What was the biggest regular season win in the JB tenure? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What was the biggest regular season win in the JB tenure?

What was the biggest regular season win in the JB tenure?

• At Georgetown 1990

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Kentucky at home 1994

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Pittsburgh at home 2003

Votes: 38 54.3%
  • At Duke 2019

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can we define biggest? Do we mean the win against the beset team? Or the win that somehow helped the program the most? I'm not sure any of the games listed above fit either of those categories.

Lets start with wins over the best teams.

In my opinion the 1999 UConn team was maybe the best team in college basketball history. They only had 2 losses that year and would have gone undefeated if not for injuries. One of those 2 losses was to Syracuse.

The 2013 Louisville team was #1 in the country when we trounced them on the road, and they went on to win the National Championship that year.

The 2004 UConn team had to be one of the best ever and we beat them too.

SU also beat the 2011 national champion UConn team, but don't think they would count as one of the biggest wins, just going over national champions we have beaten in my mind.

SU beat 1985 champion Villanova, but like the 2011 UConn team I wouldn't call that an all time great win.

What might be an all time great win was SU's win against the 1985 Georgetown team with Patrick Ewing which was clearly the best team in the country and ranked #1, even though they lost in the title game.

If we are looking for the games that did the most good for the SU program the first one that comes to mind is the 6 OT game. There are some wins that got SU off the bubble but its hard to give full credit for a tournament birth to any one win. Maybe the 2010 win against Villanova who I think was a top 5 team that pushed Syracuse to #1 in the country? Hard to compete with that 6 overtime game though.
Good points all. But with this thread, people were looking at best regular season victories. So 6 OTs doesn’t count. That game is def among the best Cuse wins ever though.

IMO, 2003 Pitt without a shadow of a doubt. That was the win that made us all realize "OK, this team is something special." A close second would be those thrilling Georgetown wins from 1989 and 1990.
I mean how often do you get to rush the court twice in the same game and think you almost lost at the same time? Craziest, LOUDEST game i've ever been to. Place was off the hook! The dome literally reverberated that night

Can we define biggest? Do we mean the win against the beset team? Or the win that somehow helped the program the most? I'm not sure any of the games listed above fit either of those categories.

In my opinion the 1999 UConn team was maybe the best team in college basketball history. They only had 2 losses that year and would have gone undefeated if not for injuries. One of those 2 losses was to Syracuse.

The 2013 Louisville team was #1 in the country when we trounced them on the road, and they went on to win the National Championship that year.

SU also beat the 2011 national champion UConn team, but don't think they would count as one of the biggest wins, just going over national champions we have beaten in my mind.

SU beat 1985 champion Villanova, but like the 2011 UConn team I wouldn't call that an all time great win.

What might be an all time great win was SU's win against the 1985 Georgetown team with Patrick Ewing which was clearly the best team in the country and ranked #1, even though they lost in the title game.

If we are looking for the games that did the most good for the SU program the first one that comes to mind is the 6 OT game. There are some wins that got SU off the bubble but its hard to give full credit for a tournament birth to any one win. Maybe the 2010 win against Villanova who I think was a top 5 team that pushed Syracuse to #1 in the country? Hard to compete with that 6 overtime game though.

We beat the Uconn team in 1999 when they were down Hamilton and Voskhul though. Which I think is a bigger loss to them than was Duke losing Hones and Reddish.

A few "second-tier" top regular season wins:

1995-96 at Arizona: They were No.3 and we won on the road early in the surprise-ish Final Four season.
1999-00 vs. UConn in the Dome, I think we were both in the top 5 or 6? Was a semi-blowout.
2008-09 vs. Kansas preseason. They were the defending champs and it was kinda the signal we were back (and was start of the "second golden era")

1995-96 at Arizona: They were No.3 and we won on the road early in the surprise-ish Final Four season.
1999-00 vs. UConn in the Dome, I think we were both in the top 5 or 6? Was a semi-blowout.
2008-09 vs. Kansas preseason. They were the defending champs and it was kinda the signal we were back (and was start of the "second golden era")

The uconn one in 2000 is tier one imo.

The MSU game to close out 2003 regular season. If we won that tough away game then we’d made a strong case for a high tournament seed. It was a battle in the trenches, ugly to watch, but a quality away game win at the end.

There are very very few games when I think we will get our doors blown off but I will remember this was one of them. So maybe a different question - what JB win surprised you the most?

At Louisville in 2013 is my favorite regular season win since the 2003 Pitt game. They were ranked 1 and we were 4 or 5. Both teams final four contenders. They finished first and we finished second in a loaded Big East. Southerland didn’t play because he was out due to academics. Triche and MCW were awesome that day. I’m still sad Triche was called for a BS charge and we didn’t get by Michigan to get another shot at them.

Of note, perhaps as an honorable mention from the dustbin of history and outside of the criteria - 1972, NIT. We had a close loss to a National power, Lefty Driesell's Maryland team. We were an untested regional player. Roy's Runts made it a close game but lost 65 to 71. Next year they rolled us in the NCAA, but to those that were paying attention, 1972 showed that for the first time since the Bing era, we could play with the big boys. JB was soon to become the HC.

This year's Duke win may put us in the big Dance when we weren't even really as high as the bubble going in. The other games mentioned, fins a they were, weren't the difference between being in or out of the NCAAs.

Of course we've now got to make it a big win by taking care of business the rest of the way.

Has anyone mentioned the 1982-83 win over Phi Slamma Jamma in the Dome. Houston had Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and Michael Young. They finished that season ranked #1, but lost to Jimmy V and NC State in the game that created the legend.

Not a partiularly great team, but definitely solid. The 1982-83 team had wins over both Olajuwon and Ewing that season. Also played a nonconference slate that included Houston, North Carolina and Ohio State...... yeah, ok and also Utica.

Was that a Club team? Get it? Utica Club?

Has anyone mentioned the 1982-83 win over Phi Slamma Jamma in the Dome. Houston had Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and Michael Young. They finished that season ranked #1, but lost to Jimmy V and NC State in the game that created the legend.

Not a partiularly great team, but definitely solid. The 1982-83 team had wins over both Olajuwon and Ewing that season. Also played a nonconference slate that included Houston, North Carolina and Ohio State... yeah, ok and also Utica.

Was that a Club team? Get it? Utica Club?
I believe that Utica College team was coached by Larry Costello.

I think there are four types of wins in this category:

Program changing wins
Season changing or season defining wins
Wins against best teams
Most memorable wins

To me, the Purdue win was a program-changing win. It helped to change the perception of SU from a regional school to a national school and was key in cementing that #1 seed going into that year's NCAA tournament.

Beating Pitt and MSU in 03 were, IMHO, season-defining wins. They helped propel the team to a different level of play.

Although you could base this purely on ranking, I would argue that our two best wins ever were Georgetown in 1985 and Houston in 1982. Both teams were among the most dominant college hoops teams ever (at least until the NCAA final). The irony of the Houston game is that nobody knew, at the time, how dominant that Houston team would become. Phi Slamma Jamma would not be born for another month. They were ranked in the top ten but there were fewer than 20K in the stands for that game.

Most memorable, to me, is purely personal and those would be the Purdue game, the Georgetown game in 1985, and the Wes Johnson coming out party against North Carolina at MSG.

Random, but I still remember the second game they lost to Miami. Tim James, John Salmons, et al. That was a good team and fun to watch. I don't recall UConn having anyone injured, but I think Miami played them evenly and won on a late basket by Salmons?

Anyway, UConn was great, but I'm not even sure that was Calhoun's best team (I was more impressed by the Marshall/Marshall/Knight/Sheffer/Ollie team with Ray Allen and Brian Fair), and I think an argument can be made that Duke was the better team in 1999 as well (and both were probably inferior to a bunch of Duke and UNLV teams from a decade earlier).

That was an underrated big win because we'd lost 4 straight -- Boeheim's longest streak at the time -- and if we made it 5 the wheels might have come off completely.

The MSU game to close out 2003 regular season. If we won that tough away game then we’d made a strong case for a high tournament seed. It was a battle in the trenches, ugly to watch, but a quality away game win at the end.

There are very very few games when I think we will get our doors blown off but I will remember this was one of them. So maybe a different question - what JB win surprised you the most?

Cool question.

Monday was up there. UVa in 2016 for sure. Michigan State in December 2010 stands out in my memory, too, for some reason; I just thought we had no chance and we played great. Same for UConn in the Big East semis in 2006. Also, Memphis in December 2008 (we'd had the Kansas and Florida upsets, but Devendorf was suspended for this one and I didn't love out chances). And pretty much any time we beat Pittsburgh while Howland or Dixon was the coach.

Mostly, though, he doesn't surprise with wins. He usually has the team in a good position to win.

I think the '89 OT win versus Georgetown at home deserves serious consideration. Think of the combined talent on the floor at that game. Also the punctuation mark reverse dunk by Sherman was so fantastic, who had any idea he could dunk like that?
Thompson embarrassing himself also was fantastic. What an overrated fraud. But I digress.
Of those on the list I'd go with the Pittsburgh game because it had a part in the championship and how much better is all of our lives given that we won it all that year? Or conversely how much would it suck if we were still looking for our first?

THIS!! I had NO idea Sherm could dunk, period - much less throw down a REVERSE SLAM.
What an amazing way to end his Senior Night game, vs the hated Hoyas.

We were DOWN 14 in the 2nd half, JB puts on the press, and chaos ensued!
The highlights from that game are on the Syracuse Dunk Tape on Youtube, it was flipping AWESOME.
You're welcome:

The '85 GTown game also was epic.
I was fortunate enough to be at both of them.

Random, but I still remember the second game they lost to Miami. Tim James, John Salmons, et al. That was a good team and fun to watch. I don't recall UConn having anyone injured, but I think Miami played them evenly and won on a late basket by Salmons?

Anyway, UConn was great, but I'm not even sure that was Calhoun's best team (I was more impressed by the Marshall/Marshall/Knight/Sheffer/Ollie team with Ray Allen and Brian Fair), and I think an argument can be made that Duke was the better team in 1999 as well (and both were probably inferior to a bunch of Duke and UNLV teams from a decade earlier).

Oh I think I that Duke team may be second only two the early 90s Hurley/Hill/Laetner teams. They were loaded.

Oh I think I that Duke team may be second only two the early 90s Hurley/Hill/Laetner teams. They were loaded.

Battier, Brand, William Avery, Langdon, Maggette. They were a great team. I'm quick to call Duke overrated, but look at their schedule that year.

Their only loss before UConn was to Cincinnati (with Kenyon Martin as a junior, one year before they almost ran the table) in Alaska. They had a strong non-conference schedule (I still remember that St. John's game at the Garden when they were in the top ten; top-ten Kentucky; crushed Michigan by 40 right around the time Michigan beat us by 30; Michigan State), and the top end of the ACC was decent that year. Swept top-ten Maryland and swept North Carolina, then beat them by 20+ in the ACC championship.

Yeah, they were a great team.

We were a lot better than UConn in 2011. Unfortunately Marquette happened in the second round.

Oh: 2003-04, at Georgetown, GMac shot to win. I think we'd lost something like five of the last seven games until that

That Kansas win was sneaky important / good.

I think there are four types of wins in this category:

Program changing wins
Season changing or season defining wins
Wins against best teams
Most memorable wins

To me, the Purdue win was a program-changing win. It helped to change the perception of SU from a regional school to a national school and was key in cementing that #1 seed going into that year's NCAA tournament.

Beating Pitt and MSU in 03 were, IMHO, season-defining wins. They helped propel the team to a different level of play.

Although you could base this purely on ranking, I would argue that our two best wins ever were Georgetown in 1985 and Houston in 1982. Both teams were among the most dominant college hoops teams ever (at least until the NCAA final). The irony of the Houston game is that nobody knew, at the time, how dominant that Houston team would become. Phi Slamma Jamma would not be born for another month. They were ranked in the top ten but there were fewer than 20K in the stands for that game.

Most memorable, to me, is purely personal and those would be the Purdue game, the Georgetown game in 1985, and the Wes Johnson coming out party against North Carolina at MSG.

I feel that the '03 Pitt win was every single one of those criteria, and since that was the win that propelled us to our national championship in my eyes, I feel it meets the program changing criteria. It just had everything, a massive statement win, two amazing teams, rushing the court twice, the bomb that went in for Pitt that didn't count, all of it. It just felt different after that win, I am a little too young (32) to state the case for a lot of the earlier program wins, but everything felt different after that Pitt game, Melo clearly stood head and shoulders over every player in the game that year, G-mac had the moxy and for once I knew heading into March that we were going to be the toughest out in the tournament.

I remember when it appeared we were gonna get blown out by Oklahmoma State early just how confident I was, Instead of the here we go again, another stupid march loss feeling creeping in, I noticed that their buckets were of the difficult variety, I knew the zone had them befuddled, and I knew that if we could beat that veteran, tough Pitt team, that we would find our way through, I turned to my father when we were down by like 17 and said, this is gonna be a blowout, but not the way everyone is thinking. I think the MSU and Pitt wins helped settle everyone on the court down too, and the rest they say, is history.

I feel that the '03 Pitt win was every single one of those criteria, and since that was the win that propelled us to our national championship in my eyes, I feel it meets the program changing criteria. It just had everything, a massive statement win, two amazing teams, rushing the court twice, the bomb that went in for Pitt that didn't count, all of it. It just felt different after that win, I am a little too young (32) to state the case for a lot of the earlier program wins, but everything felt different after that Pitt game, Melo clearly stood head and shoulders over every player in the game that year, G-mac had the moxy and for once I knew heading into March that we were going to be the toughest out in the tournament.

I remember when it appeared we were gonna get blown out by Oklahmoma State early just how confident I was, Instead of the here we go again, another stupid march loss feeling creeping in, I noticed that their buckets were of the difficult variety, I knew the zone had them befuddled, and I knew that if we could beat that veteran, tough Pitt team, that we would find our way through, I turned to my father when we were down by like 17 and said, this is gonna be a blowout, but not the way everyone is thinking. I think the MSU and Pitt wins helped settle everyone on the court down too, and the rest they say, is history.
That is a terrific point.

I would agree with you on that. Program changing wins are very rare, for obvious reasons. But I believe that you are correct that Pitt qualifies. The NC was certainly a program changer.

Historically?

To me, the biggest game was early in JB's tenure, when Louie & Bouie beat Purdue at Purdue with Joe Barry Carroll at center. National TV. I think Purdue was #2 in the nation at the time. That game announced us as a national program, showing that the 1975 Final Four appearance was not a total fluke.

I think another huge game for our program was beating St. John's at the Garden, at the end of Pearl's freshman year. Pearl had all this hype, and his freshman year we played North Carolina (#1 with Worthy and Jordan?), Marquette, Oklahoma, Georgetown, Villanova, and we lost to them all. Where's the beef?

But then, toward the end of the year, a couple games before the post-season, we went down to the Garden and beat the Mullin team by a bucket. To me, that meant that with Pearl we could compete with the behemoths of the still new Big East.

I actually sat on the bench for that Purdue game.

It was the national Sunday game with Dick Enberg, Billy Packer and Al McGuire.

Eddie Moss made two or three great defensive plays at the end of the game and Roosevelt Bouie made some noise that day.

It was a huge win.

But, by that time, SU BB had already become a national program - that happened, as noted below, during JB's first season - and the first seasons for Louie & Bouie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom