what marrone giveth, ryan taketh away | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

what marrone giveth, ryan taketh away

I'm just talking about punting I swear. Football is played by big eaters who get fat when they stop running around so it makes sense that the guys who know the most about football tend to be fat.

They should trust the nerds about math and stick to teaching but guys who to inflict drain bramage.

So, they should trust you??

I think a lot of folks care.

Marrone did a great job at SU and a very good job in Buffalo.

Given that the Bills owner fired the OC after a few games and now the HC after two seasons, it seems that Marrone made the right call in exercising his option - so as not to work for an owner he knew nothing about.

"Great job" here is a bit much.

Doug is going to have to be an offensive coordinator for a couple years most likely before any owner trusts him again as a head coach. And if he wins this week in Jax this offseason some team with a new head coach may give him that chance. I get why Doug quit Buffalo, I really do. But he has the "quitter label" on him now. Only 32 NFL head coaching jobs on planet earth and many coaches would cut off their left arm to get one. So when you do you just flat out don't quit without coming out looking bad.

Rex Ryan is going to have to go into TV for a few years before any owner makes a mistake and gives him another head coaching job. Rex has been an NFL head coach since 2009 and has never won a division title (and NO he doesn't get a pass for being in the same division as Brady/Belichick.)

The Bills problem is no "big name" head coach will go to Buffalo and take that job. They will never lure a Harbaugh, Shaw, Urban, or anyone on that level. They need to find the hot young assistant (ie Gase in Miami) and give someone like that their first job and just leave him alone for a few years and hope you hit a home-run that way and have a lifer on your hands. Only way the Bills can win. Brady is about to turn 40 and Belichick is mid 60's, just had a grand-kid and has said multiple times he ain't gonna be Marv Levy coaching in his 70's. They are gonna be gone soon...so Buffalo better get their you know what together to be respectable in that division again. Looks like Miami has gotten their house in order Buffalo and the Jets better follow suit.

If the Jets job opens back up you know Doug will want that, Todd Bowles did win 10 last year but this year has been a flop.

Contrary to what others have said above I think he gets a job this year esp if the Jaguars look competent again this week.

"Great job" here is a bit much.

Yes, "great job" is the appropriate description for what Doug Marrone did for Syracuse University Football.

He took a dead program - one that had won 10 games in four years - and by Year Two had an eight-win season with a bowl victory against K-State.

In Year Three he was at 5-2 with a resounding national TV win against a very good WVU team only to suffer from the effect of injuries/lack of depth and just plain bad luck the rest of the way.

And in Year Four he gave us a season to remember with a dynamic offense and another bowl win against a very good WVU team.

He did a great job on the Hill.

Isn't is Brandon that hired Marrone? Pegulas wre swept off their feet by Rex who probably told them two years for the playoffs? if I remember correctly Whaley was advocating for Hue Jackson... who who knows if he would have been any better.

Nobody seems to want to take responsibility for drafting a Manuel other than Buddy Nix.

Whaley isn't without blame or fault but I think that is why the Pegulas are stepping aside and it's already been reported that Whaley will lead search for the new HC. The next HC will be his guy and will allow Doug not to be a GM not just in title. He also neesds to sort the qb spot out with his new HC. That said, if the new HC doesn't produce wins and playoffs, Whaley will be out with his coach as well as it should be.

Brandon only cares about ticket sales these days
brandon and whaley want big jobs while taking no responsibility for mistakes and blabbing anonymously to the media. whaley got the job because he did most of the work under nix but when manuel stinks, it's all nix's fault. if brandon (the former gm) has nothing to do with football, why is he getting into shouting matches with marrone with reporters around.

pegula will eventually get a real gm but this is taking too long.

and tyrod is fine, if they sh!tcan him, they're going to regret it

They should trust the nerds about math and stick to teaching but guys who to inflict drain bramage.
"stick to teaching but guys who" yeesh my ability to type on my phone is getting worse and worse

brandon and whaley want big jobs while taking no responsibility for mistakes and blabbing anonymously to the media. whaley got the job because he did most of the work under nix but when manuel stinks, it's all nix's fault. if brandon (the former gm) has nothing to do with football, why is he getting into shouting matches with marrone with reporters around.

Isn't Brandon president of sabres as well, I think his role has diminished with Bills as far as day to day to a certain extent. He did hire Marrone.. who wouldn't argue with Marrone, he's a paranoid, on edge buffoon that nobody likes to play for, you can only get away with how Doug acts if you have the resume. I think Marrone is a good coach and a good guy outside of football but he just can't take the pressure as a HC, he really should not go back to being a HC.

I say give Whaley the job with no training wheels, hired the head coach address the issues and I dint think it would be unreasonable to expect playoffs next year but it's been 17 years. bills have some nice parts and pieces but have a few glaring weaknesses.

I'm lukewarm on Tyrod but he's good in Lynns system won't be in a pass first o

I sense Brandon played more of a role with Rex hiring than it may appear. I read one article that he was adamant they shouldn't let Rex leave without making a deal because he was excited about what his his personality would do for ticket sales.

Isn't Brandon president of sabres as well, I think his role has diminished with Bills as far as day to day to a certain extent. He did hire Marrone.. who wouldn't argue with Marrone, he's a paranoid, on edge buffoon that nobody likes to play for, you can only get away with how Doug acts if you have the resume. I think Marrone is a good coach and a good guy outside of football but he just can't take the pressure as a HC, he really should not go back to being a HC.

I say give Whaley the job with no training wheels, hired the head coach address the issues and I dint think it would be unreasonable to expect playoffs next year but it's been 17 years. bills have some nice parts and pieces but have a few glaring weaknesses.

day to day yes, but when it comes to the big decisions, that's when he starts chirping to the media and whispering to the pegulas.

i think whaley is an impulsive lightweight with a big mouth who is good at pro scouting but is terrible at drafting

if taylor threw passes short of the sticks on the 3rd and longs he picks up running, the bills would be worse but the people who look at total yardage stats would think taylor is better. hard guy to evaluate. they don't call enough passes and he misses a lot of open guys but he's good per pass he throws and he's blazing fast

Where does he coach??
fat meatheads who spend their lives learning how to hurt other fat meatheads aren't as good at math. so they should let math guys help them. they don't build their own computers and headsets.

but you keep moving the goalposts. i couldn't possibly be better at math than a guy who graduated from su 8 or 9 years after he started. but since clearly paul romer would be, then it becomes "he's not a coach".

Maybe if the AD at Syracuse or the GM at Buffalo had his back instead of undermining him, he wouldn't have been on edge and paranoid.

I sense Brandon played more of a role with Rex hiring than it may appear. I read one article that he was adamant they shouldn't let Rex leave without making a deal because he was excited about what his his personality would do for ticket sales.
tickets are cheap, tailgates are fun, and it's the NFL and Brandon thinks ticket sales has anything to do with whatever he does all day

owens, overpaying for williams, overpaying for watkins, ryan - it all reeks of brandon to me

day to day yes, but when it comes to the big decisions, that's when he starts chirping to the media and whispering to the pegulas.

i think whaley is an impulsive lightweight with a big mouth who is good at pro scouting but is terrible at drafting

if taylor threw passes short of the sticks on the 3rd and longs he picks up running, the bills would be worse but the people who look at total yardage stats would think taylor is better. hard guy to evaluate. they don't call enough passes and he misses a lot of open guys but he's good per pass he throws and he's blazing fast

I think most of the stuff that people complain about with regard to Whaley can be said for 50% of GM's. I agree he's been hit and miss on a lot but I don't agree with blowing the whole thing up. Rex or Whaley had to go, ( obviously the pegulas respevted his opinion more than Rex) IMO Whaley gets next year or 2 and Lynn will get 3 years at least as It looks a lot like will be hired and that is why they fired Rex yesterday. They also get Lynn cheaper hire they pay Rex off too. No more over paid retreads

Not ideal but What is with the Bills.

Whaley stinks at his job. This is a guy who absolutely forwarded donkey Pron to a bunch of people in the league.

I'm shocked he still is around with some of the draft blunders he has made.

fat meatheads who spend their lives learning how to hurt other fat meatheads aren't as good at math. so they should let math guys help them. they don't build their own computers and headsets.

but you keep moving the goalposts. i couldn't possibly be better at math than a guy who graduated from su 8 or 9 years after he started. but since clearly paul romer would be, then it becomes "he's not a coach".

I'm not moving anything.

I am simply attempting to explore your thought processes.

So, we shouldn't rely on you for football strategy analysis - sorry, "punting analysis" - even though you typically presume actual football professionals to be "stupid," but instead invoke a guy named Paul Romer, who apparently is not a football professional, but a math analyst?

So, are you suggesting that you are the newest incarnation of Billy Beane??

Are you suggesting that one day they will write a book about you? That you, some guy sitting in a cubicle in Rochester NY uncovered the analytics "Rosetta Stone" for punting while eating your lunch and surfing the net????

"Millhouse Ball"???

Hey, let me know, I'll be your agent!

Whaley stinks at his job. This is a guy who absolutely forwarded donkey Pron to a bunch of people in the league.

wait ... what?

Yes, "great job" is the appropriate description for what Doug Marrone did for Syracuse University Football.

He took a dead program - one that had won 10 games in four years - and by Year Two had an eight-win season with a bowl victory against K-State.

In Year Three he was at 5-2 with a resounding national TV win against a very good WVU team only to suffer from the effect of injuries/lack of depth and just plain bad luck the rest of the way.

And in Year Four he gave us a season to remember with a dynamic offense and another bowl win against a very good WVU team.

He did a great job on the Hill.

- SS and Dino Babers would have had 8 wins with that schedule.

- for an offensive guru, it took him 3.5 years to find a pulse on offense; he did hire Shafer, so that's a plus.

- 2012 should have been better. But they forgot to run the ball until midway through the season.

If your definition of "great" is taking a bad football team to mediocre (with a good end to year 4) with roughly the same level of recruiting - then yeah - he did a great job.

I reserve great for prolonged success, reproducible results, and a P5 conference championship.

I'm not moving anything.

So, we shouldn't rely on you for football strategy analysis - sorry, "punting analysis" - even though you typically presume actual football professionals to be "stupid," but instead invoke a guy named Paul Romer, who apparently is not a football professional, but a math analyst?

Are you suggesting that one day they will write a book about you? That you, some guy sitting in a cubicle in Rochester NY uncovered the analytics "Rosetta Stone" for punting while eating your lunch and surfing the net????

"Millhouse Ball"???

You will lose this argument. CFB/NFL is slow to embrace a lot of smart math stuff. The NBA and MLB have already gone through their transformations due to hiring guys smarter than coaches to assist them with player evaluation and strategy.

Try the google.

that lynn press conference made lynn look terrible (he's bumbling and didn't have his story straight) and whaley and brandon look worse. when they hire ryan, they all can't wait to find a mic and camera. when they fire them, they're all in witness protection.

(marrone is still a bozo though)

I'm not moving anything.

"Millhouse Ball"???

actual football professionals usually aren't as smart as paul romer or else they wouldn't get into a field where you work so hard with so little chance of success.
actual football professionals usually have some form of brain damage from hard earned experience playing the stupid sport they coach
actual football professionals usually outsource many things that they are not knowledgeable about. nutrition, medicine, training.

none of this is millhouse ball. it's all been solved. we know how much possession of the ball at each yard line is worth from a million games. it's easy to back into the odds to make going for it worthwhile. they all have charts that someone else wrote. make the charts better using up to date information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom