When the QB isnt a threat to run | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When the QB isnt a threat to run

Im not going there re heart. I have no reason to question that. But its sort of an awareness issue for me. Why doesn't be know this?
I guess we’ve been spoiled the last few years with Dungey, who would do whatever he could to move the ball forward. Throwing the ball away on fourth down seems the total opposite of that.

TD isnt a runner. He is a pure pocket passer. Maryland hasn't had worry about him running at all. This allows an extra body for anything Locks desires. Pressure coverage ECT. Eric demanded a spy, Eric bought time for his wrs to get open and most importantly Eric had tons of experience.
I have confidence that TD is going to end up being an exceptional QB. My guess is he hits his stride the second half of the season. Im still bullish on
8-4 with a great finish. The kids a leader and a competitor. He just needs game snaps.
Last point Maryland is legit and if they stay healthy they are going to be a very tough out.
Go Orange!

He looked very one dimensional today.

Dungey asked more questions of defenses than Tommy did against MD.

Very much so.

But it's more layered than that because his running threat had to be accounted for, and now that's non-existent and we're not strong enough playing straightforward offense to compensate.

Couldn't help but notice how spread out our d looked, and how congested Maryland's d made the field look. ALso, on read action, from what I saw, it seemed they crashed the running back every single time.

Tommy doesn't have to go crazy, but he's going to have to take positive gains when they are there, instead of just running parallel to the line of scrimmage, when he has 6-7 yards available in front of him.

one thing i noticed early in the game. the seams were open. there were lots of mismatches there vs the LB. And instead we had TD dumping these lateral passes to the sidelines, that the DBs were cheating on (thus the open seams). We finally started looking at those routes in the late 2nd and 3rd and had a decent amount of success.

We need to empower this kid to look for those slants and not the dumpoffs and screens. They are easy, safe-ish passes that can help boost confidence early.

I don’t know too many big time modern collegiate offenses that have pure pocket passers that rarely ever run/have the threat to run.

ESPECIALLY ones that don’t have above average talent on the OL and skill positions.

Even Clemson runs Trevor Lawrence 5-10 times per game by design.
How many times did the Maryland QB run today?

How many times did the Maryland QB run today?
You need talent, decision making and accuracy to sit back and be a pocket passer in modern day college football.

As of right now, we are 0/3.

Maryland’s OL was better. Skill positions better. QB better.

And he did run a time or two on a keeper. He just didn’t need to.

You need talent, decision making and accuracy to sit back and be a pocket passer in modern day college football.

As of right now, we are 0/3.

Maryland’s OL was better. Skill positions better. QB better.

And he did run a time or two on a keeper. He just didn’t need to.
This offense doesn't need a running QB necessarily, what we need is an offensive line that can pass block for more than 1.5 seconds.

Hes pretty quick we should have designed more runs for him like we did with Dungey. Apart from the risk of injury of course.

He really needed an easy home game to get things going with his WRs this week or last.

He’s quick running sideways and backwards...has he turned it upfield yet this year?

There were several occasions today where if he just ran after making his initial reads, he woulda got 5 yards minimum every attempt. So instead of 2nd and 5 it’s 2nd and 10 and then a run play to make it 3rd and 8. Boom done. If he ran Then the passing game opens up more... I’m not convinced by any means this system is built for a pocket passer. There’s zero tempo with TD versus Dungey. ZERO. And it’s ridiculous.

He’s quick running sideways and backwards...has he turned it upfield yet this year?
I agree, and the one time he turned it up, he had the fumble.

one easy thing TD can fix- on 4th down always throw towards SOMEONE. Even if he seems covered. I would rather an INT 30 yards downfield than a turnover on downs
I agree, but people ripped him last week for throwing downfield on 4th down and getting picked.

If we have to go with Welch because Tommy gets injured running the ball, then so be it. We aren't talented enough to overcome letting opposing defenses just discount the qb running...

You don’t gotta try to jump over and karate kick defenders, but you can’t throw the ball away on 4th down...multiple times.

You don’t gotta try to jump over and karate kick defenders, but you can’t throw the ball away on 4th down...multiple times.
Unfortunately we have all our eggs in one basket this year; but Rex could probably punish some defenders.

TD isnt a runner. He is a pure pocket passer. Maryland hasn't had worry about him running at all. This allows an extra body for anything Locks desires. Pressure coverage ECT. Eric demanded a spy, Eric bought time for his wrs to get open and most importantly Eric had tons of experience.
I have confidence that TD is going to end up being an exceptional QB. My guess is he hits his stride the second half of the season. Im still bullish on
8-4 with a great finish. The kids a leader and a competitor. He just needs game snaps.
Last point Maryland is legit and if they stay healthy they are going to be a very tough out.
Go Orange!

For a guy that doesn't run, Devito gave up on a lot of plays early to tuck it. People have already mentioned the throwaways. Pressure was heavy but there was panic there too.

Could we bring back some direct snap plays/wildcat?
Taj was a hs qb, no? Or have Moe or Abdul lineup under center for a quick few yards to keep the drive going...