White addition moves us from 8th to 4th in this pre-season prediction... | Syracusefan.com

White addition moves us from 8th to 4th in this pre-season prediction...

I think this is the year UVA takes a step back but I think us with Duke and UNC will be the top 3. Should be a really fun year.
I hope they do take a step back, but as high as I am on our team this year, UVa looks like they've reloaded very well and will be a tough game. They return Perrantes, who is as good as any PG in the country, and bring in Austin Nichols, who would be in the NBA right now in all likelihood if he didn't transfer from Memphis and sit out a year. Losing Gill and Tobey up front hurts, but I think the combo of Nichols and Isiah Wilkins, who's a very strong defender, are just as good. The question is how much does losing Brogdon hurt them, but they bring in four 4 star recruits, including Kyle Guy, who's a borderline 5 star and lights out shooter. I guess it'll depend on how fast some of these guys come along, but I don't see UVa being any worse this year. But either way, I think we take them! The games will just be tough battles.

I hope they do take a step back, but as high as I am on our team this year, UVa looks like they've reloaded very well and will be a tough game. They return Perrantes, who is as good as any PG in the country, and bring in Austin Nichols, who would be in the NBA right now in all likelihood if he didn't transfer from Memphis and sit out a year. Losing Gill and Tobey up front hurts, but I think the combo of Nichols and Isiah Wilkins, who's a very strong defender, are just as good. The question is how much does losing Brogdon hurt them, but they bring in four 4 star recruits, including Kyle Guy, who's a borderline 5 star and lights out shooter. I guess it'll depend on how fast some of these guys come along, but I don't see UVa being any worse this year. But either way, I think we take them! The games will just be tough battles.

Perrantes is good. I don't think Wilkins is as physical a player at Gill even though he is near the same height. I like Nichols but he is a 6'9" white guy that can't shoot. He averages like 12 pts and 5 boards in the AAC. I'm not saying he is bad but the idea that he would "be in the NBA" right now I'm not sure of. He will be good and his style of play fits them perfectly. It's actually amazing he went anywhere but there really. I think losing Brogdon is huge because he did so much for them. In general I think they won't be as good but the problem with them is it's hard to predict because they do so much holding that the games turns into something outside of basketball. It never gets called and I honestly don't understand it. I mean I look at their roster and think Cuse, UNC and Duke will be head and shoulders better but we could still lose to them because of the refs and style of play.

Yep, their style of play is maddening. Living here in Charlottesville, though, that made it so much sweeter watching that beatdown against UVa last April after having to listen to everyone saying how bad they were going to beat up on the Cuse! The fans at least were totally looking past us! Bottom line for this year, I think the home team wins btwn the 2 teams, and we eek out a victory if we face them in the ACC tourney.

I think this is the year UVA takes a step back but I think us with Duke and UNC will be the top 3. Should be a really fun year.

UVA is awfully deep. They lost some serious talent, like we did, but they have more continuity and depth returning than we do.

Perrantes is good. I don't think Wilkins is as physical a player at Gill even though he is near the same height. I like Nichols but he is a 6'9" white guy that can't shoot. He averages like 12 pts and 5 boards in the AAC. I'm not saying he is bad but the idea that he would "be in the NBA" right now I'm not sure of. He will be good and his style of play fits them perfectly. It's actually amazing he went anywhere but there really. I think losing Brogdon is huge because he did so much for them. In general I think they won't be as good but the problem with them is it's hard to predict because they do so much holding that the games turns into something outside of basketball. It never gets called and I honestly don't understand it. I mean I look at their roster and think Cuse, UNC and Duke will be head and shoulders better but we could still lose to them because of the refs and style of play.

Yeah, they are the Butler of the ACC. No question.

What does their schedule look like this year? I feel like they've caught a break in the past.

UVA is awfully deep. They lost some serious talent, like we did, but they have more continuity and depth returning than we do.

I think they take a minor step back, but I would not sleep on them, they will be solid.

4th??

How can Duke, UVA and UNC all go flawlessly undefeated too?

I get these prognostications--we lost a lot of experience / production from last year's team. #4 is actually pretty high when you take that into account. The good thing is that if the team gels, we could far exceed that projection.

I get these prognostications--we lost a lot of experience / production from last year's team. #4 is actually pretty high when you take that into account. The good thing is that if the team gels, we could far exceed that projection.

UVA lost the conference player of the year and their two best bigs. UNC lost their two best players from a 30 win team.

The prognosticators think their replacements are better than ours... At least that's how I read it.

UVA lost the confernce player of the year and their two best bigs. UNC lost their two best players from a 30 win team.

The prognosticators think their replacements are better than ours... At least that's how I read it.
I wouldn't sweat it, "experts" are usually never right.

I wouldn't sweat it, "experts" are usually never right.

I'm not, but sometimes I think these guys are lazy when they make predictions.

EDIT: I'll add that going to Wisconsin for the ACC/B1G Challenge in December will be an early litmus test for these guys. Wisconsin has everybody back this year on what is expected to be the best team in that conference. We will know where we stand and where we need to improve very early...

UVA lost the conference player of the year and their two best bigs. UNC lost their two best players from a 30 win team.

It seems that the prevailing theory is we lost 14 games last year and lost three key guys, I guess they forgot about the fact that we got to the Final Four, and have a really good recruiting class, and some impact transfers coming in.

The way I read it is: UNC and Duke are always projected to the top of the ACC, and UVa is understandably front of mind due to the year they had last year.

On paper, I believe we're every bit as talented as those three, and could legitimately WIN the ACC if the team gels. Luckily, preseason ACC rankings don't matter one bit once they toss it up.

Last edited:
This team has a high ceiling, not saying they will reach it but the potential is through the roof .
I'm saying they will reach it. :)
Take note, board brethren, I book!
XLairk.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors