What is Shafer thinking | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What is Shafer thinking

Temple has not turned around on a dime. That goes back to golden being hired. They are simply hiring better then we are.

Sorry, that's MORONIC.

Let the clock run down the full play clock and call TO then.

I have defended Schafer, including last week when I even said his in-game decisions were getting better.

I was wrong.

There is no defending that coaching series. Players did a nice job. Should have been down 7 at the half getting the ball. They deserved that.

Toga said:
Honest to God any 9 year old who has watched football would know you run the clock down there. A 9 year old. No joke.
9 year olds have practiced that situation more

The toughest game day opponent this team will face all season is its own coaching staff.

I just rewatched that kick. I don't think it was a squib kick. Watch the coverage converge to the middle of the field. No one running in their lanes. Maybe that is just because the squib kick sucked, but I don't think so.

Also Norton kicked the top of the ball, like you do on an onside kick. It was a poorly executed onside kick.

Coach called the time out so they would have time to score after recovering the onside kick. Norton Screwed up the kick.
Just as bad. We were getting the ball on the second half kickoff. Why take the risk when you wouldn't go for it on 4th and 1?

I just rewatched that kick. I don't think it was a squib kick. Watch the coverage converge to the middle of the field. No one running in their lanes. Maybe that is just because the squib kick sucked, but I don't think so.

Also Norton kicked the top of the ball, like you do on an onside kick. It was a poorly executed onside kick.

Coach called the time out so they would have time to score after recovering the onside kick. Norton Screwed up the kick.

Shafer ordered the squib kick. Norton hit a bad one.

Whitey23 said:
660543374437556224 Does he not understand that he can let the clock tick down then call time out? Which allows for even more time for your offense to rest. (and limits the opposing teams options on the other side)

That was an answer from a guy who knew he made a mistake, but didn't want to admit it publicly, do he said his team was tired.

Sorry, that's MORONIC.

Let the clock run down the full play clock and call TO then.

I have defended Schafer, including last week when I even said his in-game decisions were getting better.

I was wrong.

There is no defending that coaching series. Players did a nice job. Should have been down 7 at the half getting the ball. They deserved that.

Indeed moronic! The offense looked gassed? I call BS...we just gained 6-7 yards on an inside hand off to Phillips. The play before Dungy scrambled like 12-14 yards to set that play up. If anyone appeared gassed, that would've been the FSU defense. Scoring on the next play further solidifies that...if we don't foolishly use that time out, we score there with 28-32 seconds left in the half...

That was an answer from a guy who knew he made a mistake, but didn't want to admit it publicly, do he said his team was tired.
agreed - which, of course, is a major indictment of his leadership. Don't throw the players on offense under the bus like that.

Norton screwed that up. Clearly you could see how pissed off Shafer was.
Was calling a timeout the kickers fault too? Can only blame others so many times before there is nobody left to blame

Was calling a timeout the kickers fault too? Can only blame others so many times before there is nobody left to blame
Did I say anything about the time out? I was clearly talking about the kick. No reason to try and call me out for some bullstuff. People on this board need to grow up.

To further illustrate his bogus excuse of "the kids looked tired"...we were in the midst of a...wait for it.,,,A 4 PLAY DRIVE...when we called the first time out.

Such a bogus response and a flat out cover up.

If he said " hey, we've really struggled inside the five yard line against good teams. We really wanted to get seven here and I wanted to make sure we had the right call here. In retrospect, we probably should have run more time off, but my first concern was getting seven"...I could at least understand the thinking. And it's very likely the truth!!

But to say we called it because the kids looked gassed? He looks like a liar.

To further illustrate his bogus excuse of "the kids looked tired"...we were in the midst of a...wait for it.,,,A 4 PLAY DRIVE...when we called the first time out.

Such a bogus response and a flat out cover up.

If he said " hey, we've really struggled inside the five yard line against good teams. We really wanted to get seven here and I wanted to make sure we had the right call here. In retrospect, we probably should have run more time off, but my first concern was getting seven"...I could at least understand the thinking. And it's very likely the truth!!

But to say we called it because the kids looked gassed? He looks like a liar.
Sad that he's incapable of owning mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom