Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison

As a freshman (after watching two games in), he kind of reminds me in some ways of Chris Mullin. Before you kill me for this comparison (yes I know Mullin was an all time great shooter, played the 2 and was not the athlete Benny already is), what I see is a talented young guy who plays under control, doesn't force shots and looks to pass, maybe too much. That was what Mullin was like when he was a freshman. I think Benny, like Mullin did, is getting his bearings, deferring to more experienced teammates and showing poise, patience and confidence beyond his years. I also get the sense that like Mullin, Benny is a student of the game and not some entitled AAU hero.

I expect Benny will initially put up solid numbers and then, once he feels comfortable doing so, will assume a huge role and win some games for the Cuse.

Honestly, I was thinking about Derrick Coleman last night, only I'm thinking Benny's has a more complete game than DC when he was a freshman. Same height/athleticism. I think when he becomes our top rebounder, the comparison will be more apparent.

Are there ways Benny doesn't compare favorably to DC?
Are you f kidding me? DC is the best player in the JB era. An All American, #1 pick, all time rebounder and one lucky shot from Final Four MOP as a freshman. He could grab a rebound, dribble the court and either get the assist or score.
IMO it’s an insulting comparison. Benny is poised to play lots of minutes but would have been 8th man at best in the 86/87 team.

For you older folks, how about a taller and beefier Stevie Thompson with a little better shooting skills and better passing skills.

For you older folks, how about a taller and beefier Stevie Thompson with a little better shooting skills and better passing skills.

So - pretty much nothing like Stevie then.

But otherwise -

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

Except he was a drop dead shooter

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. He worked the baseline a lot, and they had no 3 point shot back then until his senior year, when he hit 38% from three.

For comparison, Greg Monroe was of the same graduating class and hit 43% from three for us in a similar number of attempts.

Reggie only shot 43% from the field as a frosh, mostly shooting from within 15 feet.

He reminds me of this guy that played at Central Arkansas - although Benny had his growth spurt in high school instead of college

Seriously KrisJo seems like a good comp. I’d even go so far as a destitute mans Carmelo.

Seriously KrisJo seems like a good comp. I’d even go so far as a destitute mans Carmelo.

I remember KrisJo as mostly having "straight line" speed, especially on the break, and not being the kind of guy who uses spin moves on the baseline like Benny does. Spins along the baseline was more of a C.J. Fair staple.

Have to agree with the sentiment that Benny is most reminiscent of Benny Williams.

Have to disagree with those who say he's the best passing SU forward...or cite others of recent vintage such as Gbinje or Elijah Hughes or Marek.

No forward...NO ONE who ever played forward in the Boeheim era...could pass like Leo Rautins.
And no one is close.

It's understandable that people who suggest others probably never saw Leo play.
But it's kind of sad that his skills are so largely forgotten.
Almost as sad as the fact his career was crippled by severe knee and back injuries.

Have to agree with the sentiment that Benny is most reminiscent of Benny Williams.

Have to disagree with those who say he's the best passing SU forward...or cite others of recent vintage such as Gbinje or Elijah Hughes or Marek.

No forward...NO ONE who ever played forward in the Boeheim era...could pass like Leo Rautins.
And no one is close.

It's understandable that people who suggest others probably never saw Leo play.
But it's kind of sad that his skills are so largely forgotten.
Almost as sad as the fact his career was crippled by severe knee and back injuries.

Great post! Despite Andy's very impressive years on the Hill, I kinda feel like Leo is one of our forgotten Greats. Leo, Bruin and Santifer won a Big East tournament, and they were the bridge between Bouie / Louie and the Pearl teams. Very important player in SU history, and I have to think he has helped us with Canadian recruiting over the years, just by being a Raptors broadcaster, and one-time coach of the National team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom