Wheres #8 Been? | Syracusefan.com

Wheres #8 Been?

bothsocksup

Starter
Surprised I passing game hasnt been centered more around getting Steve the ball. IMO our best playmaking receiver

This may be why

EDIT: Ishmael has 10 catches for 101 yards through 2 games in 2016

Ishmael had 4 catches for 82 yards through first 2 games in 2015.
Has SU published their injury report yet? It was rumored that SI might be injured and unavailable.

Steve's on a pace for 60 catches. But that's not alot in this offense. I'd like to see more of him and Estime getting the ball for more balance. Phillips is good and AET is great but the idea is to spread the field.

As teams look to bracket AT and Phillips, then Ishmael is going to get more touches. It's inevitable.

Some of the lack of touches is because he's our best WR blocker so he's counted on to block that edge for the WR screens.

I can't see the big picture from TV, but several people said we called some pump and goes against LVille but the WR's couldn't get off the line. I'm curious who those WR's were? Because I see this playing big down the road with Steve. As the CB gets used to Steve blocking those screens, Steve's going to set up to block and then beat the CB deep.

Cant compare last years stats with this year.. this year completely different animal. Etta towa has been great so far, not knocking him, but he doesnt have Steve's hands. IMO ishmael is our best receiver...only thing i can think of is that teams are putting their best corner on #8

Some of the lack of touches is because he's our best WR blocker so he's counted on to block that edge for the WR screens.

Definitely a big reason, so I hope he's healthy for Saturday. Don't see Butler being able to step in so well on this role. Given the lack of time that Dungey has, we'll continue throwing these. They're working pretty well.

Good news is that we have a 3-headed monster at WR (AET, Erv, Ishmael), with several others more than capable of contributing (Custis, Cornelius, Riley, Butler, Estime). Definitely bullish on our receiving corps.

I kinda miss Ben Lewis. He would do well in this offense IMO.

Agree, although to ET was such a nice consolation prize. But Lewis with his blocking especially could have been an asset.

Any word on Custis? Between end of practices and now the games, he's missed considerable snaps. Wonder if he ends up back next to Enoicy, with the red zone fairly obvious jump ball role.

Good news is that we have a 3-headed monster at WR (AET, Erv, Ishmael), with several others more than capable of contributing (Custis, Cornelius, Riley, Butler, Estime). Definitely bullish on our receiving corps.

Agree on Lewis

Cant compare last years stats with this year.. this year completely different animal. Etta towa has been great so far, not knocking him, but he doesnt have Steve's hands. IMO ishmael is our best receiver...only thing i can think of is that teams are putting their best corner on #8
Etta Tawo has proven to have very, very good hands plus he has the speed to stretch the field. Steve doesn't have the "big play", get behind the defense kind of speed that ET has.

I wonder when we'll begin to see more pass plays designed for the middle third of the field? With his size and ability to go after the ball, I think Steve would excel in this role.

Etta Tawo has proven to have very, very good hands plus he has the speed to stretch the field. Steve doesn't have the "big play", get behind the defense kind of speed that ET has.
I disagree if he has the #3 corner covering him or a safety or doesn't have anyone else with over the top coverage. ED just needs more time so he can use his progressions more frequently.

I wonder when we'll begin to see more pass plays designed for the middle third of the field? With his size and ability to go after the ball, I think Steve would excel in this role.
I don't think this offense runs plays to wide receivers in the middle of the field.

I don't think this offense runs plays to wide receivers in the middle of the field.
You could be right. I haven't watched much Bowling Green tape so I have no idea.

Any word on Custis?

Haven't heard anything new about Custis, but I'd be surprised if we see him anytime soon, if at all.

Haven't heard anything new about Custis, but I'd be surprised if we see him anytime soon, if at all.
What type of injury does he have? He has a redshirt available.

imagine if we didnt go 3 and out 70% of the time. if teams can play press we will have issue. UL had 3-4 DBs that had better speed than our WR so we have a huge issue getting anything down the field. the BG kid Deiter has 3 catches at Alabama and would have killed it here this year.. of course he may win a NT at Bama.

we need speed at WR, it seems like every team has more speed at WR than our DB and more speed at DB than our WR.. until that ends it will always be an uphill battle.

Amen. Its on ED. As much as I love him, he has been looking left 80% of yhe time and defenses will see this. Ett sets up to the left most of the time and ish to the right. Not sure why most of fhe reads are to etts side.

Would love to see us work the middle of the field more. Along with Dungey being able to go through his progressions, or find the right matchup. It's gonna take time. The system doesn't seem to work the middle so much, but until we have the players in place we may have to adjust a bit. I have all the faith in the staff, and Dungey to continue to improve. This week will be a huge indicator on what our trajectory will be this year.

Would love to see us work the middle of the field more. Along with Dungey being able to go through his progressions, or find the right matchup. It's gonna take time. The system doesn't seem to work the middle so much, but until we have the players in place we may have to adjust a bit. I have all the faith in the staff, and Dungey to continue to improve. This week will be a huge indicator on what our trajectory will be this year.

AMEN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom