Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison | Syracusefan.com

Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison

20plus

2nd String
For Syracuse comparison it’s a lot of Melo with body type and passing dribbling

He’s also just a touch more athletic than Carmelo and not the shooter. Who else do you think his game is most like?

Melo? Good grief. I think the kids going to be good, but there’s a lot of pre anointing going on before this kid has even played a regular season game.
I’ve seen a lot of Benny and I’m not the first to compare him to Melo. As I said he doesn’t have the touch or range to be in the same league! There’s a lot of similarities good grief! The whole point of the thread is to get a better comparison than Melo!

I’ve seen a lot of Benny and I’m not the first to compare him to Melo. As I said he doesn’t have the touch or range to be in the same league! There’s a lot of similarities good grief! The whole point of the thread is to get a better comparison than Melo!

So have I. You just compared him to a top 75 player of all time. I’ll be happy if he can replace Quincy’s production and their style of play doesn’t look anything remotely similar to each other. He’s likely the 3rd option on this team for now.

Billy Owens was significantly more polished at this stage, but he had similar size and skillset. Billy was more of a shooter and had a better handle, but I think Benny might have a greater ceiling as a post player / player in the paint.

Honestly, I was thinking about Derrick Coleman last night, only I'm thinking Benny's has a more complete game than DC when he was a freshman. Same height/athleticism. I think when he becomes our top rebounder, the comparison will be more apparent.

Are there ways Benny doesn't compare favorably to DC?

Honestly, I was thinking about Derrick Coleman last night, only I'm thinking Benny's has a more complete game than DC when he was a freshman. Same height/athleticism. I think when he becomes our top rebounder, the comparison will be more apparent.

Demeanor.

As a freshman, DC was one of the great college rebounders from the jump.

Here's the thing with DC. He was told by JB as a freshman "if you want to score, go get rebounds, I'm not running any plays for you". And Derrick said "Okay, coach".

Bennie should get the same speech.

Good lord, we've got comparisons to Melo and DC right out of the box. Can we dial back expectations to a more reasonable level. If we get 8ppg and 5rebs out of him off the bench this year I'll be happy.

Here's the thing with DC. He was told by JB as a freshman "if you want to score, go get rebounds, I'm not running any plays for you". And Derrick said "Okay, coach".

Bennie should get the same speech.

Why would you not run plays for benny? Hes shown the ability to get by guys and has good vision. His passing has been super impressive. Id run some plays for him.

Good lord, we've got comparisons to Melo and DC right out of the box. Can we dial back expectations to a more reasonable level. If we get 8ppg and 5rebs out of him off the bench this year I'll be happy.
It would probably help me to dial back my expectations if long-time observers like yourself could point out some of the ways--other than attitude--that Benny doesn't compare favorably to Derrick Coleman in his freshman year.

I'd be happy to be set straight with a few keen observations, but simply invoking the knee-jerk "Don't be too optimistic!" cant isn't really helpful, quite honestly...

It would probably help me to dial back my expectations if long-time observers like yourself could point out some of the ways--other than attitude--that Benny doesn't compare favorably to Derrick Coleman in his freshman year.

I'd be happy to be set straight with a few keen observations, but simply invoking the knee-jerk "Don't be too optimistic!" cant isn't really helpful, quite honestly...
While DC was a capable ball handler and passer in the open court, I don't remember him initiating offense from the wing very often, especially as a freshman. Although we have only seen two preseason games, Benny looks much more like Billy Owens in that regard.

I'll go with Jerami. Great leaper. Not a great ball handler yet. Not a great shooter yet. Maybe more physical than Jerami and a better passer/more court vision. What is going to help Benny the most is the experience of the other players. Helping him with positioning on defense and taking the load off of him offensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom