What Will It Take... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What Will It Take...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’ll tell you to reserve judgment until next year, and maybe we give him one more chance to see what he can do with an infusion of talent... but the real question is — what is the minimum bar for next season?

Me personally? Anything less than a top 4 ACC finish and sweet 16 and JB should retire. I’ll puke if everyone starts lowering the bar and celebrate just being off the bubble.

3 NITs in the last 4 years should be met with very little patience at this point.

Sweet. I'm not the only one on this board that's sick of this dreck. A top 4 ACC finish should be a reasonable expectation given the "hype" that this incoming class has generated. A deep ACC tourney run and an appearance in the second weekend is the absolute minimum for me too.

But think about that. Why is that the case?

Many reasons that we’ve discussed over and over. It sucks, but we saw it coming and now it’s basically over.

I mean, these guys up above are throwing out “we’ll be 25-7 and out in round 2”...umm, what? Lol.

That's a different subject. And if you want to open it, you have to acknowledge that we have a nice class coming in next year.

It should be a significantly better team.
should be? for all we know battle, brissett and dolezaj all leave and we are back at square one.

Many reasons that we’ve discussed over and over. It sucks, but we saw it coming and now it’s basically over.

I mean, these guys up above are throwing out “we’ll be 25-7 and out in round 2”...umm, what? Lol.
No comment on that.

You're telling me that getting 8-9 ppg out of Moyer on a consistent basis wouldn't help the overall offense and take pressure off Frank and Tyus? Come on.

Getting 8-9 ppg out of Moyer...as if it’s a choice. Did Boeheim “get” 22 ppg out of Melo?

These guys aren’t robots just waiting for a genius coaching scheme to get them buckets. Moyer isn’t good at anything on offense yet.

should be? for all we know battle, brissett and dolezaj all leave and we are back at square one.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Most likely we get two of three back. We may get all three back.

I think you guys need to relax. We lost Thompson, Thorpe, Washington, Sidibe (partially), Chukwu came back off of 3 eye surgeries, Howard is playing his first year as a true starter, and a damn 6'9 180 small forward was practically playing center for the second half of ACC play. If we would've known this before the season started what record would you have predicted? I definitely would've never guessed 18-13 or 19-12.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people using the sanctions as an excuse. Whose fault are the sanctions? Even if we think the sanctions were BS whose fault is it that the NCAA doesn't like JB?

JB has done tremendous things at Syracuse, accomplishments no one can take away. But along with accepting the accolades comes accepting the heat for our lack of success in the ACC, recruiting and the sanctions. You can't take credit for the positives but refuse to own the criticism.

IMO the future isn't going to get any better until we have a new coach. Sure we may see a bump next year with our 2018 recruiting class. But good luck after that. One tournament bid in 4 years, and the oldest D1 coach don't bode too well.

I love Syracuse and if I was a good high school player I wouldn't come here. We're a sinking ship.

I don't want to like your post, but can't disagree with any of it.

But he will be back and the demands will be high. At January 1st next year, I want the tourney talk to be what do we need to do to get the Hartford Pod (as a top 4 seed).

So I'm saying something that's resonating with you. That's my whole point. It's getting harder and harder to defend this brand of mediocre Syracuse basketball.

There should be no reason why we finish any worse than 5th in the ACC in any given year.

Duke
UNC
Virginia
NC State/Miami/Louisville
Syracuse

zero reason.

Last edited:
But it won't be. We'll go like 25-7 and flame out in the second round of the NCAA tournament when we face a hot shooting team. I'm with TinyManInside on this one. Next season is not going to be vintage 2012 34-3 dominance.

We won’t go 25-7 . No freaking way .. it will be like this year only a bit better

We won’t go 25-7 . No freaking way .. it will be like this year only a bit better

Fine. I'll set the over/under at 26.5 total wins. I'll take the under.

I think you guys need to relax. We lost Thompson, Thorpe, Washington, Sidibe (partially), Chukwu came back off of 3 eye surgeries, Howard is playing his first year as a true starter, and a damn 6'9 180 small forward was practically playing center for the second half of ACC play. If we would've known this before the season started what record would you have predicted? I definitely would've never guessed 18-13 or 19-12.

BUT WHOSE FAULT IS IT THAT THEY LOST ALL THOSE GUYS!!!

And a good coach would draw up the trickiest of plays that would have that 180 pound guy getting WIDE OPEN BUCKETS!

Just kidding. I agree with you.

So I'm saying something that's resonating with you. That's my whole point. It's getting harder and harder to defend this brand of mediocre Syracuse basketball.

There should be no reason why we finish any worse than 5th in the ACC in any given year.

Duke
UNC
Virginia
NC State/Miami
Syracuse

zero reason.

No Louisville? No Virginia?

You said "in any given year," so take it we're not dwelling on Louisville's current troubles.

Chukwu is uncoordinated. He's not "mechanically inclined," like Mr. Martinelli told Peter Brady at his bicycle shop.

Getting 8-9 ppg out of Moyer...as if it’s a choice. Did Boeheim “get” 22 ppg out of Melo?

These guys aren’t robots just waiting for a genius coaching scheme to get them buckets. Moyer isn’t good at anything on offense yet.

He's averaging 4 a game right now doing nothing. Two more layups/putbacks and he's at 8-9. Having 1 designed play for each guy to try and mix it up when our offense is struggling shouldn't be a tall task for a HOF coach.

No Louisville? No Virginia?

You said "in any given year," so take it we're not dwelling on Louisville's current troubles.

No, I missed them. Fair point. So after the class of the ACC (Duke and UNC) we've got UVA, Louisville, Miami, etc. Surely we can have the expectation to be in the mix with those next tier conference schools, no?

BUT WHOSE FAULT IS IT THAT THEY LOST ALL THOSE GUYS!!!

And a good coach would draw up the trickiest of plays that would have that 180 pound guy getting WIDE OPEN BUCKETS!

Just kidding. I agree with you.

Putting Dolezaj at the high post and running the offense through him for a few plays each half isn't a good idea? Your gaslighting and exaggeration is really contributing to the conversation.

Again, put guys in positions to succeed. We knew after 2-3 OOC games that Dolezaj was a more than capable passer. So utilize his strengths. Have some curls where he's handing off the ball to our guards.

It's really not rocket science.

No, I missed them. Fair point. So after the class of the ACC (Duke and UNC) we've got UVA, Louisville, Miami, etc. Surely we can have the expectation to be in the mix with those next tier conference schools, no?

Totally agree with you. We should be solidly in that group on a consistent basis.

He's averaging 4 a game right now doing nothing. Two more layups/putbacks and he's at 8-9. Having 1 designed play for each guy to try and mix it up when our offense is struggling shouldn't be a tall task for a HOF coach.

So...it’s just that easy to double a guys scoring average even if he lacks offensive game? Cmon. You’re just not being realistic on that one.

Putting Dolezaj at the high post and running the offense through him for a few plays each half isn't a good idea? Your gaslighting and exaggeration is really contributing to the conversation.

Again, put guys in positions to succeed. We knew after 2-3 OOC games that Dolezaj was a more than capable passer. So utilize his strengths. Have some curls where he's handing off the ball to our guards.

It's really not rocket science.

They did that against Duke. If he was a better offensive player, and was surrounded by better offensive players, it would’ve worked better.

It’s really not as simple as you make it. These guys don’t magically become good if you just run certain sets.

They did that against Duke. If he was a better offensive player, and was surrounded by better offensive players, it would’ve worked better.

It’s really not as simple as you make it. These guys don’t magically become good if you just run certain sets.

I hear that. But having Frank and Tyus just jack up threes with 20 seconds left on the shot clock isn't really great offense either. The answer isn't to go to more ISO ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom