What will it take to fix the Yankees? | Syracusefan.com

What will it take to fix the Yankees?

Hoo's That

Living Legend
I grew up following the Yankees of Mantle, Berra, Maris, and Ford. So these days are a bit rough to take. Being down in the DC area, I hear next to nothing about player moves, etc. After the results of this year, it's easy to understand there's a lot to fix. I there any speculation on the direction Cashman will try to move the team? Does the farm system need to be replenished? Has Jeter's body given out on him?

I'm really glad I found this board because I'm really, really tired of the Braves fans (Richmond was their AAA team for the longest while) on the UVa board.

All depends if they're serious about "Plan $189 million".

Cano will have to be the first domino to fall.

Then we'll know.

I will take a page out of Cali's handbook. They screwed this up a long time ago with not trading Hughes, Chamberlain, and Nunez when they had value. Especially with Nunez who just sat behind Jeter and AROD.
I implode the whole thing when it comes to position players. Jeter needs to take a pay cut. Grandy, Ichiro, Wells, Soriano, Youk, and Chamberlain are gone.
I would try a sign and trade with St. Louis for one of their young arms and maybe Carpenter for Cano.
Figure out your scouting and farm system. It's terrible. So many busts and lack of development is appalling.
Somehow they need to get younger. That means taking risks on younger guys. They always go for the middle aged run of the mill players that are borderline or washed up then pay them way to much even if its a one or two year deal.
I would go after Stanton in a trade with the Marlins. Loria will trade anything for cash. Then in FA McCann to solidify the Cather position. Then pray Pineda comes back healthy and in shape.

I will take a page out of Cali's handbook. They screwed this up a long time ago with not trading Hughes, Chamberlain, and Nunez when they had value. Especially with Nunez who just sat behind Jeter and AROD.
I implode the whole thing when it comes to position players. Jeter needs to take a pay cut. Grandy, Ichiro, Wells, Soriano, Youk, and Chamberlain are gone.
I would try a sign and trade with St. Louis for one of their young arms and maybe Carpenter for Cano.
Figure out your scouting and farm system. It's terrible. So many busts and lack of development is appalling.
Somehow they need to get younger. That means taking risks on younger guys. They always go for the middle aged run of the mill players that are borderline or washed up then pay them way to much even if its a one or two year deal.
I would go after Stanton in a trade with the Marlins. Loria will trade anything for cash. Then in FA McCann to solidify the Cather position. Then pray Pineda comes back healthy and in shape.
MLB isn't the NBA, they don't do sign and trades. Why would St Louis trade for Cano when they can just sign him to the ridiculous contract he's going to get?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I grew up following the Yankees of Mantle, Berra, Maris, and Ford. So these days are a bit rough to take. Being down in the DC area, I hear next to nothing about player moves, etc. After the results of this year, it's easy to understand there's a lot to fix. I there any speculation on the direction Cashman will try to move the team? Does the farm system need to be replenished? Has Jeter's body given out on him?

I'm really glad I found this board because I'm really, really tired of the Braves fans (Richmond was their AAA team for the longest while) on the UVa board.

So that means you were there for the lean times of 1964-1975 and 1982-1993. This year was nowhere near those times. Going forward they can't add any more long contracts. Overpay Cano with money, not years.

Farm system must be improved. I agree with those that say go with younger players. Quit signing old players who are over the hill. Like someone else said, don't make the mistake of giving Cano a contract with to many years. Look at what the Red Sox accomplished in one year by relying on their farm system and making smart signings. I am not convinced that Brian C. is the right man for the job.

Honestly, the offense gets a lot better if guys can just stay healthy.

First priority is resigning Girardi.

I don't mind giving Cano a lot of money, but that deal can't be fore more than 6 years.

I don't know how you fix the farm clubs. The thing that held them back this season was the starting pitching I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

First priority is resigning Girardi.

I don't mind giving Cano a lot of money, but that deal can't be fore more than 6 years.

I don't know how you fix the farm clubs. The thing that held them back this season was the starting pitching I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You can fix a farm system by making better choices during the draft and looking at Latin America for talent. The Yankees passed up on three Cuban ball players that could have really helped them (Chapman, Cespedes and Puig). Chapman throws the ball a 100 mph and would have been the natural successor to Mo but apparently they weren't willing to pay for any of the three. Instead they sign Ichiro for two years and give Youkilis a 12 million dollar contract (damaged goods and Red Sox to boot). They trade for Pineda and he is also damaged goods. I can't believe that the Mariners were not aware of his problem. His velocity had dropped during the second half of the season prior to being traded. The Yankees should have been suspicious.

I believe they need to get rid of Brian C.

You can fix a farm system by making better choices during the draft and looking at Latin America for talent. The Yankees passed up on three Cuban ball players that could have really helped them (Chapman, Cespedes and Puig). Chapman throws the ball a 100 mph and would have been the natural successor to Mo but apparently they weren't willing to pay for any of the three. Instead they sign Ichiro for two years and give Youkilis a 12 million dollar contract (damaged goods and Red Sox to boot). They trade for Pineda and he is also damaged goods. I can't believe that the Mariners were not aware of his problem. His velocity had dropped during the second half of the season prior to being traded. The Yankees should have been suspicious.

I believe they need to get rid of Brian C.
How realistic is some of that stuff though? Obviously you can improve your farm team by drafting better, but it's not like I think the Yankees wanted to pick guys that haven't panned out. As for Chapman, Cespedes and Puig, are we even sure the Yankees could have signed those guys? It's not the days of whoever the Yankees want, the Yankees get.

Pineda-Montero has been a bust all around.

They trade for Pineda and he is also damaged goods. I can't believe that the Mariners were not aware of his problem. His velocity had dropped during the second half of the season prior to being traded. The Yankees should have been suspicious.

In all fairness, the guy we sent them (Montero), is also damaged goods. Can't catch at the major league level, injury prone, and linked to PEDs.

It's a wash.

I thought that this was a post from some Clemson fan on how they were going to defeat the Yankees of Syracuse. Wow thought we had their game plan!

How realistic is some of that stuff though? Obviously you can improve your farm team by drafting better, but it's not like I think the Yankees wanted to pick guys that haven't panned out. As for Chapman, Cespedes and Puig, are we even sure the Yankees could have signed those guys? It's not the days of whoever the Yankees want, the Yankees get.

You can also improve your farm system through trades which is what the Red Sox have done. But to make good trades, you need good scouts (which is also true when looking for Latin American and Far East talent) And you must also be willing to give up something in return. Cano before last season started for instance, would have brought a couple of top prospects. The Yankees aren't particularly interested in prospects, which suits them fine because they also have a terrible minor league development program as well.

And not for nothing, but the Yankees were pretty exciting and had the best record in baseball during the 1980's. They just didn't have any post season success. It was the early 1990's teams (90-93) that really sucked.

But it's an old team. They might have some better luck with injuries, but you should expect some of these guys to be hurt next year also.

I can't see them letting Cano go. But I couldn't see Dwight not staying with the Lakers.

MLB isn't the NBA, they don't do sign and trades. Why would St Louis trade for Cano when they can just sign him to the ridiculous contract he's going to get?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
ARod-Soriano was a sign and trade with cash considerations involved. It was just a thought because I think the Cardinals are only missing a mega star to win it all. They might even win it all this year but it helps them solidify being on top with the Dodgers in the NL.

I just don't see any reasons for Cashman to stay. This team's future is so tied up in old players with long contracts that they are handcuffed. He's part of the problem. If I were Girardi unless they throw a bunch of money at me then I'm gone.

I wouldn't consider Soriano a sign and trade; A-Rod was signed in 2001 and Soriano was still under team control, right? To echo a point made already, why would the Cards trade players AND money for Cano? If the Yankees had Cano signed to a contract that the Cards would be willing to take on and give up a player for, they should just keep Cano at that contract then. (Also a sign and trade is literally written into the NBA CBA; I'm pretty sure you can't trade a FA for a period of time after he signs his contract.)

I wouldn't consider Soriano a sign and trade; A-Rod was signed in 2001 and Soriano was still under team control, right? To echo a point made already, why would the Cards trade players AND money for Cano? If the Yankees had Cano signed to a contract that the Cards would be willing to take on and give up a player for, they should just keep Cano at that contract then. (Also a sign and trade is literally written into the NBA CBA; I'm pretty sure you can't trade a FA for a period of time after he signs his contract.)

I think you are right. June 1? Sometimes a trade won't be made unless one of the teams gets a contract extension on a pending free agent. Could be that is what happened here (I don't remember).

Don't know about Puig, but It is my understanding that they could have had both Chapman and Cespedes have they been willing to pay the money. I do miss the boss. On a more positive note. I will always remember the night Reggie hit was it 3 0r 4 home runs in the World series. I was laying in a hospital bed after undergoing nose surgery and remember jumping off the bed every time he hit one.

All depends if they're serious about "Plan $189 million".

Cano will have to be the first domino to fall.

Then we'll know.
If hegoes he goes. The biggest mistake would be to give him huge $ fornwith a long term deal. A little faith in kids on the farm coming up to playnat the MLB level is required. Geezer reliability has failed and always will.This sport depends on reflexes and coordination which are steadily lost with age. Even the greatest succumb to this as per Willie Mayes demonstrated regretfully.A good team features at least one rookie a year to the big test which requires at least a good run into the season if their prior performance earns them the opportunity.The Yankees have about every Dominican Republic player that has shown anything under contract and playing down low.nOne kid that must be given a chance is DePaula (sic)?

So that means you were there for the lean times of 1964-1975 and 1982-1993.

Yes. OMG, those days were painful.

There's a great book about the pre-64 Yanks you young whippersnappers will like called "Dynasty - When rooting for the Yankees was like rooting for US Steel." Probably out of print now.

I thought that this was a post from some Clemson fan on how they were going to defeat the Yankees of Syracuse. Wow thought we had their game plan!

I went to UVa, but I grew up on The Island.

ARod-Soriano was a sign and trade with cash considerations involved. It was just a thought because I think the Cardinals are only missing a mega star to win it all. They might even win it all this year but it helps them solidify being on top with the Dodgers in the NL.

I just don't see any reasons for Cashman to stay. This team's future is so tied up in old players with long contracts that they are handcuffed. He's part of the problem. If I were Girardi unless they throw a bunch of money at me then I'm gone.
There is no chance the yanks can trade for Stanton. everyone wants him and others have chips to trade as well as cash.

The Yanks and Phillies are in similar situations. Aging clubs burdened with huge, ill-advised contracts; weak minor league systems made even weaker by trading off prospects for stopgap players; and huge fan bases that don't take kindly to a rebuilding.

I think both teams need one (and Philly needs to get rid of Ruben Amaro, Jr.), but I don't see either doing it. If the Yanks insist on a newly-imposed fiscal prudence, I don't see them being better next year w/o Rivera and Pettitte, among others.

I think the Yankees are going to try and stay under the $189 next year, but then I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to spending insane amounts of money

I think the Yankees are going to try and stay under the $189 next year, but then I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to spending insane amounts of money

The Yanks are in the 50% luxury tax bracket right now. If they can get below $189 mil for 2014, they can spend as much as they want in 2015 and they'll only be taxed at 17.5%.