opposing teams options on the other side)

When you get your team you can make those calls.
I would like to point out to Shafer that this is not his team, he is merely the current head coach, and that might change very quickly.

Honest to God any 9 year old who has watched football would know you run the clock down there. A 9 year old. No joke.

I have been a huge supporter of Shafer up to this point but he just lost me between that punt, time out and then Squibb kick. That had to be the 3 dumbest decisions you could make. Cost us 7 points.
I don't know how anyone can be a "huge supporter of Shafer" to this point. He's horrendous and must be fired.

The pants are simply too long for this guy. We've had a good sample size to know. He's like a HS coach or a D-3 coach, but I'm sure he's a great guy. That said, the talent disparity is getting wider with the better teams. (we played them tougher last year and today they played bench players). But then again, coaches to the recruiting, no?
You don't have to wait anymore in college FB. In the age of Temple (!) in the top 25, you can turn it around on a dime with the right leadership. They are not getting 4-5 star players at Temple.
But someone will transfer! Dungey! Wake up: There is NO ONE on the team we can't afford to lose in a coaching change. Bring in the right guy, with the right team of assistants and you can take off. BTW, good players want to win more than anything. They'll stay if they believe they have the leader. I'm hoping (praying) Coyle can do this.
Seriously, as a fan of 40+ years, I am for the first time rooting for 3-9 so we can get started. My opinion; sorry if offense taken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom