What's Worse? Anger or Apathy? | Syracusefan.com

What's Worse? Anger or Apathy?

Ozcuse

All American
If this was a week or two ago I would be angry about the same coaching mistakes, same secondary mistakes by the same players, and same excuses by HC and supporters.

I just don't care anymore. I can't be the only one.

What is worse for Syracuse football? A bunch of angry fans and alumni, or apathetic ones who lose interest until a change is made?

Anger in a relationship means you still care.

Apathy usually means you don't.

Apathy is way worse and have become the waters we've ventured into for football. Watershed moment for Cuse. Do we want to compete in the ACC or not? The fans will know by the status of Shafer come next year.

Apathy has to be worse, you lose supporters you might not come back. With anger you are usually still invested into the program.

Totally agree. I have no problem with the anger right now because I'm glad they still care enough to be angry.

I am a die hard, clearly, I'm venting on Halloween with y'all. However, if we lose to Clemson, oh well, at least Clemson could rep the ACC in the Playoff...

Wait, what!? Why tf do I think that!? Apathy has set in and it sucks.

If this was a week or two ago I would be angry about the same coaching mistakes, same secondary mistakes by the same players, and same excuses by HC and supporters.

What is worse for Syracuse football? A bunch of angry fans and alumni, or apathetic ones who lose interest until a change is made?

I've been angry since USF, but I reached the apathy stage today.

So far, apathy works better for me. My blood pressure is lower, and I feel like I may sleep well tonight.

I got kicked out of the chatroom today for criticizing Shafer. So I guess I still fall into the anger camp. But I'm creeping towards apathy. It's depressing to see how eager people seem to be to accept such a crappy product. And to defend ongoing, consistent ineptitude.

If Shafer gets another year - wonder what the attendance will be at the first game next year - against Colgate (I think it's Colgate)? 10,000 people maybe? Anyone want to see that happen?

My dad has stopped watching - he's an SU grad, class of '62. He's moved on. He didn't even ask me today how the game was. I'm not quite there - yet.

Do the right thing Coyle.

What also contributes to apathy is at a place like Syracuse, you have 2 coaching options - a coach that can't win - see Robinson, Greg. Or, a coach that has success, not even fantastic success just moderate. He leaves for a better job. See Marrone, Doug or even Macpherson, Dick. Long term, it's a no win situation. Not to mention, recruiting at a high level has been an almost impossible task here.

I'm currently in the same boat. I'm usually swearing and yelling at the tv when things are going bad. Today I was just watching, and shaking my head because none of this was a surprise. I realize it's what I expected to happen (the before halftime debacle). It's game 8 and I already accepted defeat once again. There is only so much you can take.

Unfortunately this is what has already happened to 75% of our fanbase. It's why there is 25k people in the stands for conference games. It's just taking us longer to accept that our football program is a doormat.

I really hope Coyle gets the message when there is 30k in the Dome for freaking Clemson who could be the top team in the country by then, and maybe 15-20k vs. BC. If Coyle doesn't get that message then I will start to question if he's the right guy for the job either. Usually AD's are looking for a reason to bring their guy in. Well he has got plenty of them. it's time to cut the cord. I trust Coyle will make the right decision.

I haven't missed a game in more than 20 years. I didn't watch today. Nuff said.

I have to say I was angry after the USF and UVA losses. At the end of the Pitt game I was like "here we go again" and today it's apathy. I will never give up my season tickets because I love SU football but I just cannot get upset anymore. I am numb to the poor coaching decisions and simply write it off to us watching the lowest paid coach in the ACC in the midst of an on the job training program.

I was talking to my brother in law tonight, big Philadelphia fan because of Mcnabb, Obviously was a Syracuse fan and he couldn't care at all about the game today, or last week for the matter. Apathy has definitely set in, it's brutal and until you have anything to cheer about, the fan base is going to continue to decline. The answer to fan support is simple, win and the numbers will come back.

If Shafer loses nine games in a row, I will be disapointed and hopeful that change will be made
What's really bad is WHEN is actually more likely then an IF in that sentence.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Scott Shafer is not a head coach. He is a defensive cooridinator. And there is nothing wrong with that for him.

But for us, unfortunately SU had to cheap out and go with an inexperienced guy who had no previous head coaching experience at that level of the sport.

I could be wrong, but people who make those kind of mistakes, GAME AFTER GAME. They don't just stop making those game losing decisions after they get better recruits in. If that was true Oklahoma, Miami, Tennessee, USC basically all be undefeated and vying for championships every year. Coaching matters just as much as recruiting.

Neither. I'd describe it as disappointed. Yet hopeful.
It boggles my mind how folks on this board can't be hopeful when you see the % of youth/young players making plays on this team. Being hypercritical, writing manifestos about a football coach's on Halloween is a poor way of going through life.

I'm at the point where I'm just numb to the program. It really pisses me off that we have been down this long and have turned into temple. How could gross let it get this bad. As far as I'm concerned this is all on him. Grob hire over perianni. Even Marrone wasn't all that good he just brought us back to p,s last few years Level. Now another step back two years in a row. I like shafer and want him to win here but at the end of the day if he can't manage another win and some improvement something needs to be done. When I tell people I'm watching the game they laugh at me. When I post go orange on fb people ask is there a game, is it on tv, or my favorite why are you putting yourself through that. I'm really starting to wonder if it save able.

As someone else stated, I am getting very close to the same feeling I had in the last year or two of GERG. Back then, I was serious shopping around for other college teams to follow (after following the team for every game since '88), regularly, because the program had been so decimated by the man.

Now, once again, that feeling of "on any given day" is no longer present. Dungey is the only thing keeping me tuned in/attending for the remainder of this season.

I was firmly in the camp of HCSS getting thru 2016, even after the Virginia loss (when I first started having serious doubts about that conviction). I felt the D would eventually grow up, and be a semblance of the TO-generating, sack machine it has been in years past (even if, in some of those years, they still gave up the big play regularly). I also felt the O was on the cusp of something very special and fun to watch. I did not want to rock that particular boat, given our years of offensive ineptitude.

Now I think we need to cut bait sooner, rather than later.

I'm still angry and disappointed. I'm not angry at the team. I'm somewhat angry at the HC and his assistants, but not to the point where I am calling for their immediate dismissal.

I am perhaps angriest at past members of the AD's office, the chancellor's office and certain members of the BOT who have refused to commit the resources necessary for Syracuse University to compete at a true BCS/P5 level. I'm not painting with a broad brush, but we have a rough idea who the individuals have been who have given lukewarm support to the football program and those who have mismanaged the resources the program has been given.

I do know this, if Scott Shafer is given his walking papers and we hire on the cheap again I'm done with SU until we admit that what we really aspire to is FCS football. When that happens I'll probably come back to cheer on the Orange against Fordham, Colgate and Holy Cross.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom